ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING How the CUSA teams stacked up in 2020 recruiting..

Yeah Marshall has always had some unsavory recruiting practices. Don't they have some sort of educational program that allows them to take on high risk academic players? Some sort of developmental disability thing or something? Where the kids are so stupid and uneducated that they accept them into some sort of a waiver/program ?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Honestly, our recruiting is about as good as it can be with all things considered. Our facilities are not that great, our football program has no prestige, we do not carry big home crowds or lucrative TV deals, and we are named freakin Middle Tennessee State University. There's just nothing about our program that's going to make a kid say "Man, I've gotta sign there!"

That's just the cold hard truth.

Stockstill is doing about as best as he can with what we've got and what he's been given. Sure, I could nitpick here and there, especially a few years ago when we had real problems with our OL and OL depth. There has been roster mismanagement at times from a numbers perspective, but overall I would say we've got what we paid for (Stockstill's salary is somewhat of a bargain when you look around the league now).

I'm really just trying to learn to enjoy it now. One day at a time, one game at a time, one season at a time, and hope and pray for the best. It is frustrating that some of our coaches are dinosaurs and appear to be eating for free. I do have to give Tommy West credit for bringing in that stud linebacker, but ironically it sounds like it was more of an accidental find than anything. Seems like he should have been in contact with the kid and his family from the get-go. I would like to see more young blood assistant, up and comers, with lots of hunger and passion like Coach Royston who has done an amazing job since being elevated (he will be poached soon).

It's a hard sell and a hard build here at MT. That's just the cold hard truth.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Honestly, our recruiting is about as good as it can be with all things considered. Our facilities are not that great, our football program has no prestige, we do not carry big home crowds or lucrative TV deals, and we are named freakin Middle Tennessee State University. There's just nothing about our program that's going to make a kid say "Man, I've gotta sign there!"

That's just the cold hard truth.

Stockstill is doing about as best as he can with what we've got and what he's been given. Sure, I could nitpick here and there, especially a few years ago when we had real problems with our OL and OL depth. There has been roster mismanagement at times from a numbers perspective, but overall I would say we've got what we paid for (Stockstill's salary is somewhat of a bargain when you look around the league now).

I'm really just trying to learn to enjoy it now. One day at a time, one game at a time, one season at a time, and hope and pray for the best. It is frustrating that some of our coaches are dinosaurs and appear to be eating for free. I do have to give Tommy West credit for bringing in that stud linebacker, but ironically it sounds like it was more of an accidental find than anything. Seems like he should have been in contact with the kid and his family from the get-go. I would like to see more young blood assistant, up and comers, with lots of hunger and passion like Coach Royston who has done an amazing job since being elevated (he will be poached soon).

It's a hard sell and a hard build here at MT. That's just the cold hard truth.
Agree with most of your assessment. I like Stock a lot and think he's done a good job. I agree with folks who say he should have won more in a couple of specific seasons, but it could be argued he overachieved in others.

I think inserting Eli Miller and to your point, Silvoy, Royston and Gilstrap has added some new blood which was needed.

My only gripe is in state recruiting. There are good prospects in the Nashville and Knoxville areas who would jump at the chance to take an MTSU offer. Letting those kids go to Troy, Tulane, and other direct competitors should be avoided at all costs. It seems we've prioritized South Carolina, Georgia and Florida over our in-state kids. And I'm not saying they aren't taking good players - just that you build your brand in-state. And you build a ticket-buying fanbase that way as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT