ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL I'm watching Memphis and realizing we are on the wrong path...

MTsumner92

All American
Jul 31, 2005
Hendersonville
at this time. Massaro either needs to change his slow and steady as she goes philosophy or he needs to resign. Memphis is a Pheonix rising from the ashes. We muddle along waiting for miracles.

This stops today. I am sick and tired of this. This Memphis game really shows me that we are on the road to nowhere. The Massaro philosophy isn't working anymore. It is time to clean house on the football side. maybe more.There is a lot of football talent in Tennessee that for some reason we cant get. We have had 25,000 students for 10+ years and for some reason we cant raise any money. PATHETIC!!!!!

SOMETHING HAS GOT TO CHANGE! THIS IS NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE NOR EXCUSABLE. if this hurts some of your feelings then go find you a safe space.

I wish I knew how to fix this quickly. What is our Board of Regents saying?

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Is it Massaro allowing this or McPhee?

Like Boots, Massaro can't do anything if McPhee doesn't allow it.

I'm not saying Massaro has no responsibility in this, I'm saying that the buck stops with McPhee

Reactions: C-Bow
at this time. Massaro either needs to change his slow and steady as she goes philosophy or he needs to resign. Memphis is a Pheonix rising from the ashes. We muddle along waiting for miracles.

This stops today. I am sick and tired of this. This Memphis game really shows me that we are on the road to nowhere. The Massaro philosophy isn't working anymore. It is time to clean house on the football side. maybe more.There is a lot of football talent in Tennessee that for some reason we cant get. We have had 25,000 students for 10+ years and for some reason we cant raise any money. PATHETIC!!!!!

SOMETHING HAS GOT TO CHANGE! THIS IS NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE NOR EXCUSABLE. if this hurts some of your feelings then go find you a safe space.

I wish I knew how to fix this quickly. What is our Board of Regents saying?

It is amazing that 10 years ago UM fired Tommy West and tried to hire Stock, and as recent as 6 years ago we had the better program. Now we have both Stock and West, UM is 10x the program we are, & we have stayed the same or gotten worse over the same time.

Yet we stay with same old Stock and we watch UM in the Cotton Bowl.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
There's just no big hopes or aspirations with this adminiistration. How could there be? It's been 15 years of same ole same ole' and through their actions, they've made it clear they're OK with the status quo.

They have a defeatist attitude to go along with that. "We have no money, poor us." Blah Blah Blah. Why do we even play the games at this point? There is literally no short term or long term goals within the program and administration. All they focus on is that paycheck they get every 2 weeks and keeping things afloat. They couldn't have a care in the world beyond that. Not a care.

15 years with Stockstill and literally nothing has changed. We have some new turf and a big TV in the stadium. WOOOOOOW!

Meanwhile, our G5 competitors are dropping tens of millions on facilities and passing us by with each new year, and all we hear is excuses from our administration despite having equal or better athletic budgets than our counterparts.

They're all to blame. McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill. Probably in that order. It starts at the top. It is the blind leading the blind.

Is it Massaro allowing this or McPhee?

Like Boots, Massaro can't do anything if McPhee doesn't allow it.

I'm not saying Massaro has no responsibility in this, I'm saying that the buck stops with McPhee

Maybe so but I don't think McPhee has told Massaro to not raise money.

There is much to criticize the "powers that be" in Cope and Murphy Ctr. for and we have on this board and in other outlets, past and present. (a sports fan who is not a MT fan just told me of a MT fan on twitter complaining about not signing any mid-state FB players so far in this class - this is not the only place fans have concerns)

But, in the defense of Massaro don't you think he would be on the doorstep of a business or the companies' owner if he thought they would support MT with FedEx or AutoZone type $$$s. Folks, there is a hierarchy of programs and if for no other reason than financial support (there are other factors) Memphis has a higher ceiling than MT. I don't mean to suggest that in today's D-1 climate it should not be our goal to be the G-5 rep in a major bowl, just that with the constraints on us it will be much harder than for Memphis.

