ADVERTISEMENT

How important was Jason Spray to this team?

blueraiderJT

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2006
As soon as he left, we went to hell. Think about that. This newer S&C dude is a complete joke. That was the lynch pin when you think about it. Spray was the secret to any success we had here. We need to get him back.

Ding. I’m pretty sure the reason he left was recruiting. S&C has been given an impossible job for years to turn cornerbacks into linebackers and linebackers into defensive tackles.

Reactions: C-Bow and mtfblue
Ding. I’m pretty sure the reason he left was recruiting. S&C has been given an impossible job for years to turn cornerbacks into linebackers and linebackers into defensive tackles.

Right. But he did it and we did win a lot with him.

Yep - I don’t know enough to say the new guy is bad at his job, but S&C makes all the difference in the world.

One of my teammates played all four years at DT weighing no more than 230. The summer after the draft and when got a free agent contract with the Chargers He went to 265. In three months. 😂

We had these issues back when Spray was the coach, too. One could argue that they are more prevalent now but our injury problem has been going to for 6+ years. I've heard rumblings of Stock meddling in the S&C program so that could be the problem. That and we're undersized at every position.

We had these issues back when Spray was the coach, too. One could argue that they are more prevalent now but our injury problem has been going to for 6+ years. I've heard rumblings of Stock meddling in the S&C program so that could be the problem. That and we're undersized at every position.

Yes, I have heard the same thing. In season no heavy lifting and only certain lifts throughout the year.

Yes, I have heard the same thing. In season no heavy lifting and only certain lifts throughout the year.
It’s not uncommon for teams NOT to lift heavy during the season (for guys who are playing). Lifting heavy is usually done during winter conditioning when players are focused on weight gain and increased strength.

Guys who redshirt, however...

I still remember a ton of injuries with Spray here and remember lots of people complaining about Spray.

Our injuries in my opinion are a product of our culture and recruiting practices. Our injury problems have stayed consistent for many years with only 1 stable variable in place over those many years. Rick Stockstill as our head coach.

Reactions: MTTim
ADVERTISEMENT