ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL ICYMI, Coach's Radio Show

Takeaways from McDevitt's comments which stood out to me:

As for recruiting:
We don't have enough money in our recruiting budget to recruit internationally (obvious).
Atlanta was mentioned as an easy 3 hour drive to find players (again reasonable, 3 of the four high schoolers in the this and next years class hail from Ga.)
Ideally recruit JUCOs and transfers only to fill specific needs (agreed)

The five in sweatsuits are Dishman, Jordan, Davis, and two walk-ons: Mitchell and Coffee. Not answered was why the two walk-ons are redshirting (as mentioned on this site earlier Mitchell with his size apparently could have been a help this year). Also not mentioned was why we bear the expense of taking these players on the road. (As an aside: I thought it was against policy to carry redshirts on the road - perhaps a specific conference rule not in C-USA or the rule applies to FB???)

McDevitt believes the shooting woes are temporary, we are getting the shots designed in this offense, and that once the shots start falling defense will improve since we are able to set up changing defenses after made baskets. In his opinion we have to revert to man-to-man after missed shots.

As for recruiting:
We don't have enough money in our recruiting budget to recruit internationally (obvious).
I think it's all about having connections.

When he said that I thought about the track program immediately and the many African runners Hayes has signed.

Dale Short signed many players from Europe.

Reactions: SpaceRaider

As for recruiting:
Atlanta was mentioned as an easy 3 hour drive to find players (again reasonable, 3 of the four high schoolers in the this and next years class hail from Ga.)
Ideally recruit JUCOs and transfers only to fill specific needs (agreed)

The five in sweatsuits are Dishman, Jordan, Davis, and two walk-ons: Mitchell and Coffee. Not answered was why the two walk-ons are redshirting (as mentioned on this site earlier Mitchell with his size apparently could have been a help this year). Also not mentioned was why we bear the expense of taking these players on the road. (As an aside: I thought it was against policy to carry redshirts on the road - perhaps a specific conference rule not in C-USA or the rule applies to FB???)

McDevitt believes the shooting woes are temporary, we are getting the shots designed in this offense, and that once the shots start falling defense will improve since we are able to set up changing defenses after made baskets. In his opinion we have to revert to man-to-man after missed shots.
It is interesting that he is redshirting two walk-ons even if those walk-ons played at another D1 school on scholarship. I don't think this is the case, but maybe he is setting it up to where year 3 is the breakout year. Barring anyone transferring out and bringing in transfers we should not have anyone that has to redshirt next year. 13 scholarship players and 2-3 capable walk-ons should be enough to succeed. If we do not see vast improvement in year 3 I think this is a failure. I think we need to be doing better now, but next year is looking really good. Especially if Fussell can contribute and we sign Houston.

Was a good listen. He seems to know his stuff. Kind of obvious that making your shots allows you to set up your defense and do better on that end. He seems to be happy with the offense other than the players not making their shots.

Feels like we just need better players and more players that can participate at this point. Also mentioned foul trouble and having to sub players to survive foul trouble vs. trying to win the game.

Would still like to see more intensity, focus, and effort on the defensive end. But it's a young team with a short bench and young culture/program so maybe that will develop in time?

Bottom line is we need better players and more of them.

The whole "shots just weren't falling" kind of troubled me. As I touched upon earlier in another thread, it almost leaves winning and success to random chance. He then bases defensive weaknesses on random chance e.g. missed shots on offensive end does not allow setting up defense. It's likely the case, but why focus on that approach?

Just about all of us witnessed for years that offensive success starts by a force of will of dogged, intense, and extra effort on defense. Countless times after games Chip would even comment about how good things start happening offensively when players buckle down with tough strong defense.

Perhaps it's a matter of focus and attitude on various elements of the game, but something about that discussion troubled me. In CNM's defense, perhaps he didn't mention some of those nuances for brevity's sake.

It is interesting that he is redshirting two walk-ons even if those walk-ons played at another D1 school on scholarship. I don't think this is the case, but maybe he is setting it up to where year 3 is the breakout year. Barring anyone transferring out and bringing in transfers we should not have anyone that has to redshirt next year. 13 scholarship players and 2-3 capable walk-ons should be enough to succeed. If we do not see vast improvement in year 3 I think this is a failure. I think we need to be doing better now, but next year is looking really good. Especially if Fussell can contribute and we sign Houston.
Should have listened before posting this. Apparently the two walk-ons from D1 programs have to sit out because of transfer rules.

Should have listened before posting this. Apparently the two walk-ons from D1 programs have to sit out because of transfer rules.

Yep, I apparently missed it but if they were on scholarship elsewhere last year sitting out would be indicated. Yet in looking at their stats from previous schools can't imagine they are anything more than practice fodder. Would be crazy to think they were promised a scholarship after a walk-on year unless McDevitt sees a heck of a lot more than they have showed so far. And Coffee is paying Out of State tuition to walk on? Hard to understand, for sure.

This thread reminds me of something I ranted about a few times from the early days of CNM's tenure. In my opinion, CNM could really benefit from better public relations. He has a bunch of people that want to be informed fans of his team, but his availability and communications with the fans seems somewhat limited. It would also possibly benefit him if the fans knew how of his efforts and approach in trying to develop the team. If fans saw the team progressing in some of the detailed areas he is working on, some people might be a little more patient or confident in his direction. Unfortunately, in too many areas we are left with observing and speculating. If us fans are guessing, we are likely not out influencing others in the community to go watch the team play games.

It is what it is. We need better players. Period. We could have the best coaching staff in the world and it wouldn't be good enough. Our rotation is thin and we just don't have any consistent work horses like we are used to having and until we can find some, we will continue to be a bad and inconsistent team.

Yep, I apparently missed it but if they were on scholarship elsewhere last year sitting out would be indicated. Yet in looking at their stats from previous schools can't imagine they are anything more than practice fodder. Would be crazy to think they were promised a scholarship after a walk-on year unless McDevitt sees a heck of a lot more than they have showed so far. And Coffee is paying Out of State tuition to walk on? Hard to understand, for sure.
I don't think he is expecting them to be contributors, but what coach would not take walk ons from other D1 schools instead of the normal DII/DIII player who wants to walk on at a D1 school? If it ever got to a point where injuries and fouls cause us to need to play walk-ons in a game these guys are better choices than most walk-ons at our level.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I don't think he is expecting them to be contributors, but what coach would not take walk ons from other D1 schools instead of the normal DII/DIII player who wants to walk on at a D1 school? If it ever got to a point where injuries and fouls cause us to need to play walk-ons in a game these guys are better choices than most walk-ons at our level.

I do understand McDevitt allowing them to walk-on after a red-shirt year. What I don't understand it the two players motivations. Most unusual situation, one I've never heard of at any school. (not saying it hasn't happened - I just don't recall such an incidence.

Reactions: crposton
ADVERTISEMENT