ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Kermits gone

TrueBlue147

All Conference
Mar 19, 2008
Who do we want to replace him? Do we keep our signed recruits? Do we trust Massaro to make this imoortant hire to keep momentum going?

I will always be grateful for what Kermit did for the program. Took the program to unprecedented heights.

But, and maybe this makes me a bad fan, I feel like he is quitting on us. I really believed he wanted to see this thing through. This was HIS program. He had become the face of the university. We get snubbed and then he bolts for the $. Almost like if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Human nature I guess, greener pastures...

I will always be grateful for what Kermit did for the program. Took the program to unprecedented heights.

But, and maybe this makes me a bad fan, I feel like he is quitting on us. I really believed he wanted to see this thing through. This was HIS program. He had become the face of the university. We get snubbed and then he bolts for the $. Almost like if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Human nature I guess, greener pastures...

I get the same feeling. I truly believe that if we had gotten into the NCAA tourney, he would have stayed. It just seems like that us not getting in hit him like a ton of bricks. So much so that he came to the realization that he feels he can't do anything more at this level. Sad thing is that Ole Miss will be a big rebuilding job. It took him a long time to get it right here(some say too long). If he doesn't have the ship righted in 3 years at Ole Miss, he will be on the hot seat.

Kermit is 58 years old and what he will make at Old Miss will set him and his family up for life. Close to Mom and Dad and other family. Going to be close to home.Three to five years there and if doing good more. Can't say I blame him. I think the "Little Middle" attitude of the admin. might have had something to do with this move.

Hard to fault him if he is truly going to make $2.8 million/per as I have read. If true, would you turn down 2 extra million per year for the next 4 years?

Yeah I think if we had gotten an at large he would have stayed. You could hear it in his voice in the interviews. He was shook up not making it this year. And his quote on Midday 180 was "it's only going to get worse." I hate to see him go but I can't blame him. He can't stay here for ever. I think he would be great on TV so after a few years at an sec school he could probably do that as well. Just so many more opportunities from there. Plus I think we are in a great place to attract an up and comer. I think he knows that. We just have to pick the right one.

I figured Kermit would have wanted to see it through.

Hard to pass up life-changing money though with the ability to really sack some coin away for retirement. I don't blame him at all for taking the job....it just sucks he won't be here to see it through because we truly were developing into a nationally branded team.

Whoever we hire needs to bring and keep spreading that same message, be a great defensive mind, and be able to recruit like hell. Sucks that he is taking Hamilton with him.

One problem I see in getting someone that is going to advance the program is when they ask, "what kind of media coverage do you have?". The admin comes back with , " oh ! we have the titan of the airways 1450 wgns that almost reaches the county line. Nothing in Nashville but we are Rutherford counties only university, We are "Little Middle"!

One problem I see in getting someone that is going to advance the program is when they ask, "what kind of media coverage do you have?". The admin comes back with , " oh ! we have the titan of the airways 1450 wgns that almost reaches the county line. Nothing in Nashville but we are Rutherford counties only university, We are "Little Middle"!
At least Davis was able to really work the media circuit well. The Nashville TV media has been paying attention to us, more so than Vandy it seems, over the last few years. But yes the Little Middle mindset of the admin will be an obstacle... as it always is.

I think being able to tell them we have one of the strongest FM stations in the state that reaches into Miss., Alabama, and KY on Campus would be a big selling point. Since the Admin. has a contract with some outfit out of Nash. to play Americana Music and not carry MT athletics and instead uses WGNS so parts of Rutherford Co. can here some of the games might not work so well. As for streaming on the internet that's great for younger people and those that have internet but what about older alumni and people that don't have internet.

I don’t understand the mentality or the marketing behind making a 1000 watt daytime and 250 watt nighttime station the flagship. It was fine when we were MTSC, but not with FBS football and a top tier C-USA program (enjoy while it lasts). Have nothing against WGNS and am an avid listener to some programs—always remember WGNS I my childhood being top 40, oldies, and news talk. But, if our own university is pulling the plug on prime coverage, why should the masses care (rhetorical)? WMOT is a Class A FM station with reach into four other states on a good day. I’m in my car, and it’s far easier to lock 89.5 on the dial. Having that channel presence is immense, but somebody in a decision making capacity either doesn’t care for sports or sees some kind of enterprise that is a net gain of something. Not good for building fan engagement, that’s for sure!

goblueraiders.com, excerpt::
http://goblueraiders.com/news/2018/3/15/mens-basketball-kermit-davis-a-reflection.aspx?path=mbball
Comments on Davis from inside the department

MIDDLE TENNESSEE PLAYER QUOTES
"He's given me four years of just a consistent coach which is something I definitely asked for when I got into the program and while I was being recruited. I just wanted someone who was going to be here for me consistently and he definitely was true to his word. To have an opportunity like this is huge for him and we all respect this decision that he is making and the way that he has gone through with it. I wish him luck and I am definitely happy for him because he's put in a lot of hard work. He has definitely set this program on the right path and myself as well as an individual." - Senior G Edward Simpson

"He's given me another opportunity to come in and enjoy the game. I have all the respect for him and I'm glad he's getting the opportunity to continue winning at a high level. In his years at MT he has done everything he can and given a lot to this program and I'm sure everyone is happy for him." - Senior F Nick King

"He gave me an opportunity to play division I basketball and that's something I'll always be thankful for. I've really enjoyed playing for him and learning from him and I wish him the best. He is an incredible coach and person and we are all happy for him to have such a great opportunity back in his home state with his family." - Senior G Giddy Potts

I don’t understand the mentality or the marketing behind making a 1000 watt daytime and 250 watt nighttime station the flagship. It was fine when we were MTSC, but not with FBS football and a top tier C-USA program (enjoy while it lasts). Have nothing against WGNS and am an avid listener to some programs—always remember WGNS I my childhood being top 40, oldies, and news talk. But, if our own university is pulling the plug on prime coverage, why should the masses care (rhetorical)? WMOT is a Class A FM station with reach into four other states on a good day. I’m in my car, and it’s far easier to lock 89.5 on the dial. Having that channel presence is immense, but somebody in a decision making capacity either doesn’t care for sports or sees some kind of enterprise that is a net gain of something. Not good for building fan engagement, that’s for sure!
This station should be used primarily for sports talk or all talk MTSU. Period.

Reactions: TruBluCop
Kermit’s getting 2.5 million per year, 4 years.

$900,000 for staff.

For perspective, that’s more than Roy Williams at UNC.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
wow....exactly what i said it would take for him to leave......4 years at 2.5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT