ADVERTISEMENT

JUCO WR that we need to offer

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Leroy Deshazor “JUCO” 6'2 190 WR

Current offers include Arkansas St. among others. Currently playing out west @ COC, a JUCO that Tony Franklin is very familiar with. This dude is a great possession receiver with pretty good speed. Much more talented than a lot of what we have on the current roster. Hope to see us offer him and pursue him hard. I would like to see some good JUCO's signed for 2020 class as I believe next year things will be aligned for us for a good run.

I personally don't think we need to offer any JUCO Wr's. Our track record for them being successful at MT is abysmal. Just stick with high school guys and let them develop for a few years.

Last edited:
I personally don't think we need to offer any JUCO Wr's. Our track record for them being successful at MT is abysmal. Just stick with high school guys and let them develop for a few years.

I feel like a big part of the problem is the JUCO players that we actually take. Much of the JUCO's we have signed in recent years have had terrible recruiting rankings with little to no other D1 offers, and it has showed mightily. There's nothing wrong with signing JUCO talent, but you need to sign good players.

I feel like the recruiting services do a pretty good job ranking JUCO talent. Remember Rosheem Collins, 3 star JC DT? He was a stud for us. I could find more examples if needed. Many of the other poorly rated JUCO players have done little to nothing for us.

This guy here would be a good take for us. Just watch his film. He's a bigger dude, pretty damn good speed, and great hands. He'll end up with many more G5 offers before all is said and done. We should throw our name in the hat sooner rather than later.

There can be some truth to this statement, in the HS recruiting circuit other schools use JUCO recruiting against you. Arkansas State for example is a heavy JUCO recruiting program which as a HS player makes you feel like you can dwell for the 1st 2 years in a program and then have a JUCO get recruited over you who have put zero time in the system. So there is value in avoiding the JUCO route if you can afford the time needed to develop the position.

Reactions: mtfblue
This dude is a great possession receiver with pretty good speed.

His highlights were a little slim on route diversity, he showed a lot of FADE / GO routes. I saw a few Deep In's and Drag routes and one quick screen and turkey / whip route. His speed wasn't elite based on his separation but he seemed very sure handed (it's a highlight, wouldn't expect a drop) and it seems like he tracks the ball well.

Seemed like all his explosive plays were on those Go routes but like you said as a possession receiver he looks fine. Probably need a 40 on the guy just to figure out if his level of competition was legit or if he has mediocre speed against slow DBs.

Reactions: mtfblue
ADVERTISEMENT