ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL I've never been so apathetic about the start of FB

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
It's probably because of the coronavirus and my concerns of whether or not we should be having school, much less playing sports (I do have kids and grandkids to think of) but I am having trouble having much enthusiasm for tomorrow's game.

Yes, pending something coming up I'll watch the game tomorrow but I haven't even taken the time to enter the schedule on my calendar, I have no plans to sign up for ESPN+ and probably won't. I'm afraid going to games in not in my plans and watching and/or listening to MT sports is no longer "appointment media time" for me. After no sports to speak of for 6 months I'm not sure I'll miss it.

MT FB has been mediocre for some time and recently every time we have a chance to show something positive we lay an egg (12 men on the field, embarrassing - just one of numerous examples). Even when we spend resources we get no ROI (BB stadium). With what is going on in K'ville, Memphis, and on West End it's highly doubtful our BkB will be relevant, comparatively, in the near future. Facing facts when looking at fan support, media coverage, and the complete lack of fundraising for proposed facility improvements it is clear to this long-suffering fan that the 20 +/- year experiment of playing D-1 FB has done nothing to enhance our status in the sports world, even in The Boro, much less throughout Middle Tennessee. To 99% of the area's casual fans we might as well still be in the OVC.

Makes me almost wish I had become one of those MT grads who either never followed MT athletics when in school or forgot about following the BRs soon after leaving campus. Understandable why so many do.

Following MT athletics has been one of my life's most enjoyable and at times, rewarding, hobbies. I had such high hopes for MT athletics 20 years ago. Took a pandemic to make me take a rational look at the program and question my priorities. I have begun to wonder why I renewed my BRAA membership this year.

You are not alone in feeling the way you do. New leadership is what is needed. We've had the same stale leadership for essentially the last 20 years with no accountability and terribly low standards. Until there is a change it will be hard to get people excited again.

What bugs me and has me at the least enthusiastic I have been, is the impending doom I feel. I have no confidence in the coaching staff except to majorly F things up. I'm ready for change, but I know, if anything, the circumstances that everyone is under will be used as an excuse for failure, and a pass for a coaching staff that needs to be looking at homes in one those Florida retirement villages instead of working to get an additional year of vesting in a state pension...

This program has been stale for 10 years. The university needs new leadership from McPhee down. We are standing still which translates to going backwards. A win tomorrow means nothing.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Best time of year! Going to be a great game and season. Blowout win and solid step forward in a return to greatness! Blue raiders ride onto victory!!!!!!!

Reactions: Raiders_55
Me, 9:30 this AM: Woo Hoo, Game Day! Gonna be better this year!

Me, before 1st qtr is over: Nope......same old shit!

I've been much more patient than most..........Stockstill needs to go.

What bugs me and has me at the least enthusiastic I have been, is the impending doom I feel. I have no confidence in the coaching staff except to majorly F things up. I'm ready for change, but I know, if anything, the circumstances that everyone is under will be used as an excuse for failure, and a pass for a coaching staff that needs to be looking at homes in one those Florida retirement villages instead of working to get an additional year of vesting in a state pension...

sigh...

ADVERTISEMENT