ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Lane Kiffen coaches 1 year...

IMO, Kiffin is the best scheme-coach in the conference. He's got P5 coaching talent, but his off-the-field antics make him somewhat radioactive to ADs who value stability and predictability.

100% agree. Look at what they did. And look at what UAB and North Texas did compared to where they were a few years ago.

MT needs to up their expectations. This is silly that this program has been stuck in neutral for so long and the higher ups seem to be fine with that. How can you ever take the next step if the AD doesn't expect more.

This conference has improved beyond MT. They really better watch it or they will quickly be a bottom feeder. Facilities, coaching, etc. they are falling behind.

Reactions: Hop45
Coaching matters, and it matters a lot. These big universities are not paying people like Saban, Sweeney, Fisher, etc. millions upon millions of dollars because they're bored. Every program is made or broken with its coaching staff.

When it comes to CUSA and where we play ball right now, teams in this conference more or less recruit the same caliber of players. Teams like Marshall and WKU get a slightly higher quality prospect but it doesn't give them some sort of prohibitive advantage. They're more than beatable with a competent team and coaching staff.

CUSA isn't the Sun Belt. This is a bigger conference with better teams and in order to win this conference you MUST have a complete team. Complete team = good special teams, star QB, high quality OL, effective receivers and RBs, and a respectable defense.

In the 12 years Rick Stockstill has been here, I'm not sure we've ever had a complete team. Maybe 2009. Maybe. Other than that, there's always been something missing. I really can't ever envision this team or program winning CUSA unless drastic changes are made both in terms of our coaches but also the players we are recruiting. Across the board, we're just not good enough. And to be fair. It's very hard to build a complete team. You never know which recruits are going to pan out and how your units will play year-to-year. It's difficult to bring in immediate help if you're anticipating a problem somewhere, so if you've recruited poorly for a certain group it can really hurt you for 2 or 3 years or even longer if you can't get it figured out. Look at all the OL players that have already committed. This is not a coincidence. Our staff knows our biggest weakness is OL.

Even in what I consider a down year for CUSA (Beyond FAU, there's no real "good" teams in this conference), we were hardly able to muster 4-4 in the conference. I understand we had injuries, but every team deals with injuries and having adequate back-ups is part of having a complete team.

100% agree. Look at what they did. And look at what UAB and North Texas did compared to where they were a few years ago.

MT needs to up their expectations. This is silly that this program has been stuck in neutral for so long and the higher ups seem to be fine with that. How can you ever take the next step if the AD doesn't expect more.

This conference has improved beyond MT. They really better watch it or they will quickly be a bottom feeder. Facilities, coaching, etc. they are falling behind.
Facilities - Basketball (upper half of conference, maybe upper third) - Football (lower half, maybe bottom third)
Coaching - Basketball (upper third in both mens and womens) - Football (bottom third)
Talent level - Basketball (upper third in both mens and womens) - Football (bottom half)

Just my opinion.

Proclaiming bowl eligibility is falls on deaf ears. It has become somewhat of a running joke.

Too much money being spent on our return.

Regarding our football facilities, what could be done? It has been 20 years since the upgrade. Are you guys thinking of a revamp of the entire stadium because we are poor. That isn't changing. I don't see an indoor facility soon because you need excitement to pool money and donors. We are at a big LULL.

Why CRS doesn't see how he is failing the program is beyond me. Time to retire Rick.

Last edited:
The facility aspect, or lack there of, is becoming a very concerning issue. Our facilities were outdated needed upgrades when Stockstill was HIRED. We are going to be able to sell the stuff in our facilities to antique shops here pretty soon.....

Many teams around the conference and other regional teams that we compete with for recruits have vastly improved their facilities and built in-door practice facilities OR they have plans to do so. Arkansas State just announced a $30 million renovation of their stadium, and many other teams are building and/or have plans to build (can't remember names off the top of my head).

Since joining D1, we have literally done nothing for our program besides some new turf and a big TV in the stadium. That isn't gonna cut it. The fact that we don't even have announced plans for some sort of expansion is deeply concerning. And I don't want to hear the we-are-broke money argument. Every other school in this conference and in the SBC faces the same financial issues we do but they're finding ways to make it work.

Last edited:
What does it take to buy stuff? Hummmmm?

Just about every other program in our conference (and the sun belt) except maybe UL-Monroe doesn't seem to have a problem coming up with $$$ for upgrades. Like I said, I don't wanna hear the money boo-hooing. If those schools can find ways to get things financed, then we should be able to as well.

Our problem starts with the AD. Spoken directly to me, his statement was my coaches all get along and are easy to manage. This is the kind of f#/kn AD management we have. He doesn't give two shits about winning, only getting by. If anyone doesn't understand our coaching, outside of Scherer, sucks then I have no hope for you. Lane Kiffin is laughing at every coach in this piss poor conference. He has more coaching ability in his little finger than our 12 year f#/kn experitment.

FYI... I left all the sinks running last home game! Take y'alls master plan to another level! Once we get everybody to drop their donations (step 1) we run off future recruits (step 2) and next increase expenses to increase the financial hardship on the program (step 3)

Still confused on step 4, seems to be complain about a lack of capital (irony anyone) but looking forward to you catching me up soon!

Reactions: BlueRaider95
Just about every other program in our conference (and the sun belt) except maybe UL-Monroe doesn't seem to have a problem coming up with $$$ for upgrades. Like I said, I don't wanna hear the money boo-hooing. If those schools can find ways to get things financed, then we should be able to as well.

Has anyone noticed our stairwells particularly the southeast corner of the stadium? Maybe not to the point of danger yet, but steps are quite rusty. Noticed while at the ODU game. I see other deferred maintenance issues at 20 years old and if we don’t take better care of what we have, it’s going to be prohibitive expensive to fix in about 7-8 years, when our stadium expansion approaches 27-28 years old. Goes without saying about how undesirable rust appears to an observant eye. Our facilities are serviceable, but that’s about all by 2017 standards. We are merely “getting by”.

Our problem starts with the AD. Spoken directly to me, his statement was my coaches all get along and are easy to manage. This is the kind of f#/kn AD management we have. He doesn't give two shits about winning, only getting by. If anyone doesn't understand our coaching, outside of Scherer, sucks then I have no hope for you. Lane Kiffin is laughing at every coach in this piss poor conference. He has more coaching ability in his little finger than our 12 year f#/kn experitment.
If he really said that then there is zero hope for this athletic program and it only validates previous concerns of mine as to his motivation and commitment to growing this athletic department.

If he really said that then there is zero hope for this athletic program and it only validates previous concerns of mine as to his motivation and commitment to growing this athletic department.
My thoughts as well as I listened to him. Could not believe my ears. He's really coasting and has no intentions of rocking the boat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT