ADVERTISEMENT

Inside of Murph

Meh. I don't really like the design concepts. They feel outdate before its even done. Looks like nothing more than a partition. Give it to MT. If we can low ball a way and go cheap as possible we'll find a way. And I agree it will actually probably be 2035. Seems too open and doesn't really maximize all that space that will be created from 86ing the bleachers. As a contrast take a look at what Xavier has done...Mini suites with some walk out lounge type areas with seats/couches/etc. are really cool. We are such a joke when it comes to stuff like this.

This will be yet another wasted opportunity to create premium seating and increase revenue.

url

Joseph's%20Club%20Cintas%20Center.jpg

Video at the following link...

https://www.alsd.com/content/xavier-university-upgrades-18-year-old-cintas-center

Last edited:
I agree, the Murphy Center new design will be very dated by the time it’s built—say circa 2033. It will be 61 years old if it’s done by then. Parts of our football stadium will be 84 years old and our latest renovation would be 35 by then. My question is will we still be in C-USA by then or will or lethargic energy relegate is back to somewhere like FCS or low major?

Not getting my hopes up very much. We are too good at status quo and doing things cheaply. Something needs to break ground and be done in the 3-6 year range to be effective for recruiting and fan engagement.

Im fine with the renovations. I just wish they would get rid of the bleachers behind the goals as well. I question why these renderings were released when we all know the current athletic department does not have the ability to raise money for such a renovation. All they can do is raise the athletic fees on the backs of the students.

Cannot do it like Xavier because there are no seats above. I too want to get rid of the bleachers. I think it will be an improvement and it will not make most people on here happy. Of course nothing will.

How is this dated before it is built? You guys got a phone booth or a delorean somewhere?

Cannot do it like Xavier because there are no seats above. I too want to get rid of the bleachers. I think it will be an improvement and it will not make most people on here happy. Of course nothing will.

Wait. Huh? You can’t build a ceiling and enclosed space on and around the box because there’s no seats above it? Why does having seats above or not for prevent you from creating a partition that’s about as appealing as a conference room divider?

don't want to sound incentive, but did Liz Rhea leave enough to MT to get this started?

Wait. Huh? You can’t build a ceiling and enclosed space on and around the box because there’s no seats above it? Why does having seats above or not for prevent you from creating a partition that’s about as appealing as a conference room divider?
Criticize it after you see it.

Criticize it after you see it.

I'm not criticizing the final construction since that's not possible as it hasn't even begun. I'm criticizing the rendering. So, if the final construction ends up looking just like the renderings then my perspective won't change. If you like it that's fine. But my view of it is even if they use the most expensive construction material the design leaves much to be desired IMO.

My recollection from the so called atheltics facilities master plan video and accompany articles was that Murphy Center was the last thing on the priority list among all the other stuff 'promised.'

I suspect I will not be around, too old and infirm to get out to see it, or too senile to know or care, by the time anything like this happens.

Murphy Center is also last because they need the indoor practice facility to be built before taking away the indoor track in Murphy Center. Also in order to expand men’s and women’s basketball areas you have to get football out.

Why in the world are we letting indoor track hold up the progress of a sport that people actually care about and has been somewhat successful recently? Shutdown the indoor track program if need be to get this done.

Indoor track is more successful than basketball. Shutting down a program would be a mistake. It is not just indoor track either. Also waiting on football. Should we shut them down too? Only 5,000 people care about them.

Anyone have a link you don't have to pay to see? I have given my last dime to the daily disappointment.

Let me preface this by stating that I have nothing but respect for Dean Hayes and the track program.

That being said, it should not hold up this basketball program. It is nowhere as visible and this should have been addressed years ago.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
One thing I would like to see changed in Murphy Center is to make our championship and postseason tournament banners much larger and more prominently positioned. As they are sized and located now, most people can attend a game and never even notice them. There should not be any casual observer go to a game and not be able to immediately discover that our men's and women's programs have had measures of success nationally. I remember as a freshman in undergrad in 2001-02, part of what got me to follow the program was hearing about the success that it had experienced in the past. We were not very good that season (last year of Wiel), but I became a fan because it was my school and I learned that success had been achieved before.

One thing I would like to see changed in Murphy Center is to make our championship and postseason tournament banners much larger and more prominently positioned. As they are sized and located now, most people can attend a game and never even notice them. There should not be any casual observer go to a game and not be able to immediately discover that our men's and women's programs have had measures of success nationally. I remember as a freshman in undergrad in 2001-02, part of what got me to follow the program was hearing about the success that it had experienced in the past. We were not very good that season (last year of Wiel), but I became a fan because it was my school and I learned that success had been achieved before.

One thing that sort of bugs me about the recent work done in each corner of the track level is the blank canvas those empty walls present. They put all these wraps/murals in the tunnels and down below, but these track level empty walls are what the bulk of fans see.

but you say you have a third of the money, you can build the indoor and football complex for that price. or redo Murph move the tennis courts and softball field. piss poor management

but you say you have a third of the money, you can build the indoor and football complex for that price. or redo Murph move the tennis courts and softball field. piss poor management

I thought the article said we had about $7M in...that is far from 1/3...am I missing something?

Looks like the “third” figure comes from a combination of the $30 million or so in student fees and the $7 million in private funds.

But keep in mind that $30 million is probably having to be tapped for other things and may not be solely dedicated to facilities upgrades. It would be difficult to know the exact programming for the money without going through a freedom of information request.

Realizing I am more of a track and field fan than many of you IMHO the first thing must be an indoor practice facility with an indoor track. Helps FB, BB, Softball, soccer and T&F. Once completed (and after a FB facility) we can think about what to do with the upper concourse in The Murph to help M & W BkB.

Realistically I don't think this will become reality anytime soon and if it is done it will probably be done "on the cheap". That's a shame but we all know why. We don't have any heavy hitters and any hope of getting business support went bye-bye with the arrival of big-time professional sports to the area. Walker, Donnelly, and Fowler made the move to D-1 in football without realizing the death-knell for any improvement in MT's athletic program's status was just around the corner.

Indoor track is more successful than basketball. Shutting down a program would be a mistake. It is not just indoor track either. Also waiting on football. Should we shut them down too? Only 5,000 people care about them.

So you prefer to keep the status quo? Let's continue to make sure the track team has somewhere to run inside while ZERO fans watch, instead of improving the Murphy Center where thousands of fans PAY to watch basketball. With thinking like that you must work for our athletic department.

So you prefer to keep the status quo? Let's continue to make sure the track team has somewhere to run inside while ZERO fans watch, instead of improving the Murphy Center where thousands of fans PAY to watch basketball. With thinking like that you must work for our athletic department.

Anyone who follows my posts realizes that I am a huge BkB fan and follow and support it much more than any other sport. This is not a BkB vs. Indoor track issue. This is about FB needing a huge shot in the arm to stay relevant. An IPF is obviously the first step and I, for one, will not support an IPF w/o incorporating a track.

Reactions: VARaider84

From a title 9 perspective I don't thing they can just shut down the female side of anything and I think they are involved on the indoor track team.

From a title 9 perspective I don't thing they can just shut down the female side of anything and I think they are involved on the indoor track team.

Good point: IIRC Cross Country, Indoor Track, and Outdoor track count as 3 sports for NCAA, Conference, and Title 9 purposes. Potential to have 6 sports (M & W combined) using the same staff and many of the same athletes. Of course, a school does not have to actually have an indoor track to offer the sport. (a point I will concede to TrueBlue147)

It's too bad that the City of Murfreesboro decided to step back from any interest in hosting the tssaa football championships. Hosting the spring fling gave MT a little leverage in seeking help with the Track and soccer facility and baseball stadium as well. You'd think though that with hosting boys and girls' basketball championships we'd see some progress on that front.

Reactions: MTTim
The flagship university in the middle of the state needs to act like a major university with 26,000 students. Host the tsaa and appeal to the largest population mass in the state. Do the renovation..

The flagship university in the middle of the state needs to act like a major university with 26,000 students. Host the tsaa and appeal to the largest population mass in the state. Do the renovation..
The middle Tennessee flagship university is Vandy. We are no where near flagship status.

Why is it if I do not agree with shutting down a program to do renovations I must think do nothing? Not always one or the other. Really getting sick of being accused if working for the university every time I do not agree with some of you. They are not going to start on renovations to MC until after football is already moved out. Indoor facility is going to come first and should come first. Has the biggest positive impact on the most programs instead of being shortsighted and giving a few fans some sort of premium seating. Especially when those fans will stop buying the seats when the athletic department does not do exactly what they want.

Why is it if I do not agree with shutting down a program to do renovations I must think do nothing? Not always one or the other. Really getting sick of being accused if working for the university every time I do not agree with some of you. They are not going to start on renovations to MC until after football is already moved out. Indoor facility is going to come first and should come first. Has the biggest positive impact on the most programs instead of being shortsighted and giving a few fans some sort of premium seating. Especially when those fans will stop buying the seats when the athletic department does not do exactly what they want.
I agree with this. The IPF is the single most important addition we need at this time.

Why dont they think outside the box. Tear down the Murphy, build a new 8,000 to 10,000 arena with ice. Start a hockey program.

I went to grad school at a hockey school and D1 hockey will be a different landscape in a couple years. MTSU has a natural rival with UAH and a few schools are located in Ohio. Plus, Murfreesboro doesnt have any available ice. I do mention though, dont live in the area so it's not my tax money. o_O

Anyone who follows my posts realizes that I am a huge BkB fan and follow and support it much more than any other sport. This is not a BkB vs. Indoor track issue. This is about FB needing a huge shot in the arm to stay relevant. An IPF is obviously the first step and I, for one, will not support an IPF w/o incorporating a track.
If almost everyone including Stock agrees an IPF is the priority. Why not build one of those steel buildings? I googled IPF and saw they make them with a regulation field and indoor track. At least we have one and we recruit with it. If you don't like the fact it looks like a barn. Have the new cement degree program as a student project. Design models of the IFP with different concrete facades to give it a contemporary look. I bet these kids could come up with some cool designs. When we raise the funds and build the facilities in the video, that building can be turned over to the track team. And the marching band has a place to rehearse when there's bad weather. We need someone to take charge and say, Need an IPF? Let's get it done! That's how tsu got one.

For once I would like to see us do a facility project the right way and not cut every corner imaginable. Would rather wait and do something that looks D1 than have a barn.

ADVERTISEMENT