ADVERTISEMENT

I'Tavius Mathers: 'I am happy' at MT

Good for him. Some people just need to be close to family to be happy. I believe many more kids would stay home and play ball @ MTSU if they realized this while in high school. Unfortunately, they don't and instead get stars in their eyes and go off and play for the team that offered with the biggest stadium and TV deal, leaving their family behind.

Don't get me wrong, some people do well alone and there's nothing wrong with wanting to go play ball for the USC Trojans and going to class on the beach. But I do feel like (well I know there are) so many kids who don't truly think through their decision. For example, every year, there's always a good handful of guys from the south who signed to play for a team in the north (ie. Florida recruit signing with Western Mich.).....Year or two later they come crawling home with their tail between their legs because they're just not adjusting to their new environment. (Having lived in the south and north, let me tell, it's more than just the climate that's different)....These kids usually end up not even playing ball anymore, a few lucky ones end up at FCS schools, and maybe 1 or 2 get a chance to sit out a year and go back to FBS ball.

Point of the story is, kids should stay in the hometown if they're that ingrained/dependent on their family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT