ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Jackson C-USA Freshman of the Week

I really like this kid. 3 star highly rated player coming out of high school. Very well spoken and seems very respectful and raised by a good family. I like that we redshirted him his first year and didn't rush him along. Now he's finally getting his chance and making the most of it. Soft hands, great around the rim, and already seems to be improving on the defensive end. I really believe he can be something special here at MT. An enforcer around the rim on D, and a light footed big man with serious moves down low on the offensive end. If he ever were to develop a mid-range game he could break some records here at MT.

I believe Jackson is a true freshman. Crump is the only RS freshman on the squad.

I believe you are correct. The one note on the current new freshman for CNM is that they were all prep school players. I think that was a brilliant move on CNM's part in recruiting.

For countless years, we all have complained about the amount of JUCOs signed by MT. Most to all of us wanted to see way more HS recruits signed. With the deficits of this roster, especially experienced upperclassmen, it about seemed a desperate situation that would have necessitated signing a bunch of JUCOs. Afterall, that would likely have been the better play for CNM to try to have at least a little more of a competitive roster and team in the short term. Maybe it would have helped to be a little more competitive this season particularly when the early is going has not been real pretty.

To CNM's credit, he resisted the quick-fix temptation and signed only one JUCO. A JUCO Forward at that. The one most needed position for a JUCO if you were going to sign a JUCO. Unfortunately, who could have predicted that the JUCO Forward would get injured early in the season and miss a bunch of games?

Despite all of these pressing matters, CNM turned down the quick-fix quick-turnaround approach for the better long term overall direction for the program. If CNM was going to take the hit in the short term in a move for the better overall long term health of the program, then signing prep-school products was a smart move. CNM was still able to sign three Freshmen, but three freshmen that all have one additional year of growth and experience beyond high school. That at least gave CNM and the team some additional experience for the incoming freshman to try to help what was likely to be some continued growing pains in the near term for the team anyways.

Although the two big injuries early in the season have been near devastating for the already thin frontcourt, Tyson Jackson has risen to the challenge of being thrown into the fire early. He has been making tremendous improvement with the time that he has been forced to play out of necessity. If he had to learn to swim by being thrown into the deep end, learn to swim he has. Tyson Jackson is revealing that he has the tools to be a special player in his years as a Blue Raider.

ADVERTISEMENT