As an aside: I would like to know just how much Massaro and McPhee did to try to insure that MT would be one of the 100 or so Nissan schools. Every time I see a Nissan logo in one of their school's venues or see their TV advertisement showing the logos of all the schools they support I am seriously POed. And their largest North American factory is in our county and engines to that plant pass within 3 miles of campus. Sad we missed that boat before it sailed, not that that slice of Nissan's college support would have made a huge difference.

There is much to criticize the "powers that be" in Cope and Murphy Ctr. for and we have on this board and in other outlets, past and present. (a sports fan who is not a MT fan just told me of a MT fan on twitter complaining about not signing any mid-state FB players so far in this class - this is not the only place fans have concerns)

But, in the defense of Massaro don't you think he would be on the doorstep of a business or the companies' owner if he thought they would support MT with FedEx or AutoZone type $$$s. Folks, there is a hierarchy of programs and if for no other reason than financial support (there are other factors) Memphis has a higher ceiling than MT. I don't mean to suggest that in today's D-1 climate it should not be our goal to be the G-5 rep in a major bowl, just that with the constraints on us it will be much harder than for Memphis.

As an aside: I would like to know just how much Massaro and McPhee did to try to insure that MT would be one of the 100 or so Nissan schools. Every time I see a Nissan logo in one of their school's venues or see their TV advertisement showing the logos of all the schools they support I am seriously POed. And their largest North American factory is in our county and engines to that plant pass within 3 miles of campus. Sad we missed that boat before it sailed, not that that slice of Nissan's college support would have made a huge difference.

ok. Why are our top 20% of alumni not donating serious dollars? why do they hold back? what is it that they dont like? The truth is out there somewhere.

To me, I see our issue as philosophy and culture. I’ve said “culture” until it’s a worn out record album, but it’s more than athletics: it’s about mission, vision, and purpose. Our brand has been relegated to a regional university as opposed to a nationally branded university. Sure, Doctor Sidney A. McPhee promotes us to sister universities in China, Japan, South Africa, or wherever his travels takes him with his contacts, but these are specialty programs and not for the betterment of the holistic university. That is what we’ve become, a generalist university with a few spotlight programs such as RIMS, Fermentation Science, Concrete Management, and the like. In the meantime, MT has dismissed ideals of advanced doctoral programs and raising the bar on Masters programs to where we have standing equal to or better than flagship institutions across the country. It’s easier to operate as a college for teacher education as opposed to having one dedicated to science, fine arts, law, or humanities at an internationally recognized level. It’s clear Excellence is lacking.

For years we dealt with inadequate funding from the state level and under directives the Grier Lawsuit called for over 35 years. Those miscues and roadblocks have sown the seeds of today. Our alumni primarily hails from the Middle Tennessee area, namely Rutherford and Davidson Counties. I believe 2-3 Tennessee counties have living alumni in the single digits; that’s bad salesmanship. We operate much closer to an APSU footprint versus being a Michigan State or Oklahoma State (I have relatives who are graduates of each) and believe me perception turns into reality when it comes to jobs, industry connections, and loyalties. MT over the decades has been inconsistent in attracting high net worth individuals to give to MTSU Foundation...our endowment growth is horrendous considering it’s been around since 1961. The world our university should operate in is in the multiple billions, not a paltry $115 million or so (last number I’ve heard, maybe there’s a little more?). Our alumni base is relatively poor and/or disengaged when looking at the entire body. Marshall University, our conference mate, is dealing with essentially the same funding issue versus West Virginia University in a state with a 1.5 million population that is declining each year (for instance, Huntington WV has about 51,000 down from 89,000 in the 1970s). Murfreesboro has grown to over 142,000 versus 26,370 in the same time—49 years. But, the operative question is why can’t we attract more sponsors and donors to do the big things?

I’ll submit that it’s until the MT Board, Governor, or University President, mandate a change in philosophy or culture, it will not materially change. There are too many who are content with being an undergraduate focused university with a relatively low budget athletic program. It’s sad that when we do earn success by accident, it’s short lived (e.g Kermit Davis) because coaches move to greener pastures as opposed to building loyalty in Murfreesboro and MT. We have so many resources to build from, but too much effort and money has been wasted for it to have had the impact it should have for the region. That’s why many fans over the years have chosen to cut support or move on to other worthwhile projects. We don’t have the cheerleaders that can generate the millions we need, it takes too many $500 and $1,000 donors to get the base to where it’s needed.

To me, I see our issue as philosophy and culture. I’ve said “culture” until it’s a worn out record album, but it’s more than athletics: it’s about mission, vision, and purpose. Our brand has been relegated to a regional university as opposed to a nationally branded university. Sure, Doctor Sidney A. McPhee promotes us to sister universities in China, Japan, South Africa, or wherever his travels takes him with his contacts, but these are specialty programs and not for the betterment of the holistic university. That is what we’ve become, a generalist university with a few spotlight programs such as RIMS, Fermentation Science, Concrete Management, and the like. In the meantime, MT has dismissed ideals of advanced doctoral programs and raising the bar on Masters programs to where we have standing equal to or better than flagship institutions across the country. It’s easier to operate as a college for teacher education as opposed to having one dedicated to science, fine arts, law, or humanities at an internationally recognized level. It’s clear Excellence is lacking.

For years we dealt with inadequate funding from the state level and under directives the Grier Lawsuit called for over 35 years. Those miscues and roadblocks have sown the seeds of today. Our alumni primarily hails from the Middle Tennessee area, namely Rutherford and Davidson Counties. I believe 2-3 Tennessee counties have living alumni in the single digits; that’s bad salesmanship. We operate much closer to an APSU footprint versus being a Michigan State or Oklahoma State (I have relatives who are graduates of each) and believe me perception turns into reality when it comes to jobs, industry connections, and loyalties. MT over the decades has been inconsistent in attracting high net worth individuals to give to MTSU Foundation...our endowment growth is horrendous considering it’s been around since 1961. The world our university should operate in is in the multiple billions, not a paltry $115 million or so (last number I’ve heard, maybe there’s a little more?). Our alumni base is relatively poor and/or disengaged when looking at the entire body. Marshall University, our conference mate, is dealing with essentially the same funding issue versus West Virginia University in a state with a 1.5 million population that is declining each year (for instance, Huntington WV has about 51,000 down from 89,000 in the 1970s). Murfreesboro has grown to over 142,000 versus 26,370 in the same time—49 years. But, the operative question is why can’t we attract more sponsors and donors to do the big things?

I’ll submit that it’s until the MT Board, Governor, or University President, mandate a change in philosophy or culture, it will not materially change. There are too many who are content with being an undergraduate focused university with a relatively low budget athletic program. It’s sad that when we do earn success by accident, it’s short lived (e.g Kermit Davis) because coaches move to greener pastures as opposed to building loyalty in Murfreesboro and MT. We have so many resources to build from, but too much effort and money has been wasted for it to have had the impact it should have for the region. That’s why many fans over the years have chosen to cut support or move on to other worthwhile projects. We don’t have the cheerleaders that can generate the millions we need, it takes too many $500 and $1,000 donors to get the base to where it’s needed.

Great post! Coaches move through Memphis but they reload. They know how to get talent. That is their model.

IMHO this big change we all crave needs to come from the MT Board. I just don't see it happening any other way. Getting more MT alumni to represent us at the State level would help. Are state reps for Rutherford County MT alumni?

Are state reps for Rutherford County MT alumni?

Senators Dawn White and Shane Reeves are.

State Representative Tim Rudd attended the university...

State Representative Charlie Baum, is a Wake Forest alum, PHD from UNC, Taught economics and department head previously at MT.

