ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Increase in scholarships?

crposton

All Conference
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2018
Does anyone know if there will be an increase in the allowed scholarships for the upcoming season? With Sims officially announcing he is coming back for one more year on Twitter that leaves us with 13 scholarship players (by my count). I heard (I think) there is a possibility that there will be an increase of allowed scholarships due to seniors being granted an extra year of eligibility. If this is the case do we know if we are done or if the staff is going for any more players?

Sims: First he's staying, then he's leaving, and now he's coming back? Do I have that right? What's to say he won't change his mind again?

If I have it correctly we can have 14 on scholarship next year if Sims is coming back since he will be the only returning Sr. getting the extra year. Had he left we would have been limited to the normal 13 (I think). The unknown is how this will affect the next year for programs with several players getting extra years.

As for who else we may sign: ???

Sims is probably paying for his own school, there hasn't been a waiver given for additional ships

Reactions: C-Bow
So that means either way we should be able to sign one more guy then.

Sims is probably paying for his own school, there hasn't been a waiver given for additional ships
I'm not sure what you mean by "waiver" but everything I can find states that due to covid all (not just seniors) winter sports' athletes were granted an extra year of eligibility before the '20-'21 season started. In addition the NCAA Board of Directors approved that those scholarships for seniors who take advantage of the extra year should not count against team limits for '21-'22. Unless this ruling has been rescinded we should have 14 scholarships to give with Sims returning.
Agreed, individual schools and conferences were given leeway in utilizing the new rule since it has implications on scholarship costs and future recruitment after this year. Has either C-USA or MT made a statement regarding the extra scholarships?

I haven't seen what you just posted, I know some schools didn't sign above the allotted number for there sports, since seniors were coming back. When talking to coaches they were hoping for a waiver to sign above limits in their respective sports. That's why classes were small with signings in football. I know some seniors were given the option to find a new home or if they wanted to come back they have to pay

ADVERTISEMENT