ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Kermit's 2019 recruits

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
According to VerbalCommits the first of the previous staffs' 20+ scholarship offers has trimmed his list and removed MT from consideration. Interesting is that this 4 star player now lists several $EC school and Memphis and Louisville but not included is Ole Miss.

As I stated before not only did the coaching change cause MT to lose a heralded class but we were "in on" a much higher level player in many cases than we had been able to look at before the recent successes. Much easier to lose momentum than to gain it for a %$&-major BkB program.

Not necessarily. We may not have made the cut even if Kermit had stayed.

I think some of you are reading too much in Kermit's ability to get players here. The core of our success was grad transfers (many who had special seasons and few 2 star players that developed supplemented with JC guys.

Kermit's strength was in game coaching, not recruiting. I also don't believe he was a great developer of players. Now last year we did have a higher rated recruiting class but no way to know if that was the new norm or an outlier.

I hope I'm being rational here when I say that it clearly appeared that recruiting was on an upswing. Every signee we had in the last (lost) class had firm "power" schools offers apparently. First time ever. Additionally we were getting "in on" and offering higher regarded prospects. Not to mention most were high schoolers. If you have been following MT recruiting and offer lists you would agree we were making a move up.

I agree we are unlikely to sign, even under the best of circumstances, players who are 4 and 5 star and are offered by multiple "power" schools. I get that. But I also would argue that the players who are 2.5 or 3 star are potentially better prospects than the 2 stars we've been primarily getting. If UAB, WKU, and other C-USA schools are getting higher rated players there is no reason MT couldn't have with our recent success.

I've been a MT fan since the Earle days and IMHO we were ready to take the next step in recruiting and national respect. Now McDevitt will have to show it's not back to square one.

I agree. I think with this class Kermit had signed we were FINALLY starting to get some higher level recruits in, with that being said, I don't think Kermit was a good recruiter and we never really had exceptional players here. I think he was an excellent game coach though. Hopefully, MCdevitt will prove to be a better recruiter.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Losing an "in" on some recruits is part of any coaching change, but it's also an opportunity to get "in" on some new recruits and access new recruiting pipelines.

G5 programs should hope a P5 school poaches their coach, even if it means losing out on a recruit or two. It means they are doing something right.

ADVERTISEMENT