State Representative Bryan Terry, is a Physician who attended college and med school in Oklahoma and his residency at utk. No connection to MT to my limited knowledge

Sate Representative Mike Sparks, from Smyrna, is a MT alum

Last edited:
Pete DeLay
Mary Martin
Christine Karbowiak
Samatha Eisenberg

We should be able to do better than this. They are not alumni of MT. Is there a compelling reason as to why they are on the board?

Thomas Boyd
Darrell Freeman
Pamela Wright

I would imagine these three get a substantial amount of business from MT so they in no way will put pressure on MT for change.

i see a board that is faculty friendly. who picks the board?

Senators Dawn White and Shane Reeves are.

State Representative Tim Rudd attended the university...

State Representative Charlie Baum, is a Wake Forest alum, PHD from UNC, Taught economics and department head previously at MT.

State Representative Bryan Terry, is a Physician who attended college and med school in Oklahoma and his residency at utk. No connection to MT to my limited knowledge

Sate Representative Mike Sparks, from Smyrna, is a MT alum

ok...What kind of commitment do we need from the state? what are the Rutherford County reps doing toget MT dollars?

Pete DeLay
Mary Martin
Christine Karbowiak
Samatha Eisenberg

We should be able to do better than this. They are not alumni of MT. Is there a compelling reason as to why they are on the board?

Thomas Boyd
Darrell Freeman
Pamela Wright

I would imagine these three get a substantial amount of business from MT so they in no way will put pressure on MT for change.

i see a board that is faculty friendly. who picks the board?

The governor

Would love to find out who recommended those 3 and why?

It's all political at that level man. Political and $$$$$$$

Very little is done with the greater good in mind anymore

Last edited:
Baker could be an asset. Does anybody personally know any of these board members? Does anybody personally know any state reps that are MT alumni?

It is amazing that 10 years ago UM fired Tommy West and tried to hire Stock, and as recent as 6 years ago we had the better program. Now we have both Stock and West, UM is 10x the program we are, & we have stayed the same or gotten worse over the same time.

Yet we stay with same old Stock and we watch UM in the Cotton Bowl.
I’m in Dallas. Memphis had nearly 30,000 fans here for the game and weekend. We took up half the stadium from top to bottom. I played in front of some big crowds at home vs. SEC schools but I have never seen a fan base travel in these kinds of numbers.
I think where the program was in Tommy West’s last three years and Porter’s only two. The turnaround has been amazing. The steel for the indoor practice facility is up and they are installing the roof and skin.
I am out of answers for Murfreesboro.

ok. Why are our top 20% of alumni not donating serious dollars? why do they hold back? what is it that they dont like? The truth is out there somewhere.

I seriously doubt if the top 20% of our alumni in total have the funds of Fred Smith (FedEx - Memphis) or Jimmy Haslem (Pilot Oil - UT-K). Do you know of any MT alums who are billionaires?

We need an ORGANIZED effort from the discouraged fans but nobody has stepped up yet to take that on. it’s easier to complain and let the program stay on life support.

I think it has to start with a standard letter with our concerns to several people, including Massaro and McPhee. It should include a petition full of signatures threatening to pull donations, stop attendance to events, no longer promote the program in a positive light until changes are made, etc. Request a formal response from each person receiving it. The letter can “cc” Nashville and other local media to see if anyone picks up the story. They need a push to know we can’t take this acceptance of mediocrity anymore.

anyone want to take this on and be the point person?

Reactions: C-Bow
15 years with Stockstill and literally nothing has changed. We have some new turf and a big TV in the stadium. WOOOOOOW!

Literally a big TV from 2000 and it's not even S-video quality. Watching a replay on that thing is like watching a play from Tecmo Bowl on the NES. All it's missing is that post snap music.

We need an ORGANIZED effort from the discouraged fans but nobody has stepped up yet to take that on. it’s easier to complain and let the program stay on life support.

I think it has to start with a standard letter with our concerns to several people, including Massaro and McPhee. It should include a petition full of signatures threatening to pull donations, stop attendance to events, no longer promote the program in a positive light until changes are made, etc. Request a formal response from each person receiving it. The letter can “cc” Nashville and other local media to see if anyone picks up the story. They need a push to know we can’t take this acceptance of mediocrity anymore.

anyone want to take this on and be the point person?[/QUO

I am more than willing. I just want to choose the right path and have
the right tact. Sending a letter to McPhee and Massaro imho won't do any good. They seem to be ok with where we are. At this point I think it would be prudent to send a letter to the 3 Governor appointed board members. I believe they need to know about our frustration and that we would appreciate a well thought out plan of action with milestones and accountability. Communication to alumni would also be a prudent thing to ask for. Any other suggestions are welome.

the right tact. Sending a letter to McPhee and Massaro imho won't do any good. They seem to be ok with where we are. At this point I think it would be prudent to send a letter to the 3 Governor appointed board members. I believe they need to know about our frustration and that we would appreciate a well thought out plan of action with milestones and accountability. Communication to alumni would also be a prudent thing to ask for. Any other suggestions are welome.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Memphis lost today. No defense. They also lost the best coach they ever had. We'll see what happens but they tasted glory. They'll pay for it now like FAU hiring Willey Taggart. What a stupid hire by FAU. LOL. I hated Lane but he was better than Taggart.

Memphis lost today. No defense. They also lost the best coach they ever had. We'll see what happens but they tasted glory. They'll pay for it now like FAU hiring Willey Taggart. What a stupid hire by FAU. LOL. I hated Lane but he was better than Taggart.

Everything that has transpired in Memphis is so much bigger than today's game and the results of said game. You need to look at the big picture and going forward, not 1 game.

Wiley is right. This Memphis Football team mentally overcame the loss of a Head Coach, an OC, a DC, the starting right tackle, and the starting TE but, they left the building having scored more points on this Penn St. defense than any other opponent this season.
No one left the game early and 35,000 Memphis fans in attendance gave the team a standing ovation.

.https://dailymemphian.com/article/9720/calkins-cotton-bowl

We are currently driving up from ATL for today’s b-ball double-header. I have a couple thoughts. If you will be at today’s game, happy to share those with you. Otherwise, feel free to text me at 678-245-9933 if interested.

Everything that has transpired in Memphis is so much bigger than today's game and the results of said game. You need to look at the big picture and going forward, not 1 game.

They still lost and are 0-5 in bowl games during their greatest era. We at least won one in 2017. LOL. They tasted some glory this year but fizzled out on a national stage and lost their coach. It's all relative. FAU and Appy St. went out with a bang at least.

Anybody reading all this that wouldn’t swap places with FAU, Appy St or Memphis is delusional. They all are right now in a much better place than we are and it ain’t close.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Just read an article about NFL Black Monday and Arthur Blank, owner of the Falcons had a quote that I thought was fitting.

"Continuity for the sake of continuity is not necessarily a good thing. It depends on what you want to continue."

The Athletic Department should be run like a business that has the task of being the most important face and recruiter for a university. I can't believe that SM and CM are happy to continue what we have for the sake of continuity as CM has said before.

It would appear that they don't even care what the fans think. A formula for a program to end up in shambles.
I know this sounds petty compared to larger issues but your comment hit home. Near the end of the football season, I noticed a large hole (about 5") in diameter, that had opened under a seat in the chairback section. The concrete there has some age to it and seeing such didn't necessarily scare me (I sit near it) but I could see where someone might raise questions about the stability of the stands.

Anyway, I sent Massaro a note telling him exactly where it was at and said they might want to patch it before the last home game. You could literally see the ground below thru it. I sent it via Facebook Messanger. I know he got it, but he never replied and the hole was still there the last home game.

It's not like a lot of folks are gonna get hurt if the stands collapse because no one is there. But I would think that this is a sign that we have some structural issues that need to be taken seriously and at least a patch work fix done. Yet I didn't even get a "thanks for your concern" acknowledgment.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Anybody reading all this that wouldn’t swap places with FAU, Appy St or Memphis is delusional. They all are right now in a much better place than we are and it ain’t close.

