ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Jared Jones 6’10” transfer

What I like is he seemed to contribute more as a freshman as the season went along. A mobile power forward that can score and rebound.

So we now have three transfers none of which we know will be eligible next year. While each of the three is obviously a nice addition to the program on top of the problem of over-signing we could have another year of "just wait until next year - our best players are sitting out".

After last year with Dishman's injury along with Jordan Davis and Jalen Jordan sitting out a transfer year (and a couple of walk-on transfers sitting - I still don't understand that) I was hopeful we would have seen the last of a roster limited by so many scholarship players being ineligible.

What is really encouraging is that regardless of when these three become eligible, baring transfers or injury, we should have three 3-star and two 4-star players on the roster for the next couple of years. Realizing that stars are not everything that is a roster the likes of which has never been assembled in The Boro. Kudos to McDevitt and staff.

And just like that, we have easily (on paper) the best recruiting class we have ever had. Now we get to see if McDevitt can coach when he actually has some decent talent.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Always nice to bring in a talented player of his size. Like Daniel said, the talent is starting to become assembled. Now, can Nick coach them up to win a championship?

I really hope to see a renewed emphasis on defense moving forward. Especially with the improved talent we should have on the floor going forward.

Wow! What an incredible and somewhat surprising addition. Surprising as in unexpected at this time with summer nearing.

Not surprising in the sense that from early on I thought CNM's recruiting philosophy combined with his likable one of the good guys character would likely yield some good recruiting talent with some time. Looks like his approach is starting to pay off. I also have to give CNM credit for finally landing a few taller frontcourt type players that a few of us had been calling for the last couple of years.

It's obvious that I became disenchanted this past season with CNM's on court performance particularly defensive effort and discipline. If these new players are eligible this season, CNM might end up at least making it interesting to see if he can coach them up on court to be a highly competitive team. Obviously this is all early, but this is the the type of talent he has needed to land here to see what kind of success he might be able to achieve.

While I appreciate and respect kingaling42's friendship with McDevitt and his obvious inside info I fail to see the basis for the optimism that most of and possibly all of our transfers will be eligible next year.
IIRC the NCAA deferred action on the proposed "one time" transfer rule and they obviously have a lot on their plate in other areas at this time. Without a change in the transfer rule I fail to see justification for immediate eligibility.
It would appear that McDevitt, and kingaling42 through him, knows something that is not common knowledge.

With all of the transfer that are granted immediate eligibility these days, I will be ticked if at least 2 of the transfers don't get eligible immediately. I wouldn't expect Jones to be eligible though.

Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Hop45
Obviously I have no idea as to the eligibility matters. I'm certainly not onboard with expecting some magnificent turnaround this upcoming season. Last season did me in on hoping for success. I'm currently at the "I'll have to see it to believe it" regarding any success of MT and CNM. That being said, I gotta give some credit where credit is due. It appears that CNM is finally landing some good quality recruits that most of us had hoped he would for the last year or two.

To me, this landing of some seemingly quality recruits is about the first positive development with bball in the last year or two.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
Should see improvement with influx of talent. We will still be young. Best rated talent we have probably ever had. Expectations have to go up if these guys are eligible

Does anyone have any idea how we are making room for him? We are over on scholarships by one. I assume someone is transferring or one of the new guys is walking on which I doubt.

To paraphrase the previous coach: It seems to work itself out.

36+ hours after your query it appears no one has any inside info or has an opinion about how this problem will be resolved. I've never been a fan of oversigning since IMHO it always appears as if either a current squad member could possibly be "run off" or one or more of your signees is suspected of having academic problems. Regardless in today's climate most players realize when they've been recruited over and tend to look for a new home which offers more PT.
We can be sure that when school starts (if it does) the men's BkB team will have no more than 13 on scholarship.

To paraphrase the previous coach: It seems to work itself out.

36+ hours after your query it appears no one has any inside info or has an opinion about how this problem will be resolved. I've never been a fan of oversigning since IMHO it always appears as if either a current squad member could possibly be "run off" or one or more of your signees is suspected of having academic problems. Regardless in today's climate most players realize when they've been recruited over and tend to look for a new home which offers more PT.
We can be sure that when school starts (if it does) the men's BkB team will have no more than 13 on scholarship.
Yea I agree with that. I just am curious to know who.

Is Sims on athletic or academic scholarship? Hell everyone wanted Crump gone. Since Sims came on academic scholarship maybe he goes back to one.

We'll see. If they can't pass the ball without committing a turnover or even setup a pick properly due to ineffective coaching, it might not matter how bbig or good the player is. We might not play this year anyway.

No doubt most of those fans who pay attention would have expected Crump to be the one to leave. Wish him well and thanks for his efforts.

I was really excited when we signed Crump, just based on his size. But most of the time, he just seemed to be kind of lost out there. Good luck to him.

Hopefully Crump will land in a place where he can continue to develop and perhaps experience some success. I appreciated the young man's efforts. It just was an unfavorable situation for him with this current team's roster and needs.

It appeared to me that he made some improvements. That would have been fine if MT had a good to loaded roster where Crump could have developed muscle mass and skills as a forward over 2-3 years in a backup minimal minutes role. He might have been able to be a decent contributor as a redshirt junior or senior. Under the current roster, he had to be a solid contributor at forward immediately playing key minutes that determined the outcome of games. He just was not developed enough in muscle mass and skills to fulfill that role.

Perhaps he could have reasonable success in a backup role with a team in a conference like the Big South. Maybe even a D2 or NAIA team would give him a chance to experience some success.

If most or all the transfers get a waiver to be immediately eligible, then I expect another player or two to Transfer.

Hopefully Crump will land in a place where he can continue to develop and perhaps experience some success. I appreciated the young man's efforts. It just was an unfavorable situation for him with this current team's roster and needs.

It appeared to me that he made some improvements. That would have been fine if MT had a good to loaded roster where Crump could have developed muscle mass and skills as a forward over 2-3 years in a backup minimal minutes role. He might have been able to be a decent contributor as a redshirt junior or senior. Under the current roster, he had to be a solid contributor at forward immediately playing key minutes that determined the outcome of games. He just was not developed enough in muscle mass and skills to fulfill that role.

Perhaps he could have reasonable success in a backup role with a team in a conference like the Big South. Maybe even a D2 or NAIA team would give him a chance to experience some success.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I really thought more of a D2 program would've suited him a lot better.

He should have went to Chipola JC and developed under Donnie Tyndall then see what offers are out there. He would be better after playing under Tyndall for a year.

ADVERTISEMENT