ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa students preparing to listen to Hillary think she's a "control freak"

bigbadjohn45

All American
Jul 9, 2010
Iowa students preparing for Hillary's first 'listening' session think she's a 'control freak' who will be 'talking s**t' and only wants immigration reform because the Democratic party needs voters

Daily Mail Online spoke to ten students at Kirkwood Community College's satellite campus in rural Iowa where Hillary Clinton will be Tuesday
One student is among those picked by teachers to question the former secretary of state
He wants her to comment on his suspicion about immigration reform - that Democrats are pushing the policy because they need new loyal voters
Another predicted that 'she's going to be, like, talking s**t' and would 'push some emotional thing on us'
A third said Clinton 'seems like, kinda like a control freak'
One more said 'I hope people don't vote for her just because she's a woman'
School has cancelled many classes Tuesday to accommodate Clinton, the Secret Service and the press hordes expected to show up
By David Martosko, Us Political Editor In Monticello, Iowa

Published: 14:26 EST, 13 April 2015 | Updated: 14:45 EST, 13 April 2015

When Hillary Clinton steps off her road-trip van on Tuesday at a rural Iowa community college, she might not be greeted by cheering throngs.

Daily Mail Online spoke to students at Kirkwood Community College's regional center in Jones County, where the former secretary of state will hold her first low-key campaign event.

The outlook isn't sunny for the kickoff of her 'listening tour': Of the ten student interviewed in the school's public lounge, only two would speak kindly of Mrs. Clinton.

'She's going to push some emotional thing on us,' predicted student Hallie Corum in between classes. 'What else is she supposed to do?'

'She's going to be, like, talking s**t.'

277F432900000578-3037460-_TALKING_S_T_Hillary_Clinton_launched_her_presidential_campaign_-a-15_1428952920296.jpg

'TALKING S**T': Hillary Clinton launched her presidential campaign on Sunday and hit the road in a van, en route to a skeptical bounch of community college students in Monticello, Iowa

2789153D00000578-3037460-image-a-3_1428951955607.jpg

Corey Jones said he suspects that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama want immigration reform because it would result in a new generation of grateful Democratic voters - and he plans to ask her about it on Tuesday

2789151F00000578-3037460-image-a-4_1428951967832.jpg

Kirkwood Community College's outpost in rural Monticello, Iowa, serves hundreds of students, including some who are still high school juniors and seniors

Corum declined to be photographed, flashing an impish grin.

Corey Jones, a graphic design student, is among those chosen to question Mrs. Clinton in a roundtable setting on Tuesday.

He said his teachers chose him to join a group of 'from 6 to 8' students whowill participate because 'I pay attention to politics,' something his friends around a table agreed with.

'I didn't know Hillary Clinton was running,' one young woman said. 'Is she running? Go ask Corey. He's up on all that stuff.'

Jones said he plans to ask Hillary about illegal immigration.

'It's - well, Immigration reform,' he told Daily Mail Online. 'You know, Obama's plan was to make the illegal immigrants legal.'

'She's part of all that. And some people think - well, I think maybe - it's just a tactic to have more Democratic votes.'

[/URL]

Some mixed reactions to Hillary Clinton's 2016 bid

video-undefined-278172D500000578-535_636x358.jpg
[/URL]

Jones, like Corum, will vote in his first presidential election next year.

He said Clinton is holding her first campaign event at a community college 'because she's trying to appeal to youth, to young voters.'

'She announced it on YouTube. That's targeted at people my age, right?'

Clinton set off on a 1,000-mile road trip Sunday in her home town of Chappaqua, New York, and headed to Iowa - where the nation's first primary caucuses will start the machinery that chooses major parties' presidential candidate.

She announced Sunday afternoon that she was officially in the race.

A female student who declined to be named speculated about Clinton's motives for taking ground transportation instead of a jet aircraft.

'Can you imagine if she stepped off a private jet in Des Moines or Iowa City and walked down a set of steps in realy expensive shoes and a thousand-dollar outfit?' she asked.

'That would be, um, a really bad idea. I like the van better. Is it a minivan? God, I hope it's not a minivan.'

2789152D00000578-3037460-Future_chef_Ross_Vanderputt_said_gay_marriage_is_a_deal_breaker_-a-2_1428954256884.jpg

Future chef Ross Vanderputt said gay marriage is a 'deal-breaker' for him but worries that Hillary Clinton 'seems like, kinda like a control freak'

2789152900000578-3037460-image-a-5_1428951973563.jpg

Monticello, Iowa is a sleepy farm town whose main street is lined with shops whose signs date from the mid-twentieth-century

Most students in Monday's random sample chose not to talk about Mrs. Clinton. All of the will be old enough to vote next year for the first time in their lives.

Three said they didn't have an opinion about the Democratic front-runner.

One looked up, shook her head, and put a pair of earbuds on.

Two more said they would rather remain silent.

'You know, it's that "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" deal,' a young woman offered from behind her tablet computer.

Moments later a group of young men walked down a hallway mimicking Bill Clinton's infamous 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman' press conference - and laughing uproariously.

One who would talk is Bri Parks, a speech and psychology student who wants to be an FBI profiler because she likes 'trying to figure out how the human brain works.'

Clinton can work to earn her vote, Parks said.

'If I heard her opinions and liked her ideas, I would support her.'

But 'I hope people don't vote for her just because she's a woman.'

Asked for the nicest thing she could say about Mrs. Clinton, Parks said 'she's not going at this saying, "Look, I'm a woman, so vote for me." She's not using her sex to prove a point.'

'She's looking at herself as a politician, not as a woman.'

278948CF00000578-3037460-image-a-9_1428952374619.jpg

Students like these gathered in a Kirkwood Community College lounge and spoke with Daily Mail Online before and after classes on Monday

2789498700000578-3037460-image-a-8_1428952312376.jpg

Bri Parks, a Kirkwood Community College student, said she hopes Americans don't vote for Hillary Clinton 'just because she's a woman'

'I don't think we should be putting people in extremely high political positions because of race, sex, or whatever,' Parks explained.

'Then you're doing things just because of what people look like.'

Kirkwood serves between 22,000 and 26,000 students taking college-credit courses at sites in seven Iowa counties, according to a school official.

The Monticello outpost is canceling many classes on Tuesday, making some students scratch their heads since 'this is the smallest part of Kirkwood,' as one pointed out.

'They could have had it somewhere else.'

As it is, Kirkwood's students who do have class will have to dodge Secret Service agents and TV news cameras to get through the lobby.

Some of them are recent high school graduates while others are finishing their 11th- and 12th-grade years collecting college credits one day per week.

Ross Vanderputt, a self-described future chef, is one of the youngest.

He's 16, a high-school junior, but will turn 18 just before the election.

Vanderputt described himself as a libertarian - 'I like government to leave me alone,' he said - and gay marriage is 'a deal-breaker.'

'Equal rights, homosexual rights, it's one thing I will not sway on,' he told Daily Mail Online.

'If you are against gay marriage, you've lost my vote. There's nothing you can do to change it.'

He hedged on Hillary, saying she 'seems like, kinda like a control freak.'

'But she also seems very strong-willed and determined. When she wants something done she probably does it herself.'

This post was edited on 4/13 4:28 PM by bigbadjohn45

ADVERTISEMENT