ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL If we got a new dynamic exciting president, AD, and football coach...

TrueBlue147

All Conference
Mar 19, 2008
and started winning football games again, including a CUSA championship followed up by a dominating bowl performance by the second year. How many fans would return? Would we be able to average 25,000 a game? Have we lost some fans forever? Is there potentially a huge amount of support in Middle Tennessee that is just waiting for the right leadership and successful football coach? Or has MT's chance of ever having huge support in football past us by?

and started winning football games again, including a CUSA championship followed up by a dominating bowl performance by the second year. How many fans would return? Would we be able to average 25,000 a game? Have we lost some fans forever? Is there potentially a huge amount of support in Middle Tennessee that is just waiting for the right leadership and successful football coach? Or has MT's chance of ever having huge support in football past us by?

Well you can count on mcphee being here to the end of his contract (2023 or 2024???) That alone crushes my hope. Massaro has been here for 15 (?) so he's not going anywhere and if he did I don't trust mcphee to make a good hire. Stockstill is here as long as he wants. and if he did leave, I do not trust that he would or could make the right hire.

But to answer your question, I think it still could happen, but the culture along with the trifecta of mediocrity would have to entirely change out. Multiple, consecutive years of dominating championship play, bringing facilities up to the level of our peers. Energetic dynamic personable hires.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
and started winning football games again, including a CUSA championship followed up by a dominating bowl performance by the second year. How many fans would return? Would we be able to average 25,000 a game?
More victories = more butts in seats.

Most people won't watch average or poor teams. Excellence draws a crowd.

That said, if MT football started winning 10+ games every year, after a few seasons, I think you would have 25K each game.

All goes back to Massaro and very poor leadership.
Said with tongue planted firmly in cheek, “But............, did you not read the communication our athletic leader sent to Blue Raider fans, near & far? He went into great detail on his mission & vision for our athletic program during these challenging times. How MT was going to be the platinum standard on making the necessary adjustments to not only just survive, but to emerge on the other side stronger, more united, and relevant like we have never been before.”
Shoot, I’m just north of 67 and it still gave me “all the feels”. Said no one ever!

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue

I got the same email yesterday at 2:34pm.

”Dear Blue Raiders,

I hope this finds you all safe and healthy as we are all working hard adjusting to the “new normal.”

Five weeks ago, we called many of our teams to instruct them to come home and that their competitions have been canceled. During this period of uncertainty, our coaches and student athletes have exhibited tremendous strength and resiliency. They have adjusted well to the elimination of their formal sports activities and attending class on campus with their friends to training at home and attending classes online. The coaches have been great leaders in helping our student athletes to modify their routines in such trying times.

These actions of our student-athletes and coaches have made me proud. Through this adversity, we are able to see the True Blue character of the Blue Raiders when put to a test. We are able to witness the resilience when our young people are faced with these challenges. I continue to be humbled to be the person that gets to lead these incredible young people and advocate on their behalf.

We need to also remember that for many of them, their struggles are mounting. Some are feeling the financial impact of the down economy on their families. We, as a True Blue family, must stand tall for those impacted and to let them know they will have love and support when they return to their beloved campus community.

President McPhee and his campus leadership team has acted swiftly and decisively to prioritize the health and safety of the campus community. These difficult and unprecedented decisions have left us well positioned to deal with the challenges of the virus. Despite the immediate unknown, I remain steadfast in my enthusiasm to see us gather again as True Blue Raiders to enjoy the sights and the sounds in our athletic venues. I can’t wait to smell the tailgate smoke and to hear the roar of the crowd when our football team takes the field for the first time at Floyd Stadium. I can’t wait to see the stadium lights flashing after a touchdown and the Band of Blue belting out our fight song enthusiastically in celebration.

Most of all, I can’t wait to see you and all the Blue Raiders dressed in blue. We will gather again and celebrate those moments together. Together as a Blue Raider family.

Go Blue Raiders!

Chris Massaro,
Director of Athletics”

I feel like 7 wood has the attitude of, "keep your friends close and enemies closer" while we watch the football program disintegrate before our eyes

In the latest edition of Raider Review CM discusses the upgrades to campus that were announced in 2018. Stock was even quoted "it's time to move some dirt".
CM said announcement will be soon.
Anyone laying odds on this happening?

Even 1/3 could get it going if lightning struck. Say somehow Massaro by some fluke hired a James Franklin/PJ Fleck type that got out there and promoted the program, hyped up the student and local alumni base, won CUSA and some bowl games we could get that place full and rocking again. The problem with that is he would be scooped up pretty damn quick and you cannot count on another fluky good hire to continue it. But yes in all probability it would need to be all three gone with good replacements.

I read a few months ago a great article about coaching tenures in the
G5. Nowadays you have a great coach for 3 to 5 years max then you have to be able to find that next great coach. We are going on 15 years and have at least another 5 to go with the same coach. Not a good future.

I read a few months ago a great article about coaching tenures in the
G5. Nowadays you have a great coach for 3 to 5 years max then you have to be able to find that next great coach. We are going on 15 years and have at least another 5 to go with the same coach. Not a good future.
Just look at what’s happened 225 miles to the west since Tommy West talked Stock into turning them down in 2009. They had a couple of bad years because no one but former Tiger Larry Porter would take the job and he had to run off all the deadwood left by TW. Then they cleaned house at the top, ran off a terrible AD and weak President, before they hired Fuente. Things have been successful ever since.

The current MT hierarchy has been here for as long as I’ve been an alum. Class of ‘05. The only admin changes have been with the BRAA.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT