ADVERTISEMENT

How many 1st round games does CUSA have to win...

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
before it gets more respect?

It's becoming clearly obvious MT deserved to be in the tournament......

Reactions: dukewayne
What I hate about all this, there is no accountability for the NCAA committee and their GOD AWFUL bubble selections.

Reactions: C-Bow
Looks like I just posted on this topic in the wrong thread. I share the same sentiments seeing Marshall do so well vs a very good and highly ranked team. It's like 4 straight years of confirming vindication for the top teams in C-USA, and the corrupt NCAA system refuses to acknowledge the obvious out of greed and control of power.

Reactions: cipjr
Needless to say we should have been there this year. So let’s hang a NIT banner and move onward and forward!

In a world where the NCAA is legit, honest, and fair, C-USA has 3 teams in this year with lowest seed being a 12. In that scenario, I'd say the chances would be strong that 2 of those teams would get at least one win.

Another thing that sickens me about this rigged system, Marshall vs Wichita St should have been a matchup in the Sweet 16. That was two heavyweights throwing haymaker after haymaker for it to be a first round matchup. In that regard, the NCAA is hurting themselves in addition to hurting programs in C-USA. Same thing for when MT was in the tourney.

Continuing my rant:

I don't even think the ongoing FBI investigation has really gotten the attention of the powers that be in the NCAA system. It seems like it would have to get a whole lot worse for the NCAA leadership to wake up.

In a day and age when corrupt leaders across the broad spectrum of society aren't even shy about their avarice and greed, I think the regular decent people have to stand up and say enough. Sadly for mid-majors, those so called leaders in position to protest and advocate for change generally refuse to do so as they frequently are wanting their next step to be one of the leaders in a P5 type program.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Marshall will have to play their butts off to beat West Virginia. Looks to me like a bad matchup for them.

Good point. WVU is looking really strong. Then again, Bobby Huggins has made a career out of having some seriously good teams capable of Final Four runs. Plus, it seems that the Big XII has some really strong teams. WVU, Kansas, and Texas Tech come to mind.

the reason why cusa gets no love, its the bottom schools that drag the conference down. get rid of fiu, fau, rice, charlotte the rpi would be way up

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Marshall will have to play their butts off to beat West Virginia. Looks to me like a bad matchup for them.

Depends on which WV team shows up. The one that is great in the 1st half or the one that falls apart from a huge halftime lead and loses.

For once with them playing each other (they used to every year till WVU finally said they got nothing playing Marshall SOS wise), this actually looks to be a good match up. Marshall has the speed (what killed us among our own undoing) going against PressVirginia and their standstill defense.

Either way as much as it pains me, I'm glad to see that Marshall won. Looks good for our conference and actually makes me feel better that our loses to them weren't just us totally playing like crap. Not totally anyway.

the reason why cusa gets no love, its the bottom schools that drag the conference down. get rid of fiu, fau, rice, charlotte the rpi would be way up

Year after year after year of all those type rationalizations, benefit of the doubt, excuse making, and so on, it has become increasingly clear it's not just some improving the rpi of the conference type thing. If one is in a P5 type conference, then conference rpi might have some effect. Bottomline is that the NCAA Tournament system is just flat out crooked in selecting the "power" conferences. If you are not in one of the "power" conferences, only the most extreme of exceptions will be given any real consideration for a bid while still lowballing the seed. On top of not seeming to respect the rpi as much as they might have 10-15 years ago, the selection committee now appears to keep moving the goalposts on what they are looking for in an at-large bid. The rpi is continuously changing target. Last 10 games now seems to mean nothing. Apparently, what does matter is if your team is a national brand recognizable on tv across the country. A freshman phenom soon heading to the NBA also seems to be criteria the committee is looking for.

It's pretty obvious I've had my fill of the NCAA corruption. Typically I do want to see MT's conference improve and become increasingly competitive. It's always good to strive to be as good as you possibly can be. Sadly, I think the NCAA committee and leadership are now shedding any pretenses about giving "mid-major" and/or G5 types programs a legitimate and fair shot.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Almost forgot to add, I do agree that some programs in C-USA need to get their act together. For overall competitiveness and in case any of the corruption ever gets cleaned up in the NCAA i.e. the ongoing FBI investigation.

FAU and FIU have been a couple of the worst offenders. Then again, that was the case in football as well. Then finally both of them went out last year and got serious about investing in quality coaching. Both teams dramatically improved. They really need to make similar efforts with basketball as they are hurting the conference. I'm not sure I would lump Charlotte in with them at this point. Right now they are terrible, but that is why they are finding a new head coach. Same goes for UTEP. Both of those programs have the potential to be really good and strong in basketball. Those two schools don't seem content to stay at the bottom of the conference. It also seems UTSA and North Texas are trying to improve. A good chunk of the other C-USA programs seem to put forth good effort to compete with the better teams in the conference. To be clear though, there is a difference between a down year with a RPI of 195 vs a down year with a RPI of 346.

Wow. How did I miss that article. Glad some in the sports media are paying attention. That guy is on point. The criteria is how many wins vs top 7 conf teams did you have? Then top 7 conf teams are giving less and less opportunities to play them especially on a neutral or home floor for mid-major. Resultantly, mid-majors just don't have a chance to even be considered for at large bids. It's a rigged system.

One of the announcers during the Vermont game brought up something that has got me thinking.

He suggested that maybe the Mid Majors need to get together and have tourneys themselves similar to the SEC/B12 Challenge. Not CUSA against SBC mind you, but against other good RPI conferences such as the A10, Atlantic Sun, etc. Part of me says that would separate even more the whole P7 or whatever it is for basketball and the rest.
Part of me says it would help build resumes better than playing a low end SEC or ACC school.

One of the announcers during the Vermont game brought up something that has got me thinking.

He suggested that maybe the Mid Majors need to get together and have tourneys themselves similar to the SEC/B12 Challenge. Not CUSA against SBC mind you, but against other good RPI conferences such as the A10, Atlantic Sun, etc. Part of me says that would separate even more the whole P7 or whatever it is for basketball and the rest.
Part of me says it would help build resumes better than playing a low end SEC or ACC school.

It depends. Everything is relative in CBB. Too much weight is given to early season OOC games because they are ultimately used to define how good or bad each conference is in the grand scheme of things. These OOC games end up destroying Group of 5 conferences because bottom tier schools in conferences like CUSA go and turn in a nice 2-10 out of conference record while going like 0-6 against Power 5 competition. This KILLS a conferences "rank"

If no crappy teams played any Power 5 teams, and only good schools played Power 5 teams and actually had some success, our leagues would only be judged on the good schools results....and if we mostly won our games, our conference would actually be ranked ahead of said Power 5 conference.

What absolutely destroys us is what I said above. Schools like FAU and FIU and Rice going 0-6 against Power 5 conferences. Totally wrecks us but they are not going to stop scheduling those games because they want the money. They're going to keep our rankings in the basement though.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
CUSA is 4-0 in the NCAA’s first round over the last four years. We are 5-0 in current tournaments.

NCAA is a cartel.

And thank you for Bruce's twitter handle space. I say we just continue to enlighten him daily.

Are we going to have to start a #metoo movement on getting screwed by the NCAA?

Last edited:
Reactions: dukewayne
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT