ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Just who are we comparable to?

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
The recent reports by the GoMiddle staff along with the DNJ article by Sparks (I don't for one minute doubt his professionalism as Tennessean VU beat writer or his loyalty to MT as an alumn -he is a good guy; and I do respect with how the GoMiddle staff has approached these issues) which both point to our lack of athletic dept. funding and ticket sales growth have brought up several questions? (not to mention in a recent thread it was shown that our endowment is not growing - a topic for discussion at a different time).

Among these questions which IMHO need addressing is: What athletic department is MT comparable to and what can we learn moving forward? We all remember talk of following the Louisville plan, being like Va. Tech, or of hoping to become the next Boise St. (Butler, Wichita St.,or Gonzaga in BkB). But I would point out that we are not comparable to any these schools:

Louisville, even though in a state dominated by UK, is located in the largest city in the state and has had a dedicated following since back to it's OVC days. Va. Tech, Boise, and Gonzaga are all located in areas where they have little competition for fans and media attention (their own sphere of influence if you will). Both Wichita St. and Butler are located in huge BkB states with high level BkB schools but have carved out their niche and tradition while being in the largest cities in their respective states. A common thread: Location, Location, Location - important not just for businesses and real estate.

I don't have to point out to MT fans the areas where our location hurts us. Many are obvious and I won't take the space to list those I can think of (and I'm sure I would leave some out). It's clear that the enrollment explosion (until recently), being in one of the fastest growing cities and regions in the nation along with being close to an International Airport are not enough to provide growing athletic support at MT.

Can you name one school with all the negatives we have hindering us (or even just a few of them) which is experiencing athletic growth? If so, what can we learn? If there are no comparables then what do we do?

I read this article just the other day about Marshall. It's the same yet it's different. They aren't near a major airport or city. But they are against a school that is "the state's" school. I mean even the state road trucks and state trooper cars are blue and gold. They have their small nick of the state with beyond fanatic alumni. But no general fans.

But the article stated that Marshall had revenue of 30m with a profit of 1.9m and that they are one of the lowest subsidized athletic departments in CUSA (I wonder how their money from the school compares to ours).

But if a small area such as Marshall can be profitable, then we should be able to as well. That will probably be even higher for this year as they just increased beer sales over the stadium.

The recent reports by the GoMiddle staff along with the DNJ article by Sparks (I don't for one minute doubt his professionalism as Tennessean VU beat writer or his loyalty to MT as an alumn -he is a good guy; and I do respect with how the GoMiddle staff has approached these issues) which both point to our lack of athletic dept. funding and ticket sales growth have brought up several questions? (not to mention in a recent thread it was shown that our endowment is not growing - a topic for discussion at a different time).

Among these questions which IMHO need addressing is: What athletic department is MT comparable to and what can we learn moving forward? We all remember talk of following the Louisville plan, being like Va. Tech, or of hoping to become the next Boise St. (Butler, Wichita St.,or Gonzaga in BkB). But I would point out that we are not comparable to any these schools:

Louisville, even though in a state dominated by UK, is located in the largest city in the state and has had a dedicated following since back to it's OVC days. Va. Tech, Boise, and Gonzaga are all located in areas where they have little competition for fans and media attention (their own sphere of influence if you will). Both Wichita St. and Butler are located in huge BkB states with high level BkB schools but have carved out their niche and tradition while being in the largest cities in their respective states. A common thread: Location, Location, Location - important not just for businesses and real estate.

I don't have to point out to MT fans the areas where our location hurts us. Many are obvious and I won't take the space to list those I can think of (and I'm sure I would leave some out). It's clear that the enrollment explosion (until recently), being in one of the fastest growing cities and regions in the nation along with being close to an International Airport are not enough to provide growing athletic support at MT.

Can you name one school with all the negatives we have hindering us (or even just a few of them) which is experiencing athletic growth? If so, what can we learn? If there are no comparables then what do we do?
North Texas, perhaps?

I live in Dallas now and have been to the NT campus several times to watch both football and basketball games. They seem to have the same problem with their program. It's just not considered a big time school in the region. Which I believe is a bunch of bunk since Texas Tech and UNT have approximately the same enrollment numbers. When NT plays SMU or a larger more recognizable school in the region they always have a pretty good showing..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Texas_by_enrollment..

Here are the TN enrollment numbers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_Tennessee

We should have more fan support then we do for sure... Play the OOC schedule and it will draw more interest from everyone.

But, has UNT been successful enough that they give us ideas to move our program forward? I think not (but I'm open to suggestions).

But, has UNT been successful enough that they give us ideas to move our program forward? I think not (but I'm open to suggestions).

I believe that their facilities may be better then Middle's. I have a friend that sits on the board for NT and we have this same discussion. We went to the NT / Middle game last year and had a great time. The suite section where we sat was great. (Comparable to the our Hendricks Club). I believe the only way we are going to generate more interest is to play 2002 type schedule. It is the path to interest from fans and publicity... We need to sell more Blue Raider gear in the Nashville market too!

I think North Texas is the school that I compare our situation with most. They are in a suburb of a large city but still considered part of the metro area. Shadowed by larger football schools. Their success in football during the sunbelt years was interesting. They didn't have a great stadium but won just enough to pull out a couple Sun Belt Championships and bowl trips back when we had only one allotted to the conference.

The difference with UNT is that their basketball is crap and they have no baseball. I guess I'm just thinking of the school itself, considering location, size, athletic budget and the fact that they have their own "UT" gorilla that they have to compete with.

there are some similarities, probably more so than most cusa programs, but unt has what I think is one of the better new cusa football stadiums, though that endzone seating set up is just strange. When they do something facility wise like that it seems to come out better than our low bid aluminum efforts.

I'd say not. I think on all fronts the last decade MT generally has much more success than unt.

Not sure in this age that other universities promotional efforts are anything we should spend a whole lot of time looking at. I'm thinking we need to look more to minor leagues of pro sports and their promotional ideas. I'm amazed when a minor league frachise comes to a town and connects with a populace and is able to make a go of it.

Their basketball may be bad BUT they had Tony Mitchell which is better than a NCAA run.

The difference with UNT is that their basketball is crap and they have no baseball. I guess I'm just thinking of the school itself, considering location, size, athletic budget and the fact that they have their own "UT" gorilla that they have to compete with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT