ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to move on

I appreciate the article and I agree with most of the sentiment but Rick Stockstill isn't going anywhere. He's clearing almost $1 million per year and creating a secure nest egg for his family in the process. He will be here until we fire him or he is hired away and I don't foresee either of those happening.

Massaro and Stockstill are tied at the hip. They arrived around the same time and after 14 years I'm sure they have a great relationship. Massaro isn't firing Stockstill unless he literally has no option, and since there's no pressure or expectations at MTSU, he doesn't have to fire him.

The best we can hope for at this point is staff changes, and even that's not a given because of the nepotism that is widespread throughout the program.

I appreciate the article and I agree with most of the sentiment but Rick Stockstill isn't going anywhere. He's clearing almost $1 million per year and creating a secure nest egg for his family in the process. He will be here until we fire him or he is hired away and I don't foresee either of those happening.

Massaro and Stockstill are tied at the hip. They arrived around the same time and after 14 years I'm sure they have a great relationship. Massaro isn't firing Stockstill unless he literally has no option, and since there's no pressure or expectations at MTSU, he doesn't have to fire him.

The best we can hope for at this point is staff changes, and even that's not a given because of the nepotism that is widespread throughout the program.
Oh, I agree. He's not going anywhere. He's at MT until he decides he doesn't want to be at MT.

I have another piece in the works that you may like though

Everybody who is on twitter should retweet that to everyone they know loves MT on twitter.

Anybody have the twitter for Board of Trustees????

If Stockstill can't be fired all the pressure needs to be put on firing Masarro. He is the one that got us in this mess in the first place. He doesn't have the big contract. Mcphee and the board are useless so I doubt that happens but that 's where the pressure needs to go.

Stockstill should be saying this. However, I don't think he cares about the university that much. He cares about his players and coaches but not the program, fans, alumni, university, and community.

"Out of 130 FBS head coaches... Only 16 were hired before the 2010 season (12%)"

The 16 before 2010:

Ferentz (Iowa) : 161-104 [.608]
Patterson (TCU) : 172-70 [.711]
Gundy (OKST) : 129-63 [.672]
Solich (OHIO) : 112-81 [.580]
Whittingham (UU) : 131-62 [.679]
Fitzgerald (NW) : 99-78 [.559]
Stockstill (MT) : 91-86 [.514]
Niumatololo (NAVY) : 96-60 [.615]
Dantonio (MSU) : 113-57 [.665]
Calhoun (AF) : 97-69 [.584]
Saban (BAMA) : 151-23 [.868]
Swinney (CLEM) : 126-30 [.808]
Cutcliffe (DUKE) : 72-79 [.477]
Wilder (ODU) : 38-46 [.452]
Holliday (MRSH) : 78-50 [.609]
Kelly (ND) : 70-36 [.660]

Overall : 1,736-994 [.573]

With Wilder now gone, Stockstill has the next to lowest winning percentage of those hired before 2010

Cutcliffe has the lowest winning percentage but he's at Duke. Much as I love this university, MT in no way is close Duke in difficulty of winning.

Reactions: Hop45
North Texas making moves to try to be successful. Ole Stockstill not gonna do a thing though.

With Wilder now gone, Stockstill has the next to lowest winning percentage of those hired before 2010

Cutcliffe has the lowest winning percentage but he's at Duke. Much as I love this university, MT in no way is close Duke in difficulty of winning.

We also got whipped head to head against Duke this season.

Hilarious. Litrell has 1 bad year/minor setback and massive staff changes take place. Also, look at UNT's new facilities. Meanwhile, here at MT......

Man, it must be nice to be a fan of a school like North Texas. A G5 program that takes itself seriously. Has lofty goals, and reaches for those goals instead of making excuses. Super nice, new facilities.....pays their head coach $1.5 million per/year (highest in CUSA), and instead of making excuses they inact actions to continue to try and move the program forward. UNT even went $63 million into debt to support their athletics programs back in 2017....because they invest and believe in them. https://www.ntdaily.com/athletics-debt-story/

MUST_BE_NICE

Meanwhile, here at MT.....All we hear is excuses, talk about what we cannot do, we have no money, etc....and a coaching staff littered with the head coaches best friends as the program is on life support.

Last edited:
UNT has a sharp young AD in Wren Baker who learned his trade early on as the #2 guy at Memphis. He’s a good one.

Unlike the guy we have here.

Okay seriously-how can Massaro have any respect for the job he’s done when he looks at that wining percentage. Couple that with the highlights in Austin’s article, it’s so disappointing to see we have such low expectations. It’s so clear this program is on life support and Massaro sets the culture of mediocrity so it’s all on him.

Life support and basically no light at the end of the tunnel.

Football hasn't looked any different in 14 years. No new facilities, no new hope or plans to break ground for any new facilities, same results, same coaching staff. There's nothing hopeful at all about the program. Same ole marginal recruits with same ole marginal results. The whole thing feels like it is frozen in time.

Basketball isn't any better. We appear to be going backwards in Year 2, almost all of the players McDevitt has signed thus far appear to be role players at best outside of 1 or 2 players but were gonna need a lot more than that to win. WKU, La. Tech, and Marshall are all head and shoulders above us and we don't appear to be catching them any time soon with what's on the roster right now.

Very dark days for MT athletics and I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't expect football to be any better any time soon but I'm hoping basketball has a major roster overhaul next year with the eligible transfers and high school signees.

Last edited:
The bottom line is that if McPhee is happy then everything (people, facilities, funding, etc.) stays in place.

Boot's couldn't fire McCollum because of McPhee. He fired Boots instead.

If you want change then contact him because Massaro ain't gonna fire Stockstill without the approval of McPhee.

Last edited:
Hilarious. Litrell has 1 bad year/minor setback and massive staff changes take place. Also, look at UNT's new facilities. Meanwhile, here at MT......

Man, it must be nice to be a fan of a school like North Texas. A G5 program that takes itself seriously. Has lofty goals, and reaches for those goals instead of making excuses. Super nice, new facilities.....pays their head coach $1.5 million per/year (highest in CUSA), and instead of making excuses they inact actions to continue to try and move the program forward. UNT even went $63 million into debt to support their athletics programs back in 2017....because they invest and believe in them. https://www.ntdaily.com/athletics-debt-story/

MUST_BE_NICE

Meanwhile, here at MT.....All we hear is excuses, talk about what we cannot do, we have no money, etc....and a coaching staff littered with the head coaches best friends as the program is on life support.

North Texas is an exact clone of MT as well, but look how they have move forward and changed compared to us. They are located in Denton, a town about the size of Murfreesboro that is located a similar distance away from a major city. They have to compete with multiple D1 programs and professional teams in their metro just like we do. They have to deal with dominating state universities like we do Texas/Tennessee.

Look at the huge difference though. They have a nice brand new football stadium and many other nice facilities. They dropped the word "State" from their name. They are not afraid to make a change with a coaches when necessary. They have a growing endowment. What is are excuse? Are leadership couldn't even get approval of a FREE law school. Our president, board, and AD are what is holding us back. They are a complacent group with no vision, no fight, and no energy. Until we rid ourselves of this awful leadership nothing will change.

The only way to get rid of the leadership is the board. They’ve rubber stamped it all so far because there is no one challenging them to make things better. Being so far away I’m not sure what the process is to get their attention but that’s got to be where it needs to start.

Reactions: amgtmom
. ....Being so far away I’m not sure what the process is to get their attention but that’s got to be where it needs to start.

Money. We need true cigar boys with cash to push behind the scenes. Literally 1 or 2 influential board members could get push for this change if they wanted.

Money. We need true cigar boys with cash to push behind the scenes. Literally 1 or 2 influential board members could get push for this change if they wanted.

There's a few of those money people around the basketball program that tried to keep Kermit here with $$. Not sure how involved they are in football though. I have no interest in dropping their names on here as that's not important.

They are not fans of Massaro and from what I hear want Blackburn in charge. It's complicated, but at some point results have to speak for themselves with the football program and lack of forward progress.

There's a few of those money people around the basketball program that tried to keep Kermit here with $$. Not sure how involved they are in football though. I have no interest in dropping their names on here as that's not important.

They are not fans of Massaro and from what I hear want Blackburn in charge. It's complicated, but at some point results have to speak for themselves with the football program and lack of forward progress.

Power moves by boosters with influence are good things. We need our version of Bobby Lowder to push Mediocrity out. I don’t understand what they are waiting for if they have the resources.

I wasn’t gonna share this but I disagree, Wiley. By no means am I a CM apologist but Kermit wanted a Stockstill-like long term contract. Wasn’t gonna happen twice. He was also untruthful about meeting with Ole Miss when first confronted about it. It wasn’t real smart to deny it when he changed his practice schedule in order to meet with them.

Yeah, Kermit mishandled that whole situation. No excuse for how that played out.

But the difference is Kermit earned the contract he was offered. If he wanted something more than was being offered then it's probably best he went on his way. CM would have made him the highest paid coach in C-USA. Kermit was actually offered more than I thought they would offer him, but if he wanted more than five years then it's good thing CM backed away from that.

Last edited:
I wasn’t gonna share this but I disagree, Wiley. By no means am I a CM apologist but Kermit wanted a Stockstill-like long term contract. Wasn’t gonna happen twice. He was also untruthful about meeting with Ole Miss when first confronted about it. It wasn’t real smart to deny it when he changed his practice schedule in order to meet with them.

Not sure what you are disagreeing with. We offered Kermit almost $2 million per year (I believe the exact figure was $1.7) and we were able to do so because of said boosters. Kermit might have wanted something different but we did indeed offer almost $2 million per year.

I'm not getting out enough to keep up with all of these interesting happenings.

