ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL It's been a while

altshauf

All American
Jan 15, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
I'll be completely honest. I "somewhat" have a dog in the fight so I am not here to bash anyone. I just want to let you know I'm still here looking at this board every single day. Not gone anywhere. Some of you understand why, most probably don't.
Unfortunately this season has not gone well, and I am disappointed it hasn't gone the way I or anyone else had hoped. There is plenty of blame to go around the spectrum. We bleed blue here and I get that. Remember, "people" make this thing what it is. Mistakes have been made before CNM was hired in the first place.
I am going to give you my list of "huge" crossroads events over the last 2 years that have resulted in what we have today...
1. Releasing all MT recruits from the 2018 class. You already know, this was the best high school class CKD had recruited while at MT. The "true" effect began this year while Fagan and Buffen are soph's. Currently Fagan is averaging 4ppg and Buffen 10ppg at each of their SEC schools. Here, considering the lack in SOS and personnel, those numbers could be double. Carlos Curry took a redshirt and only averaging a point per game in limited minutes. He would be logging serious minutes for MT in a rotation with Jackson right now.
2. Bringing in a "limited" class. I think the staff really had to stretch and get 2 guys who passed the "eye-test" and thought they could develop them. Let's face it, Jayce and Crump were not ready to compete at the CUSA level last year. We are getting some spark from Jayce, and I think he will be an important part of this team his senior year. Crump... ehhh, not sure yet. I'm like everyone else... You need to give that kid time at 6-8. He was definitely worth the shot.
3. The force out of Antwan Johnson. Look, he was never convicted of anything. If he did something wrong, then that is on him. If not, then... Bottom line is he would have been our top guy last year, and guys like that you can rally behind who are leaders AND winners. Johnson knew how to win. He went to Buffalo and had them in the top 25 all last season. I think the development opportunities for Jayce really took a hit when MT lost Antwan. All in all, with Hawthorne and Johnson last year you would have had a real opportunity to keep a winning culture in the locker room. Would that be making a difference this season? Actually, yes, I believe it would have been huge.
4. Too much leeway given on past success rather than what's happening in the "now". There may be a flicker of positive movement in this category. Green has not been good for MT as an on the floor teammate, BUT in his defense there isn't a bunch around him. Jones is the only guy who takes pressure off. Green's game has been "forcing" up poor shots. Sims just hasn't played consistent. His turnover numbers have been poor for a PG, yet he still has a positive A/T ratio. I think if he were scoring 10ppg consistently without 18 one game and 3 the next that MT fans would have much less scrutiny for him. But the same can be said about just about anyone on the team. Look, MT apparently doesn't trust its bench. By now I think it is pretty safe to start the quick trigger on guys who don't do their job. Pick out one part of the game you can control as a player.... you cannot control shooting percentage, but you can control how well you screen, you can't control if an opponent is just flat out more athletic or bigger than you are, but you can control defensive box outs... you can't control 50/50 balls, but you can control if you are the first on the floor. That is the advice I can give.
5. Injuries/suspensions. Dishman's injury, and Scurry missing a significant portion of the season really put MT behind the eight ball. Say what you want about Scurry, but his leadership and toughness on the floor is important to this team. Yes, he is undersized. Yes, he is not as athletic. Yes, he has his faults, but I cannot convey how important a guy like he is on this team. Think Jacque Rozier... By his senior year he was serviceable in my opinion, but was trusted to stay on the floor at all-times despite the obvious shortcomings.
6. Scheduling. Yes, there have been some D2's and 3's, but other than those our non-conference foes killed any confidence we may have had. I have seen this before. You load up and say "we will play anybody, anywhere" but you lack the leadership on the floor. It sounds nice. But now you are decimated heading into conference play.
The bad news, this season is only a player interview for next season. Outside of winning a game or 2 in the conference tournament there would be nothing to play for. MT has shown it won't play consistently from one game to the next. That's why advancement is almost impossible this year.
The good news, MT got a huge pickup with Fussell. IMHO next year the strength of our team will be inside by season's end. Jackson and Fussell make a huge difference. You also have a SR PG returning. The wings are the question mark, but consider Dishman being out this year.
In complete fairness, I get the frustration from the fan side of things. Just trying to keep it all in perspective. Has the staff made mistakes? sure. Players? absolutely. AD and Pres? Yup. I really hope we see improvement in individuals the rest of the way. By season's end it would be nice to have a truly consistent wing that MT can say... "that's the guy... He will start next year for sure".

Small correction: Antwan Johnson was a transfer red-shirt for Buffalo and sat out during their top 25 '18-'19 season after which their coach bolted to Alabama. This year, in his only season as a red-shirt senior, Johnson is contributing almost 10 points a game while playing the 5th number of minutes per game for the 10-6 Bulls.

True, I thought he got the NCAA release and played last year. Regardless, he would have made a huge difference in our current situation. Think “ripple effect”.

True, I thought he got the NCAA release and played last year. Regardless, he would have made a huge difference in our current situation. Think “ripple effect”.

The ripple effect he would have created is one of the reasons he is no longer at MTSU though.. talented player no doubt, not all conference like Wiley and some others had touted last year about how good he would be at Buffalo.. it hasn't quite played out that way either..

Last edited:
If he were here, then he would have been a 15-16pt per gm guy. Just being completely honest. He is that good. Regardless of what Buffalo goes through.

If he were here, then he would have been a 15-16pt per gm guy. Just being completely honest. He is that good. Regardless of what Buffalo goes through.

Yeah, and he's probably the ONE guy we had on the roster who would have flourished in McDevitt's system. I think he would have probably scored nearly 20 per and been the go to guy when we needed a shot.

I think its funny since it never came up in the news. It's not like its Alabama or LSU or somewhere like that. If we had a newspaper or other media outlet really committed to MTSU, it probably would have come out what happened. I refuse to believe it was as serious as everyone led on simply because he was good, but he wasn't that good! All that being said he was one of my favorite players at MT and I really was looking forward to him being the guy on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT