ADVERTISEMENT

If For No Other Reason

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
I mentioned this in other threads but worth noting again - particularly since MT administrators read the board.

In a year where we had the opportunity of a lifetime we have the worst college football team in America. This cannot be sugar coated and it can’t be undone. What a significant disappointment and horrible stain on our university and our program to have allowed us to get to such a paltry state when we had an opportunity to not only build goodwill and momentum - but to truly build the program. So envious of Marshall right now. What an amazing opportunity for all of us and some are taking advantage of it. And some are Middle Tennesseeing it.

There is absolutely no debate whatsoever that the trend this program is on is a complete nose dive or death spiral or whatever you want to call it. This started during Brent’s career. By his sophomore year, you could see that recruiting over the previous few years had begun sliding. If you want proof look at this programs record in the games Brent didn’t start and finish going back to 2016 until today.

If we don’t make change now then we are on the verge of becoming a NMSU or a ULM or worse an Idaho. If folks don’t think that’s the path that we are realistically heading towards then you aren’t paying attention. We don’t have a small college town where the school is the university’s only source of entertainment and pride such as in places like Troy or Boise. We have to win to keep the community interested. We have to win to keep the media interested. It’s the downside to what is otherwise a huge benefit to us - our location. Finances have already dried up. We’ve lost nearly every casual fan in the area. We’ve started losing most of the diehards. This is not sustainable and there gets to be a point that if you don’t stop the bleeding there is no correcting it. Becomes self fulfilling to point there is no reversing it particularly when we already have such strikes against us including our name, academic prestige (or lack thereof), and being in a weak G5 conference.

I thank Rick Stockstill for all he’s done for us, but it’s time for him to step down. Or be removed. For the good of the program.

I appreciate your passion. Taking the time to write all that out and speak your mind shows you still care.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same. I can't honestly even be bothered to comment because I'm just done with this school. I turned it off after Troy hit the FG and went up 17-7 because I could tell which way the game was going. They were better in every facet. They had men on the field and real coaches in the box, something we havn't had in years.

I appreciate your passion. Taking the time to write all that out and speak your mind shows you still care.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same. I can't honestly even be bothered to comment because I'm just done with this school. I turned it off after Troy hit the FG and went up 17-7 because I could tell which way the game was going. They were better in every facet. They had men on the field and real coaches in the box, something we havn't had in years.
I surrendered right after you did. The safety given up by Cunningham was a headscratcher but not surprising. This staff finds every opportunity to screw up.

I will make it to the homecoming game because it is wku and it apparently has more meaning to me as a fan than it does to Stockstill, Massaro and McPhee because losing 4 out of the last five games to our conference rival should have meant the head coach resigned in shame or was fired. I have no expectation of a win but I want to see if there is any passion left.

I have had season tickets since 1979, Boot's first year. Some years I've two seats, sometimes I bought four or even six when I was shelling out money to be able to buy club seats. I've been back down for two seats for years now. I will say this, and I hate to have to say it. If Stock is not gone after this season, If he is still here for 2021, I will not be buying season tickets in 2021.

It’s like the message board is the only sounding board. I know it’s mostly negative but Helps to vent. I wrote a letter resigning from BRAA board and saying I’m not donating prior to last season as long as stock is around. They Call and ask about tickets or donations and I tell them the same as does my wife. All I can do.

It’s like the message board is the only sounding board. I know it’s mostly negative but Helps to vent. I wrote a letter resigning from BRAA board and saying I’m not donating prior to last season as long as stock is around. They Call and ask about tickets or donations and I tell them the same as does my wife. All I can do.

Thank you. The only way we as fans can impact change is to pull funds. Stop buying tickets, stop donating, hell stop taking classes at MTSU. Find another university.

Not another dime.

Thank you. The only way we as fans can impact change is to pull funds. Stop buying tickets, stop donating, hell stop taking classes at MTSU. Find another university.

Not another dime.

Unfortunately I did the same. My wife went to LSU so it worked out.

I surrendered right after you did. The safety given up by Cunningham was a headscratcher but not surprising. This staff finds every opportunity to screw up.
If the Wars had caught either of the dropped passes, then we are not in any position to take a safety. I still think Cunningham gives us the best chance to win. O'hara runs too much, IMO.

Unfortunately I did the same. My wife went to LSU so it worked out.

That’s me as well. I spent longer time at my graduate university than MT, and my wife graduated from a different school. I live out of state and have 2 young children with their education to plan for. I love MT, but I see absolutely no value in giving to the athletic program with Massaro in charge.

I have the same feelings above poster. Enjoyed my 4 years at MTSU but feel way more pride and loyalty to my graduate school (U. Of North Dakota) that I have given to both academic and athletic projects, but zero dollars to MTSU. I can't see that changing at this point. Hell, given more money to my wife's D2 undergrad school than to MTSU.

Let’s see. We are on National TV for 2 weeks in a row and get blown out, The Sunbelt goes 3-0 against the Big 12 last week. Tulane keeps it close against OSU this week, Marshall beats a ranked App State team , UCF puts on a clinic against GA Tech, & the Rajan Cajuns win and are ranked. We are all in every year with this school & program. It’s getting more difficult every week, lots of texts from friends, alums, & colleagues across the country asking wtf. We live out of town and come to a few events and games for football and basketball.. This is getting painful.

Last edited:
We have been on a significant slide in recruiting going back to year or two before Brent transferred. The senior class that was Brent's first year was the last decent group we had. You look at the OL at how well they protected Brent that freshman year -- he would never see that again in his career. And then the DL was a real DL. The two-deep DT's that year averaged 308 lbs. The DE's averaged 252 lbs. We're now basically playing safeties and LBs on the DL. That defense had over 70 TFLs and 24 sacks. Oh and we had a OL that protected Brent (as mentioned) and rushed for nearly 2000 yards that year in spite of Brent's 4000 yards passing.

So, going back to what I said earlier that Brent - for most of his career - pretty much carried the program. Over the past five seasons (well four plus 2 games), the record for MT football in games either not started or finished by Brent is 8-17. That includes 4-7 mark for games Brent missed.

I see players trying to blame this on facilities, which is absurd. Maybe the recruiting has more to do with the fact that most of our coaches don't even want to get on the road and recruit in the first place, because they don't have the energy and fire to prove themselves. Maybe recruiting problems have more to do with coaches that know they have a golden parachute and are just coasting and riding the wave as far as it will take them. Space has already debunked this facilities myth. It doesn't require any further elaboration.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
What drives me insane is the endless excuses. I am sick and tired of hearing the word compete. You are not a leader if competing is an acceptable outcome. The definition of compete is to take part in a contest. Merely taking the field is competing. Sadly, that seems to be the bar. There is no accountability for any degree of failure, let alone the culture of failure that has metastasized throughout the university's athletics.

Against my better judgement, I actually attempted to watch the game. I could only tolerate into the second quarter. It was a stunningly abysmal performance at home against a longtime rival on national television. It really doesn't matter what we say here or what we write in emails. We were just passed by mediocrity and absolute irrelevance is closing fast.

ADVERTISEMENT