ADVERTISEMENT

How liberal is Middle Tennessee?

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
I believe it is fair to say that most colleges and universities are liberal. But relative to other schools, how liberal is Middle Tennessee and how tolerant is the university to conservative organizations? I realize the university has a College Republicans chapter but would you ever see a College Republicans banner hanging in the student center like you see at the Morgan University Center at Austin Peay? How effective is the Middle Tennessee College Republicans in providing a conservative voice on campus and in making a difference in the GOP community?

IMG_2013030548699_DETL.jpg

I believe compared to Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee is very liberal. Obviously with the presence of soldiers at Austin Peay and the educational support of the Austin Peay Center at Ft. Campbell, Austin Peay is very military friendly. Certainly, Middle Tennessee may not be viewed as a radically liberal college but from reading some of the posts on this forum, I believe it is safe to say liberalism is the dominate political ideology on campus. BBJ, with that said, how did you escape the liberal indoctrination of the university when so many others obviously did not?

APSU-Football-47.jpg

APCFC.jpg

"BBJ, with that said, how did you escape the liberal indoctrination of the university when so many others obviously did not"?

I was a Christian before I ever enrolled at MTSU back in the day. I remember attending a men's prayer group that met in the University Center. I also took six hours in the old "Religious Studies" department that no longer exists (with Dr. McCray). I also remember meeting and having Christian friends throughout my college days.

So, to answer your question, I tried my best to follow Christ and associate myself with fellow Christians. This, in itself, was my shield from ungodly liberal indoctrination. "...be ye separate, sayeth the Lord...." (2 Cor. 6:17)

BBJ, I want you to know I admire you greatly for your spirituality and conservatism. If it wasn't for you, I believe I would probably have given up posting on this forum a long time ago. Did you read my response to Lynn's reference to Revelation 2:9 (see link)? If so what are your thoughts?

The Letter to the Church at Smyrna

Originally posted by nashvillegoldenflash:
BBJ, I want you to know I admire you greatly for your spirituality and conservatism. If it wasn't for you, I believe I would probably have given up posting on this forum a long time ago. Did you read my response to Lynn's reference to Revelation 2:9 (see link)? If so what are your thoughts?
Flash, I just read it. Great post!

You know, we, as Americans, have been blessed in a unique way throughout much of our existence in that, for the most part, we have enjoyed freedom of religion without the consequence of religious persecution. This freedom, I might add, was paid for by the blood of many men and women who died to establish and preserve it. However, as our country continues to spiral down the Godless path of secularism, we are beginning to experience more and more persecution for our Christian faith/beliefs. This could not be more evident than with the Godless, paganistic Obama administration and its sycophant, slavish media. Even our closest ally, Israel, is being trashed and impugned by this administration.

Yes, we must perservere to the end, my friend, and "take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God (Eph. 6:17)", with us. God bless you, my friend.

--BBJ

In a ranking of most liberal schools in Tennessee, Middle Tennessee is the most liberal among the predominately white schools and is tied with Lane College, a historically black college located in Jackson, Tennessee (see link). Having taken only business classes at Middle Tennessee, I really don't know how liberal the other departments are at MT but if this ranking is any indication, I'm sure they are led by department heads who are pretty far to the left.

Most Liberal Schools in Tennessee

In a ranking of most liberal schools in Tennessee, Middle Tennessee is the most liberal among the predominately white schools and is tied with Lane College, a historically black college located in Jackson, Tennessee (see link). Having taken only business classes at Middle Tennessee, I really don't know how liberal the other departments are at MT but if this ranking is any indication, I'm sure they are led by department heads who are pretty far to the left.
Flash, I'm curious as to what metric they used to measure this? Seems rather odd how they arrived at these rankings....

BBJ, I'm really not sure what criteria was used in this ranking. However, if Middle Tennessee is as liberal as this ranking suggests it is then that might explain the sense of victimhood that is prevalent among many MT posters. Obviously, historically black colleges are going to be liberal and that is why LeMoyne-Owen, Tennessee State, and Fisk are ranked ahead of Middle Tennessee. What is surprising to see, however, is that Middle Tennessee is tied with Lane College, another historically black college. For what it's worth, I appreciate all the colleges that I attended including Tennessee State but I have a problem with TSU's racist attitude. When the O.J. Simpson "not guilty" verdict was announced, the TSU students, who were gathered in the student center, cheered. Since black people are always viewed as the victim, that was probably the same reaction seen throughout most of the historically black colleges. Below is how the students at Hampton University reacted to the verdict.

"Then came the verdict, and immediately the 100 or more Hampton University students at the Student Union were on their feet, clapping, screaming, hugging each other and raising their fists in the air - relieved, not only for Simpson, but for all African-Americans."

Unbelievable! Imagine how people would react if Ole Miss students had cheered if Byron De La Beckwith was found not guilty for the murder of Medgar Evers.

That is why I wear apparel of all the schools I have attended except for Tennessee State. I just can't find myself promoting a school that is so openly racist. For what it's worth, I have tons of MT and Kent State apparel so I obviously don't have a problem with liberal schools. The reason I posted the thread in the first place was to get opinions from other posters but of course you were the only one who responded.

This post was edited on 8/7 8:18 PM by nashvillegoldenflash

BBJ, I'm really not sure what criteria was used in this ranking. However, if Middle Tennessee is as liberal as this ranking suggests it is then that might explain the sense of victimhood that is prevalent among many MT posters. Obviously, historically black colleges are going to be liberal and that is why LeMoyne-Owen, Tennessee State, and Fisk are ranked ahead of Middle Tennessee. What is surprising to see, however, is that Middle Tennessee is tied with Lane College, another historically black college. For what it's worth, I appreciate all the colleges that I attended including Tennessee State but I have a problem with TSU's racist attitude. When the O.J. Simpson "not guilty" verdict was announced, the TSU students, who were gathered in the student center, cheered. Since black people are always viewed as the victim, that was probably the same reaction seen throughout most of the historically black colleges. Below is how the students at Hampton University reacted to the verdict.

"Then came the verdict, and immediately the 100 or more Hampton University students at the Student Union were on their feet, clapping, screaming, hugging each other and raising their fists in the air - relieved, not only for Simpson, but for all African-Americans."

Unbelievable! Imagine how people would react if Ole Miss students had cheered if Byron De La Beckwith was found not guilty for the murder of Medgar Evers.

That is why I wear apparel of all the schools I have attended except for Tennessee State. I just can't find myself promoting a school that is so openly racist. For what it's worth, I have tons of MT and Kent State apparel so I obviously don't have a problem with liberal schools. The reason I posted the thread in the first place was to get opinions from other posters but of course you were the only one who responded.

This post was edited on 8/7 8:18 PM by nashvillegoldenflash
Flash, sadly this "victimhood" mentality is what is continually perpetuated and preached by the so-called "leaders" of the black community, e.g., Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, et al. Additionally, there are no amount of benefits or special treatment that will end this mindset, either. Even if "reparations for slavery" were given--such as the aforementioned have advocated--they would still not be satisfied. Why end the gravy train? Victimhood status and special treatment will always be sought ad finitum by the Democrats and agitators like Jackson and Sharpton. After all, black people are one of the primary constituent groups of the Democratic Party. Sadly, most blacks do not realize that the Democrats only care about their votes--NOT the black people they claim to care about.

Flash, this article more or less articulates what I just stated in my previous post:

The Race Industry Depends on a Black Voting Bloc August 08, 2014

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: To the phones we go, Open Line Friday, this is Annette, Cedar Park, Texas, I'm glad you waited. Great to have you with us.

CALLER: Hey.

RUSH: Hey.

CALLER: How are you? If I'm a little bit tongue-tied it's just because I'm so thrilled to talk to you.

RUSH: Well, I appreciate that. You don't seem tongue-tied at all yet.

CALLER: Just wait. (laughing) Oh, how are you today?

RUSH: Ah, I'm, uh -- (laughing) -- a little tongue-tied. Doing well. Thank you.

CALLER: Good. Good. Well, I wanted to tell you about a conversation I had with a former student. I teach high school, and the former student that I had lunch with this week is now a junior and a poli-sci major and just to give you a little bit of her character, she didn't want to be known as a Democrat or Republican, and so she joined the Alexander Hamilton Club--

DemSharptonJackson.jpg
RUSH: Right.

CALLER: -- and is part of Amnesty International.

RUSH: Aw, jeez. Aw, jeez. Okay. All right. Go ahead. Go ahead.

CALLER: So we're talking about the Obama administration and the country and one of the things that she said that I found really interesting was that she wished that people who are black -- and she happens to be a black American, originally from Nigeria, she wished that they could vote the way they wanted to as opposed to how they're being forced to vote. That the pressure on certain communities to vote a specific way is just unimaginable. And, you know, I kind of suspected that might be the case, but it just threw me for a loop, and --

RUSH: Well, it really is the question. She's referring to the 93% of the black vote that every Democrat gets every presidential race.

CALLER: Right.

RUSH: She's assuming that there is pressure on all of them to vote Democrat and that there has been, but that really is the question: Are they being forced to, or is it really just what they instinctively are raised to do? How much pressure or force, peer pressure, otherwise, is present in that decision. I assume that she has more to say. I'd like to hear it, so don't hang up, and we'll continue this here just a second.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Okay. We welcome back Annette here, Cedar Park, Texas. You're still there, right?

CALLER: Yeah.

RUSH: Okay, now, I looked up the Alexander Hamilton Society.

CALLER: Uh-huh.

RUSH: Here's what I found. It's an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting constructive debate on basic principles and contemporary issues in foreign, economic, and national security policy.

CALLER: Uh-huh.

RUSH: They say they're not a think tank and they're not a partisan advocacy group. They sponsor debates at colleges and universities and I got a little bit here from their mission statement. They take a, quote, "measured pride in the success of the American experiment and understanding that America's greatness is the result of its commitment to individual liberty, limited government, economic freedom --" now, why not take a side and defend that? I'm not asking you that, that's just my first reaction. Anyway, so this former student of yours is a member of that society.

Sharpton-resist-we-much.jpg
RUSH: And she told you that she's really upset about people who vote in blocs, like the African-American vote for Democrats.

CALLER: Right. And the pressure to do that, because she said that, you know, when you talk to a group of black Americans or white Americans or Hispanic, you get the same conversation that they tend to be more conservative, they tend to not carry the liberal agenda, but yet when it comes to voting, all bets are off, they throw what they believe out and vote by pressure. And it drives her nuts.

RUSH: Well, as it should. But was she able to identify, is it peer pressure? Is it do people think that they have to vote a certain way so that these groups will accept them?

CALLER: Well, a lot of it is peer pressure, either from churches or leaders in the community, and you kind of get the sense of that when you look at what's happened with Bill Cosby. He came out and said, you know, the black community needs to stop shooting itself, and he was ostracized for his message of, you know, we need to take things back and become educated again and focus on education, focus on getting ahead. But he's been kind of kicked to the curb because of that positive message, and it's the kind of same thing that we were talking about at lunch, you know, people don't have the right, even though, you know, this is the United States, everybody should have the right to a private vote. But the pressure to vote a certain way is so strong, and people aren't a bloc of anything. You know, there's no bloc of women votes. Everybody votes differently.

RUSH: Well, let me tell you something: There is no bloc that votes in unity as black Americans do. The women, I mean, the female vote in this country is always a 50-50 proposition, depending on the candidacy --

RUSH: -- and the year, but the male vote, the female vote, it's always up for grabs. The black vote never is. The Hispanic vote is more up for grabs than people know.

Cosby_large.jpg
RUSH: But the black vote is 90% for the Democrat candidate every year no matter what. Now, you bring up Cosby. I remember when Cosby did that. There's been a couple of occasions, and he's not the only one. Thomas Sowell has done it on occasion. And every time somebody stands up -- let's use Cosby since you did. Cosby stands up and urges blacks to be independently successful, to learn to read, study, to get good grades, and is slapped down. People misunderstand why he gets slapped down. There is a huge business, I call it the race industry, and it's popularized and run by people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. And it's how they make their living.

You talk about a solution, there's never gonna be a solution to this. They can't afford it. They cannot afford for racial strife to end. There's too much profit in it, and Cosby threatens that. Cosby's very influential. Cosby's a guy that a lot of people look up to. Not just because of the TV characters he's portrayed, but because he is successful, and he's very popular, and he's well liked, and he is independent. So when he stands up and says these things, it's a threat. It's a threat to people who make money and maintain power by maintaining the status quo. Anything that's gonna upset that is gonna be dispatched, and there won't be any loyalty of race or ideology or anything else.

When somebody's dollars are threatened, and in this case it's a large amount, they're gonna be slapped down. I don't know if people stop to think that, realize that or even care that that's a factor, but it's the major factor when a guy like Cosby gets slapped down. But look, I appreciate the call, Annette, I really do. Thank you very much. Great Open Line Friday contribution. I'd say that.

END TRANSCRIPT

"You put them first (Democrats) and they put you last. 'Cause you're a chump. A political chump!…Any time you throw your weight behind a political party that controls two-thirds of the government, and that party can't keep the promise that it made to you during election time, and you are dumb enough to walk around continuing to identify yourself with that party, you're not only a chump but you're a traitor to your race." -- Malcolm X

MALCOLM X: "You're A Political Chump!"

More than five and a half years in to Barack Obama's presidency, the number of African-Americans participating in the labor force has hit rock bottom..
The news media has ignored this stunning revelation from the monthly jobs report by the Labor Department.
The exception has been PBS, which interviewed economist Dean Baker who had written about it in a report published in January.

"The drop in labor force participation was sharpest for African Americans, who saw a decline of 0.3 percentage points to 60.2 percent, the lowest rate since December of 1977. The rate for African American men fell 0.7 percentage points to 65.6 percent, the lowest on record.[/B] The decline in labor force participation was associated with a drop in the overall African American unemployment rate of 0.5 percentage points to 11.9, and a drop of 0.6 percentage points to 11.6 percent for African American men."
Baker, Co-Director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, told PBS's Judy Woodruff that contrary to those who spin the falling labor force participation rate as mainly coming from retiring Baby Boomers, young workers are dropping out by the millions.
"…it is easy to see the big falloff in labor force participation is among prime age workers, 25-to-54-years-olds. That is down by four full percentage points. That is equivalent to five million people in their prime ages. They are not retiring at age 50."[/QUOTE]
The White House fed black media the news that black unemployment was down five points from its 2010 high of 16.9% but did not say that this was largely the result of more African-Americans giving up on finding jobs in the Obama economy.
While black support for Obama is over 80%, some in the African-American community put their desire for a job ahead of their pride in the first black president in the 2012 election. According to Pew Research, 19% of young black men voted for Republican Mitt Romney--a loss of 14% for Obama from 2008.
Economist Walter Williams put black labor force participation in historical context in a column published last year by pointing out that up until the 1960s blacks were as well or better represented in the labor force than whites.
"From 1900 to 1954, blacks were more active than whites in the labor market. Until about 1960, black male labor force participation in every age group was equal to or greater than that of whites. During that period, black teen unemployment was roughly equal to or less than white teen unemployment. As early as 1900, the duration of black unemployment was 15 percent shorter than that of whites; today it's about 30 percent longer."[/QUOTE]
What happened after that? Liberalism--and now Obama.

[/QUOTE]

Lowest Level Ever Recorded

Back on November 2, 2012, Louis Farrakhan spoke at Tennessee State University and some Middle Tennessee State University students were in attendance (see link). BBJ, considering how liberal MT is relative to other Tennessee schools, I wonder how many students would have attended if Farrakhan had spoke at Middle Tennessee? Although MT has 4,310 African-American students compared to the 5,203 black students that attend TSU, I believe a large number of liberal white students would have shown up to hear him speak. As a conservative, I'm still amazed how liberal people are today. For example, we have a poster on this forum who channels Louis Farrakhan and I'm the only one who calls him out. Certainly you have been an ardent supporter of Israel and I greatly appreciate that. But all the others seem to be pro-Palestinian with the exception of Blueraider_ Mike. I swear liberalism is a mental disorder.

Although I always admired Dr. Walker and really don't have any major problems with Dr. McPhee, I sure would like to see Middle Tennessee get a more conservative president after Dr. McPhee retires. Considering that most academics are very liberal, I know the chances of getting one are slim but if MT continues to become a bastion of liberal ideology, it won't be too long before MT becomes another TSU. After all, according to the ranking, Middle Tennessee is just as liberal as Lane College. Whether the ranking is fair or not, that seems to be the perception of the university. Thoughts?

This post was edited on 8/10 12:29 AM by nashvillegoldenflash

Farrakhan at TSU

Flash, Farrakhan has claimed HE is Jesus and Elijah! (See link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xx9E_G6-EM)

I truly feel sorry for anyone who would give serious consideration to anyone who is as warped in their thinking as the race-baiting, hatemonger Farrakhan. It only serves to illustrates how lost our society has become.

BBJ, if Tennessee Tech mandates a Muslim Brotherhood book to be read by its students, I can't imagine what Middle Tennessee might require its students to read. Having students understand Islam is one thing but mandating its students to read a book written by a Muslim radical is indoctrination in my view. I realize liberals will question my use of the words "radical Muslim" in describing the author but read the following and decide for yourself whether he is too radical for required reading:

"Eboo Patel has been identified as one of 6 Muslim Brotherhood operatives working within the White House. His position currently is on the Advisory Council on Faith-Based Neighborhood Partnerships. Patel, who was a speaker at a 3 day conference held by the Muslim Student Association (another MB organization) sat on a panel which included Tariq Ramadan, grandson of Hassan Al Banna, the founder of the Muslim Brotherhood and Siraj Wahhaj, who was named as a possible co-conspirator in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. Wahhaj has also been known to support the Ikwhans position on an Islamic takeover over in America."
"In 2005 Patel and several young radicals co-authored the book Letters from Young Activists: Today's Rebels Speak Out. Among Patel's co-authors were Chesa Boudin (the adopted son of former Weather Underground terrorist Bill Ayers) and Ismail Khalidi (the son of Columbia University professor Rashid Khalidi). The book's Preface was written by Ayers' wife, Weather Underground co-founder Bernardine Dohrn. The back cover featured an endorsement from the convicted cop-killer and former Black Panther Party member Mumia Abu-Jamal. And on the Acknowledgments page, Patel and his fellow authors thanked Ayers personally for the "guidance" and "encouragement" he had provided."Note: Back in the early 70s, I read several books written by Angela Davis and Eldridge Cleaver to get a different perspective and a better understanding of the radical left. Although I agree that reading books of different social and political perspectives can be beneficial, I believe the decision to read Eboo Patel's book should be based on the individual and not by an institutional mandate. Thoughts?

This post was edited on 8/24 1:03 PM by nashvillegoldenflash

TN Tech Mandates Muslim Brotherhood Book Be Read

"This is what Islamization, stealth jihad, or civilization jihad looks like. It creeps into a society. I'm just wondering why TN Tech University Pres. Dr. Oldham is "excited" about this Islamic indoctrination. And, why isn't he pushing a book by Chuck Colson, or Henry Blackaby (as Michael DelGiorno suggested on his show this morning) or Billy Graham, or a Catholic, Buddhist or Hindu one?"

TN Tech University Mandates Muslim Indoctrination

ADVERTISEMENT