It's good to know that at least Massaro learned from his big mistake in not handing out some 8-10 year contract. Granted if anyone deserved an exceptional contract, it was Kermit. 7 years of sustained success had earned an outstanding contract. After all that success, a fairly lengthy contract might have been in order if Kermit wanted to retire here. In my view, that would be an extra year or two on top of the usual and customary pay raise and contract extension. An extra year or two is different than doubling the length of the usual contract. You would think Kermit would have understood that after years of the coach stock ordeal. You would think that both Kermit and Massaro could have come to some compromise on that matter. Since it wasn't worked out it makes me think Kermit was just ready to move on.

Whatever the case, it seems more and more likely as time goes by that the end of the season meltdown was mostly rooted in Kermit being distracted by the whole Ole Miss candidate process and contract discussions, at least in my opinion.

If looking for an example of how far MTSU has fallen and the disconnection between the school, community, and state powers at be check out Clarksville.

The city just approved a new multipurpose arena which includes a two ice sheets and partnership with Nashville Predators. APSU has agreed to play basketball in the arena and opens the door for a potential D1 hockey team. Not to mention their strong FCS program after being nonexistent a few years ago.

Meanwhile Murphy Center is quickly aging and zero plans for a replacement from MTSU or Murfreesboro. Maybe time to poach APSU's A.D.?

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
It's time to do something, yet here we are almost a week after our dismal FB season ended and we haven't heard one thing from anyone. Is this because the "powers that be" in Cope and Murphy Ctr. don't care or think everything is hunkey-dorey? Could it be that no one, absolutely no one who cares about our situation has enough clout to cause even a modest response?
It has been apparent for a long time that we don't have access to boosters or sponsors with big dollars. We have no "cigar boys" (term used earlier in this thread) who care enough about athletics to cause any changes.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
If looking for an example of how far MTSU has fallen and the disconnection between the school, community, and state powers at be check out Clarksville.

The city just approved a new multipurpose arena which includes a two ice sheets and partnership with Nashville Predators. APSU has agreed to play basketball in the arena and opens the door for a potential D1 hockey team. Not to mention their strong FCS program after being nonexistent a few years ago.

Meanwhile Murphy Center is quickly aging and zero plans for a replacement from MTSU or Murfreesboro. Maybe time to poach APSU's A.D.?

Been to a game in Dunn Ctr. at Peay recently and it's more that adequate for their BkB program. As for Murphy Ctr. needing replacement, IMHO just a major renovation is required.

Reactions: Blue_H
Don't worry about winning football games or some stinking law school... just got to remind yourselves about that great APR, the beer now available at games, the Meharry fast-track program, and the fact that MT has given more blood than wku for 7-years in a row!

Meanwhile after losing several starters from last year's championship team UAB is preparing to play in another championship game.

Meanwhile after losing several starters from last year's championship team UAB is preparing to play in another championship game.

They had a decent amount of injuries this year too but still got it done.

Bill Clark gits-r-done regardless. He knows how to recruit depth and he demands accountability amongst his coaching staff and his young players are men and flourish in the culture Clark has created. Bill Clark recruits men.

Pretty sure UAB was the youngest team in CUSA this year as well. Only returned 8 combined starters on both sides of the ball, yet still went 9-3 and playing for CUSA championship! That's amazing and that's what a good coaching staff can do. For comparison sake, MT returned 11 starters on both sides of the ball, and barely won 4 games. Pathetic.

FYI, UAB will be even better next year and the following year.

Meanwhile, in Murfreesboro.......

Everything around this program is just so sad, and it's sadly going to only get worse before it gets better and it's going to be bad for a while. Next 5 years will be same ole same ole. 4, 5, 6, maybe 7 win seasons. Coaches buddies on staff. Playing in Toilet Plumbers Bowl and getting blown out by Sun Belt and MAC teams. Oh the life of an MT football fan. So much hope and a bright future to look forward to.....

Reactions: MTTim
Memphis faces the exact same problem we did last year with UAB. Plays a really good game against a good team where there’s literally almost no adjustments that you can make but you have to try to guess what adjustments the other team will make a week later.

Memphis faces the exact same problem we did last year with UAB. Plays a really good game against a good team where there’s literally almost no adjustments that you can make but you have to try to guess what adjustments the other team will make a week later.
Yep. But last night in our pre-game Victory Walk at the stadium with the team Coach Norvell told our group of former players that they are ready. I hope he’s right. I expect a close one this time.

Last edited:
Yep. But last night in our pre-game Victory Walk at the stadium with the team Coach Norvell told our group of former players that they are ready. I hope he’s right. I expect a close one this time.

Your disadvantage is UC was not in a must win last week like UM was to avoid Navy winning the division. Not that UC didn’t try to win, but Fickell may have played vanilla, or been setting something up for this week.

i hate UM, but I respect the success and will definitely tip my hat to them if they beat UC back to back, win the AAC, and end up in the Cotton Bowl.

Amazing the program trajectory difference between UM and MT over the past 6-7 years. Flatline vs ascension.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT