ADVERTISEMENT

Kennesaw State to CUSA 2024?

It would mean to me that MT has spent nearly three decades spinning their wheels with the most worthless collection of athletic and university leadership, committing fraud on their alumni, season ticket holders and fans.
Indeed. It hurts with JSU, Kennesaw, etc. But man it is a gut punch when it is an in-state former conference mate rival school, one we even took a coach from.

It would mean to me that MT has spent nearly three decades spinning their wheels with the most worthless collection of athletic and university leadership, committing fraud on their alumni, season ticket holders and fans.
True but here we are. We ain't changing it.

• Sad
Reactions: RaiderDeez
Ending up with APSU as a conference mate. You might as well end the program.

You failed.
The confernce failed, not us. We could have gone MAC but nooooooo. AAC is not an option. As long as Memphis is there, we are here. If we would have stayed in the belt, we would have been fine.

The confernce failed, not us. We could have gone MAC but nooooooo. AAC is not an option. As long as Memphis is there, we are here. If we would have stayed in the belt, we would have been fine.
That is what is crazy about all of this. The SBC is now better than CUSA. Who ever would've thought that 15 yrs ago.

If it is going to be another TN school at least let it be UTC. APSU would be a tough pill to swallow. I’ve been fine with JSU/KSU so that’s a lot of me to say.

That is what is crazy about all of this. The SBC is now better than CUSA. Who ever would've thought that 15 yrs ago.

I feel like a lot of it's our fault. We had all the G5 potential in the world back in 2013.

Look at the teams that joined with us:

FAU: 2 CUSA conference titles, Off to AAC
North Texas: Just played for title, Off to AAC
ODU: Off to AAC- at least showing some ambition
UTSA: 2 conference titles, 2 ranked teams, Extremely successful, off to AAC
Charlotte: Off to AAC - showing some ambition.
Western KY (2014): Conference titles, ranked teams, successful program. Stuck with us because they have no market.

And then there's us and LaTech - the ugly girls. At least LaTech has an excuse - they're a small school in the middle of nowhere with no market potential.

It's not hard to see that CUSA was counting on the potential of programs like Middle to take that step forward. Instead, we've done nothing and now we're stuck with an FCS lineup.

I feel like a lot of it's our fault. We had all the G5 potential in the world back in 2013.

Western KY (2014): Conference titles, ranked teams, successful program. Stuck with us because they have no market.

And then there's us and LaTech - the ugly girls. At least LaTech has an excuse - they're a small school in the middle of nowhere with no market potential.

It's not hard to see that CUSA was counting on the potential of programs like Middle to take that step forward. Instead, we've done nothing and now we're stuck with an FCS lineup.
Oh it's I'd say 90% our fault. I think the other 10% is luck. Those schools wouldn't be in the AAC if the B12 hadn't taken Cincy, etc, who wouldn't be gone if not for TX and OK.

But we absolutely didn't do much for that 90% to be able to take advantage of the 10% luck when it was there for the taking.

And it won't do a super whole lot of good now. I don't see Memphis going to the B12 as their new media deal allows for the $ to stay the same only if they add P5 schools. Adding a G5 would cause the per school amount to lower. And we all know there won't be a MT in the AAC as long as Memphis is around. A couple conf champs and at least start of facilities would've been really nice within the last 5-6 years.

Oh it's I'd say 90% our fault. I think the other 10% is luck. Those schools wouldn't be in the AAC if the B12 hadn't taken Cincy, etc, who wouldn't be gone if not for TX and OK.

But we absolutely didn't do much for that 90% to be able to take advantage of the 10% luck when it was there for the taking.

And it won't do a super whole lot of good now. I don't see Memphis going to the B12 as their new media deal allows for the $ to stay the same only if they add P5 schools. Adding a G5 would cause the per school amount to lower. And we all know there won't be a MT in the AAC as long as Memphis is around. A couple conf champs and at least start of facilities would've been really nice within the last 5-6 years.
And that's why I was pro MAC. I know why folks were against it but it was the only option. The MAC would never get invaded by mid tier FCS schools. The leadership is better. Their conference championship is in detriot on a pro field. At this point, I'm just whatever and will accept the cards we are dealt and dealt ourselves. AAC will never be an option anytime soon. (like 8 years at least)

FAU: 2 CUSA conference titles, Off to AAC - Only because UCF is leaving
UTSA: 2 conference titles, 2 ranked teams, Extremely successful, off to AAC - Only because Houston is leaving
North Texas: Just played for title, Off to AAC - Dallas is a real market for them and they HAD a great AD
Rice and Charlotte - MAKES NO SENSE. Rice could help with Houston departure but......
UAB- should have been invited 4 years ago

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Yeah honestly Charlotte and Rice are trash and shouldn’t have gotten the invite.

The Sun Belt became better than CUSA by bringing up FCS powers and not chasing TV markets.
Right but the FCS teams they brought either won or competed in multiple championship games. App st. not getting invited to CUSA in 2012 was criminal. Beyond stupid. JMU is a power. Texas st. not so much.

Reactions: ewglenn
Right but the FCS teams they brought either won or competed in multiple championship games. App st. not getting invited to CUSA in 2012 was criminal. Beyond stupid. JMU is a power. Texas st. not so much.
I know. My point was more toward what the AAC is doing with chasing markets instead of taking the best programs. Not saying we make the cut either way, but we would be ahead of Rice and Charlotte.

I know. My point was more toward what the AAC is doing with chasing markets instead of taking the best programs. Not saying we make the cut either way, but we would be ahead of Rice and Charlotte.
Not while Memphis is there. Bottom line. As long as they are there, we are here.

Not while Memphis is there. Bottom line. As long as they are there, we are here.
It’s a dumb move by both Memphis and the AAC. Adding rivalries is good for the fan bases as well as tv. I think they should have added rivalries to get the best bang for their buck.

App State (ECU)
UTSA (SMU)
FAU (USF)
UAB (good brand and metro)
Liberty (biggest upside)
ULL (Tulane)
MTSU (Memphis)
WKU (us)

is this still a happening with the ASUN/WAC move to FBS in 2024? You would think CUSA would try to kill that idea. Since SHSU, NMSU, UTEP would fit right into the WAC. ASUN/WAC

is this still a happening with the ASUN/WAC move to FBS in 2024? You would think CUSA would try to kill that idea. Since SHSU, NMSU, UTEP would fit right into the WAC. ASUN/WAC
They’ve continued to talk about it but I highly doubt it goes anywhere. If they do good for them. We can take the best they’ve got in a few years.

It’s a dumb move by both Memphis and the AAC. Adding rivalries is good for the fan bases as well as tv. I think they should have added rivalries to get the best bang for their buck.

App State (ECU)
UTSA (SMU)
FAU (USF)
UAB (good brand and metro)
Liberty (biggest upside)
ULL (Tulane)
MTSU (Memphis)
WKU (us)
I agree but Memphis doesn't want it at all. Regional positioning makes too much sense so it wouldn't fly anyway.

They’ve continued to talk about it but I highly doubt it goes anywhere. If they do good for them. We can take the best they’ve got in a few years.
Do you think giving APSU time to build FBS program is good for MT and WKU. They are already competing for recruits locally and EKU facility wise is ready now. UCA will give Ark St fits with 20 extra ships. Why not gut this and go ahead and take UCA and EKU, that way the western front doesn't leave for the WAC in 2 to 4 years?

Do you think giving APSU time to build FBS program is good for MT and WKU. They are already competing for recruits locally and EKU facility wise is ready now. UCA will give Ark St fits with 20 extra ships. Why not gut this and go ahead and take UCA and EKU, that way the western front doesn't leave for the WAC in 2 to 4 years?
Idk if EKU would fly. No idea what WKU's thoughts are. We sadly are in no position to refuse APSU or anyone. We dont have an option but CUSA.
I've said before we should go after UCA. Sure we are spead out but if we go after an Arkansas school, every state will border another.

I personally think we should set it up with any schools that are ready to jump. Yes I get the view for some associating ourselves with more move-ups, but why not secure our conference. There are 9 teams from ASUN and WAC we haven't plucked yet. Just kill the ASUN with the 4 left. UCA, EKU, APSU, UNA (who is working for a new stadium). Then grab two TX schools from the WAC or even Missouri State and Northern Iowa from the MVC.

The MWC has their niche and will pick the P12 leftovers or get picked itself. AAC is spread around everywhere but without a true border. SBC has their niche. Let's make CUSA a true USA conference but with a border. I've laid out how 16 teams with pods could work and be unique. Even if the MWC gets raided and pulls our western schools we still would be in good shape.

Reactions: mtfblue
Idk if EKU would fly. No idea what WKU's thoughts are. We sadly are in no position to refuse APSU or anyone. We dont have an option but CUSA.
I've said before we should go after UCA. Sure we are spead out but if we go after an Arkansas school, every state will border another.

I personally think we should set it up with any schools that are ready to jump. Yes I get the view for some associating ourselves with more move-ups, but why not secure our conference. There are 9 teams from ASUN and WAC we haven't plucked yet. Just kill the ASUN with the 4 left. UCA, EKU, APSU, UNA (who is working for a new stadium). Then grab two TX schools from the WAC or even Missouri State and Northern Iowa from the MVC.

The MWC has their niche and will pick the P12 leftovers or get picked itself. AAC is spread around everywhere but without a true border. SBC has their niche. Let's make CUSA a true USA conference but with a border. I've laid out how 16 teams with pods could work and be unique. Even if the MWC gets raided and pulls our western schools we still would be in good shape.
I like SIU also.

How long will it be before a SFA or EKU accepts invitation to CUSA?

Or, will the two conferences merge with two divisions : Atlantic & Western.
I don’t think CUSA expands any time soon. I think the ASUN and WAC will try stay separate to maintain 2 auto bids.

I don’t think CUSA expands any time soon. I think the ASUN and WAC will try stay separate to maintain 2 auto bids.
For football there is only one autobid between them. That agreement with scheduling is already in place. Regardless of the new conference being approved.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if in the next 3-5yrs there is a merger if sorts in to CUSA.

For football there is only one autobid between them. That agreement with scheduling is already in place. Regardless of the new conference being approved.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if in the next 3-5yrs there is a merger if sorts in to CUSA.
I was excluding football. The two bids for all other sports will keep them from a complete merger imo.

ADVERTISEMENT