Didn't say I wouldn't swap. I'm saying it's also more cyclical in G5. Boise and Appy are exceptions to the rule. Memphis has had a good 5 years but they still went 1-5 in their last 6 bowl games just like us. They are above us but not as far as we would like to think. This past year was their best year. They improved and we got worse. That's the difference and that's what we are all saying which is the heart of the matter. We'll see if FAU Appy and UM will keep it going. I think Appy will. Bottom line is that there is absolutely nothing we can do about our program except leaving it which has already happened for the most part.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
I know this sounds petty compared to larger issues but your comment hit home. Near the end of the football season, I noticed a large hole (about 5") in diameter, that had opened under a seat in the chairback section. The concrete there has some age to it and seeing such didn't necessarily scare me (I sit near it) but I could see where someone might raise questions about the stability of the stands.

Anyway, I sent Massaro a note telling him exactly where it was at and said they might want to patch it before the last home game. You could literally see the ground below thru it. I sent it via Facebook Messanger. I know he got it, but he never replied and the hole was still there the last home game.

It's not like a lot of folks are gonna get hurt if the stands collapse because no one is there. But I would think that this is a sign that we have some structural issues that need to be taken seriously and at least a patch work fix done. Yet I didn't even get a "thanks for your concern" acknowledgment.

They don't care about us at all. That has been told to us in so many ways over the years. Massaro is on retirement building mode now. He gives 0 craps.

Didn't say I wouldn't swap. I'm saying it's also more cyclical in G5. Boise and Appy are exceptions to the rule. Memphis has had a good 5 years but they still went 1-5 in their last 6 bowl games just like us. They are above us but not as far as we would like to think. This past year was their best year. They improved and we got worse. That's the difference and that's what we are all saying which is the heart of the matter. We'll see if FAU Appy and UM will keep it going. I think Appy will. Bottom line is that there is absolutely nothing we can do about our program except leaving it which has already happened for the most part.
12-2 and Outright AAC Conference Champions after beating a ranked Cincinnati twice.

I’ll wait.

But you lost your bowl game and probably your ranking so who gives a sh!t? It's G5. No one cares beyond G5 fans. I've said you had a great year but it's one year and you lost the dude who got you there so it's cyclical. It's an Icarus situation. Only Boise and Appy have been able to keep flying near the sun. Every other G5 team gets high up for a little while and then loses altitude. It's the way of the gun now. Even at UCF's highest point, they were never considered to be a playoff team and they were perfect for 2 years straight. They were perfect the year Bama backed into the playoffs with 2 losses and won the championship. If that didn't tell you where the G5 stood, nothing ever will.

The P5/ESPN stranglehold has guaranteed that G5 will always be relevant to a certain point and that point seems to deminish every year.

The most relevant bowl win for a G5 team this year has been La Tech's 14-0 win over Miami. First of all, they beat a P5 team. No matter how bad Miami is, no one had them losing to La Tech except me. :) Miami would never be perceived to be on the same level as La Tech. Secondly, they might be the first G5 team to shutout a P5 in a bowl game ever. I can't think of any G5 team goose egging a P5'er. Also LaTech is 6-0 in their last 6 bowl games. That's a team I look up to way more than Memphis. Even then, all that came from that was Miami's OC getting booted.

BTW, MT wasn't even on the same planet as Memphis this year. Never said they were. Last year, we both played in championship games. We both choked and we both lost our bowl games. That's my point. We're different but not all that different. Same bowl record. 10 years ago, we beat the dog crap out of them in our house in front of nearly 30,000 people. We won 10 games that year and our bowl game. We beat a P5 team back to back and we had our icarus moment. It is what it is. Plus a 5-2 record vs. Memphis since we went FBS proves the point as well,

I could go on but I got sh!t to do. Take care. Enjoy your awesome season that everyone else has already forgotten about. :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT