ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Here you go again

It seems there has been a black cloud over this program for the past year and a half.

So that means no Scurry for 11 games or Dishman for the season. Obviously sucks for him more than us, but that is going to be tough.

it means the younger/newer guys are going to have to step up early with some quality play, which may pay some dividends later in the season, round tourney time.

IIRC we played last year for most of the season with only 8 scholarship players available. We are dangerously close to that # with three sitting out and now Dishman out. But, we have to hope that the replacements for those who left will be an upgrade. Don't know about Dishman; I personally wasn't sold on him as a huge contributor but I could be basing that solely on the dismal record the Colonels had during his last year in Richmond. I've never seen the young man on the court or on film. I don't doubt he could have provided needed depth. Gotta think the GoBlueRaiders release was just speculation when saying "was expected to start".

And remind me just why Scurry is sitting out 11 games. I try to keep up but with the coaching change and the player turnover it's hard to remember all the details on each roster member.

IIRC we played last year for most of the season with only 8 scholarship players available. We are dangerously close to that # with three sitting out and now Dishman out. But, we have to hope that the replacements for those who left will be an upgrade. Don't know about Dishman; I personally wasn't sold on him as a huge contributor but I could be basing that solely on the dismal record the Colonels had during his last year in Richmond. I've never seen the young man on the court or on film. I don't doubt he could have provided needed depth. Gotta think the GoBlueRaiders release was just speculation when saying "was expected to start".

And remind me just why Scurry is sitting out 11 games. I try to keep up but with the coaching change and the player turnover it's hard to remember all the details on each roster member.

Dishman was definitely going to be in the starting lineup at the outset of the season. Coaches liked his game and believe he creates matchup issues for opponents, and he can drive the ball from a face-up position.

Scurry is out for 11 games because he played 21 games in his junior season at Missouri State before the foot injury and the cryotherapy issues. The limit for a medical hardship is 10 games, so the NCAA essentially gave him a partial waiver on that rule to get another year of eligibility but is making him sit 11 games as a way of adjusting for the 11 games he played at Missouri State in excess of the hardship limit.

Dishman was definitely going to be in the starting lineup at the outset of the season. Coaches liked his game and believe he creates matchup issues for opponents, and he can drive the ball from a face-up position.

Scurry is out for 11 games because he played 21 games in his junior season at Missouri State before the foot injury and the cryotherapy issues. The limit for a medical hardship is 10 games, so the NCAA essentially gave him a partial waiver on that rule to get another year of eligibility but is making him sit 11 games as a way of adjusting for the 11 games he played at Missouri State in excess of the hardship limit.

Obviously you are much closer to the program than I am therefore if you say Dishman would have started I accept it. With both Dishman and Scurry out for opening game who would you pencil in at this time for the first-game starters?

And thanks for the clarification of Scurry's situation. I had either forgotten or it had slipped by me that the NCAA had mandated the sitting out 11 games for the waver to be granted.

I think this gives our other 2 Freshman post/forwards some PT. I really believe our 3 guards can provide the bulk of the scoring. Heck we may start 4 guards.

Reactions: crposton
Yea 4 guards is a possibility. Sims, Green, Jones, Crump/Johnson, and Jackson/Millner. Gonna suck for OOC schedule, but give Jackson, Millner, and Millin a lot more PT before conference play and getting Scurry back. I was thinking maybe a redshirt year for Millin, but not now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT