ADVERTISEMENT

Huge Hit to Backfield

...Running backs Amir Rasul and Martell Pettaway have both opted out of the 2020 season due to concerns revolving around the COVID-19 pandemic.

MT coach Rick Stockstill also stated that redshirt sophomore receiver Tyrece Johnson, as well as three walk-ons, have also opted out of the 2020 season.

"They better take care of their bodies and stay safe because I'm not around to remind them now," Stockstill said. "They're not allowed around here because they chose not to be here because they felt like they'd be safer away.....

...Running backs Amir Rasul and Martell Pettaway have both opted out of the 2020 season due to concerns revolving around the COVID-19 pandemic.

MT coach Rick Stockstill also stated that redshirt sophomore receiver Tyrece Johnson, as well as three walk-ons, have also opted out of the 2020 season.

"They better take care of their bodies and stay safe because I'm not around to remind them now," Stockstill said. "They're not allowed around here because they chose not to be here because they felt like they'd be safer away.....
I sense a twinge of resentment in that last sentence. Wow.

Go figure...our two best signees from last year opt out but that's their right to do it. Unfortunately for them, I think the athletic facility is the best place to be.

It has been proven that Athletes that are taking care of their bodies have the best shot at fighting this thing even if they get it. Stupid move. I'd be pissed as a coach too with it being just 2 weeks away. Mobley will carry the weight just fine.

If we go on a win streak, they will regret that decision and will probably enter the portal never playing here at all. These kids today. Sheesh.

We now only have 4 scholarship RB's on the roster with 2 being true freshman. That's an issue with our injury history the last 15 years.

Reactions: Raiders_55
It has been proven that Athletes that are taking care of their bodies have the best shot at fighting this thing even if they get it. Stupid move. I'd be pissed as a coach too with it being just 2 weeks away. Mobley will carry the weight just fine.

If we go on a win streak, they will regret that decision and will probably enter the portal never playing here at all. These kids today. Sheesh.

I would think that all persons who take "care of their bodies have that best shot at fighting this thing even if they get it."
I'm just not sure there is credible information that young men who are in and around 100+ other people daily is the way to go. We are in the early stages of leaning about the symptoms, transmission and treatment of this new virus. I don't have a "dog in the hunt". If we can have sports safely I'm all for it. If having sports exacerbates the problem shut it down. IMHO it's still up in the air.

So I guess Walmart, Kroger, and any service industry employee is exempt? They are around 500+ people a day. Might as well shut them down too.

I would think that all persons who take "care of their bodies have that best shot at fighting this thing even if they get it."
I'm just not sure there is credible information that young men who are in and around 100+ other people daily is the way to go. We are in the early stages of leaning about the symptoms, transmission and treatment of this new virus. I don't have a "dog in the hunt". If we can have sports safely I'm all for it. If having sports exacerbates the problem shut it down. IMHO it's still up in the air.

I sense a twinge of resentment in that last sentence. Wow.

I would be, left us with 4 RB's (2 True Freshmen) and obviously they didn't opt until after the NCAA preserved a year of eligibility.

Not really using your noodle if you don't think this isn't going to damage your prospects of playing time in 2021.

I would be, left us with 4 RB's (2 True Freshmen) and obviously they didn't opt until after the NCAA preserved a year of eligibility.

Not really using your noodle if you don't think this isn't going to damage your prospects of playing time in 2021.

Doubt they are here next year. Just gonna get free ride this season and transfer out before the next.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Although I may disagree with their choice, I don't blame the kids. I would probably agree with coach stock's frustration if they waited until late in the process to inform him.

If giving these kids a free pass for the year is the price to be able to have a go at the season, then it is worth it in my book.

Although I may disagree with their choice, I don't blame the kids.

I don't either in the grand scheme of things but as you pointed out if they announced it on June 8th, ok we get it. But when the NCAA announced eligibility was extended and they coped out then it wasn't about COVID at all, they are simply want to play one year and hope they get a shot at the league.

Unfortunately the lack of desire to play this late in the season is a character indictment.

In years past, Stock has moved WR's, DB's and LB's over to play a little RB so I believe we will see player or two there that we didn't expect.

Talking to some folks around the program, and they are pissed about these guys opting out.

I don't agree with them - I think players have the right to protect themselves as they see fit - but I can understand the irritation.

Had the two running backs let them know earlier in the summer, they could have tried to find replacements. Now it's too late.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
My opinion is the two P5 RBs decision to opt out has less to do with COVID concerns and more to do with the opportunity the NCAA's ruling on eligibility has given them. If they weren't happy in Murfreesboro - and I don't know they weren't, I'm just speculating - they now have the opportunity to transfer again and not be penalized.

Good for them. If it is too dangerous for volleyball and soccer to play this fall in CUSA, then it probably is for football as well.

I am opting out as well.

Reactions: MTTim
I'm going on record, I doubt those two guys could beat out Frank Peasant when (or if) they return. This kids highlight reel is legit putting up 2K as a senior and he's going to be special, you throw in the fact that they conceded all the reps to him in his Freshman year they just created a monster.
I agree totally with this statement. Plus, we have MacDonald who ran a 94 yd TD on a D that beat Miami last year.

Doubt they are here next year. Just gonna get free ride this season and transfer out before the next.

And if players opt out somewhere else and want to transfer to MTSU for next season, MT will reject them.

Right? Don't want somebody that just got a free ride on another school's dime... is that the deal?

Looks like they saw the writing on the wall. I'll be honest, at this point, I don't see why people are committing to our football program with Stockstill at the head. It's really sad. Yes, they'll graduate and get a good degree - but what makes us any different from other programs with good APRs?

ADVERTISEMENT