ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hawaii

I don't buy that shit that CUSA is the main influence in putting MTSU in Hawaii. My suspicion is 7wood had them put us there, and now the mouthpieces are just pointing their finger at CUSA.
I've been wondering about that and what are MT obligations (ticket allotment) vs other bowls' requirements. Knowing MT fans are not buying and celebrating bowls and contract extensions at the same time. Maybe the MT athletic powers are relieved to not be expected to sell thousands of bowl tickets to a destination.

Reactions: MarJac23

Clarence T. C. Ching Athletics Complex​

Clarence_T.C._Ching_Athletics_Complex.jpg

Sdsu is pumped for their team. Nobody on here was going anyway so might as well be happy for the team and wish them luck in the bowl game. Couple more weeks of practice and good for recruiting. Glass half full anyone.

Biggest concern is for the poor folks that have to stitch that Hawaiian themed tent for massaro to try and fit in. Hopefully they get it done in time for the game.

We win this game and it’s the third best season since moving to d1!

Reactions: Noogaraider1
I don't buy that shit that CUSA is the main influence in putting MTSU in Hawaii. My suspicion is 7wood had them put us there, and now the mouthpieces are just pointing their finger at CUSA.

It makes perfect sense we are in Hawaii. UTSA is not going going to Hawaii. Neither is UNT. That leaves UAB, WKU and us. We went to Bahamas last year, so we won’t go back to back. No one wants it, so there goes UAB. That leaves us and WKU. WKU has the head to head, Conference standings and 1 extra win in the preference picks. So if they say no and we say no, their no means more.

Plus, the game is on Christmas Eve, and is matched up for ratings against a full day of NFL football it’s a complete throw away game for ratings.

So ESPN needs to find the patsy CUSA school that willing to go to a bowl where most fans really can’t travel for a bowl that will have trash ratings anyway between us and WKU.

That leaves M&M standing there with their raised hands and floral Hawaiian shirts from last trip ready to go.

A throw away team from a throw away conference going to a throw away bowl no one cares about.

I’m glad to be going bowling but I was hoping for a place I could drive to. Hopefully Geodis Park will host a bowl game in the future.

I just looked at SDSU schedule. Nothing to brag about. Honestly, MT played a tougher schedule, I think. Winnable game.
Yeah, it's a winnable game, but when has that ever mattered with coach .500? He is 2-5 in his previous seven bowl games. It most likely depends on how 7 wood (or one of the other parasites) bets on the game.

Sorry, I don't know how to post a picture to show it but didn't take long for Massaro to break out the Hawaiian shirt. George Plaster had a celebrity and friends bowling event tonight. Almost everyone pictured was sporting their event tee-shirt. Not CM. He was sporting his personalized MT Hawaiian shirt.

Sorry, I don't know how to post a picture to show it but didn't take long for Massaro to break out the Hawaiian shirt. George Plaster had a celebrity and friends bowling event tonight. Almost everyone pictured was sporting their event tee-shirt. Not CM. He was sporting his personalized MT Hawaiian shirt.
Chip had a FB post with 30+ pictures. Would guess over 90% of the participants had on the yellow, event tee. You are spot on, CM had on his MT Hawaiian theme shirt.
I haven’t lived in The ‘Boro since ‘87, so was good to see pics of George Plaster, Rudy Kalis, & Hope Hines.

from Mike Organ's facebook page (over 50 photos of the local celebrities)

Last edited:
The reaction on this page is actually evident on how we have PROGRESSED as a program. Seriously.

I remember not too long ago wishing and hoping for a bowl invite in the SBC. Every bowl used to get a banner. Now, we complain because its not the bowl we want.

You guys need to wake up. As it was stated, win this game and we have our 3rd best year in 23 years. What I hate most about vols fans is they whine and complain about EVERYTHING. This is fun bowl, on a good date, and the players deserve it. Some people are absolutory BLINDED by their hate for Stock/M&M. I get that, but dont let it keep you from seeing the good. If you dont care about this team or school....why are you here?

The reaction on this page is actually evident on how we have PROGRESSED as a program. Seriously.

I remember not too long ago wishing and hoping for a bowl invite in the SBC. Every bowl used to get a banner. Now, we complain because its not the bowl we want.

You guys need to wake up. As it was stated, win this game and we have our 3rd best year in 23 years. What I hate most about vols fans is they whine and complain about EVERYTHING. This is fun bowl, on a good date, and the players deserve it. Some people are absolutory BLINDED by their hate for Stock/M&M. I get that, but dont let it keep you from seeing the good. If you dont care about this team or school....why are you here?
I've settled down overnight and just posted as much on Twitter. I'm beyond happy for the players and even to an extent the staff because I know they worked hard (some more than others but I digress).

Am I disappointed it is a bowl I don't get to go to, absolutely. Was looking forward to Myrtle or even driving down to a Bama bowl. But as said, could be a good year. Crazy that it is, but it is. If we win, it will be the first time ever back2back bowl wins. I can't state that enough how big that is. Talk about 3 losses after Miami, or beating teams with losing records...all valid. But we can do something we've never done and it wind up a good season. Improvement from last year.

We will all be watching while prepping for Santa so it absolutely could be worse. That top25 team we beat, they are staying home. My Mountaineers, staying home.

Let's win and keep building the program up along with the facilities. Stock is here. McPhee is here. Massaro is here. Am I happy about all three, no. But I am happy we got in a bowl period and it is one the players will enjoy.

I know passions are hot. And it's frustrating for fans who may have wanted to travel for the game. But as Lee pointed out on Twitter (and Chris Massaro has an excellent explanation in the DNJ article here), it really wasn't up to MT. It's an ESPN / conference decision.

If MT declined the invitation, there's no guarantee they'd get a shot elsewhere (this happened to LaTech a few years ago).

From an TV exposure standpoint, the Hawaii Bowl is a much better bowl. Myrtle Beach Bowl is on a Monday at 2:30. The Cure Bowl is on a Friday at 3:00. And the Bahamas Bowl is a Friday at 11:30. The Camellia Bowl is on a Tuesday at noon.

Meanwhile, the Hawaii Bowl is on a Saturday night. Lots of eyes. Lots of exposure.

Wanted to share some quick things I found last night :

MT is the only school (east of Mississippi River) to play the Hawaii Bowl 2x. It's the only school to play in the Bahamas Bowl 2x. Basically, if you come to MT, there's a good chance you'll be bowling in the islands at least once. Couple that with new facilities, that's a GREAT recruiting pitch for 2023 / 2024 / 2025 recruits.

I have my reservations about the overall direction of the program, but the opportunity to finish 8-6 and win back-to-back bowls creates momentum this program desperately needs. Plus, bowl prep is a GREAT opportunity to get some young guys additional reps (in some ways, it's like spring practice : 2-3 more weeks to practice, improve, and get reps for 2023).

I don't always agree with CM (and, fwiw, I don't expect he always agrees with me). Ya'll know that.

But let's be fair with our criticisms.

I just scanned the album & there were multiple people not wearing the yellow shirts. Probably a 60 / 40 (yellow shirt / another shirt) split at the event. Plus, as the AD, it's a great way to represent MT and remind the community about the upcoming bowl trip to Hawaii.

Reactions: Hop45
I know passions are hot. And it's frustrating for fans who may have wanted to travel for the game. But as Lee pointed out on Twitter (and Chris Massaro has an excellent explanation in the DNJ article here), it really wasn't up to MT. It's an ESPN / conference decision.

If MT declined the invitation, there's no guarantee they'd get a shot elsewhere (this happened to LaTech a few years ago).

From an TV exposure standpoint, the Hawaii Bowl is a much better bowl. Myrtle Beach Bowl is on a Monday at 2:30. The Cure Bowl is on a Friday at 3:00. And the Bahamas Bowl is a Friday at 11:30. The Camellia Bowl is on a Tuesday at noon.

Meanwhile, the Hawaii Bowl is on a Saturday night. Lots of eyes. Lots of exposure.

Wanted to share some quick things I found last night :

MT is the only school (east of Mississippi River) to play the Hawaii Bowl 2x. It's the only school to play in the Bahamas Bowl 2x. Basically, if you come to MT, there's a good chance you'll be bowling in the islands at least once. Couple that with new facilities, that's a GREAT recruiting pitch for 2023 / 2024 / 2025 recruits.

I have my reservations about the overall direction of the program, but the opportunity to finish 8-6 and win back-to-back bowls creates momentum this program desperately needs. Plus, bowl prep is a GREAT opportunity to get some young guys additional reps (in some ways, it's like spring practice : 2-3 more weeks to practice, improve, and get reps for 2023).
8-5 but otherwise spot on.

Reactions: AustinLewis

I agree with you for the most part.

CUSA has to fill the Bahamas Bowl and Hawai’i unless ESPN wants some other team.

None of the 5 bowl eligible CUSA schools really want to go to either. UAB and MT have less leverage than UTSA, UNT and WKU. We were not going back to back to Bahamas. I think ESPN wanted CUSA to fill its obligation with its least valuable teams this year in Bahamas and Hawai’i, that’s how you get us and UAB.

I disagree about exposure. The NFL moved most of their games to that Saturday. So our exposure will be much less. ESPN wanted a CUSA team to fill a bowl going against the NFL that was already going to have poor ratings.

All these bowls are ESPN properties except maybe 2 or 3. I know part of it is just inventory but if viewership matters at all, why allow the bowls to schedule at crazy times? I mean imagine a full week of prime time bowl games for 7 days. Talk about a real Capital One Bowl Week.

Last edited:
I agree with you for the most part.

CUSA has to fill the Bahamas Bowl and Hawai’i unless ESPN wants some other team.

None of the 5 bowl eligible CUSA schools really want to go to either. UAB and MT have less leverage than UTSA, UNT and WKU. We were not going back to back to Bahamas. I think ESPN wanted CUSA to fill its obligation with its least valuable teams this year in Bahamas and Hawai’i, that’s how you get us and UAB.

I disagree about exposure. The NFL moved most of their games to that Saturday. So our exposure will be much less. ESPN wanted a CUSA team to fill a bowl going against the NFL that was already going to have poor ratings.
WKU wasn't going to Hawaii, they had already played out there in the regular season.

I am not a fan of ESPN owning so many bowls. I miss the days of multiple bowls at same time and pre BCS days of college football. The controversy was great...

I tend to agree myself... To say a school has no to very little say is ludicrous.

Some of those comments aren't wrong.

I think they are or will be tearing down Aloha Stadium to replace it with a newer and smaller version. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Last I read funding was there to not just replace the stadium, but put in a whole entertainment district but it is stuck in the political traffic jam.

Great point re: NFL schedule.

FWIW, there's only one conflicting NFL game (Raiders vs Steelers) on NFL Network. The rest should be finished (or close to it) by the time MTSU kicks off against SDSU

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Great point re: NFL schedule.

FWIW, there's only one conflicting NFL game (Raiders vs Steelers) on NFL Network. The rest should be finished (or close to it) by the time MTSU kicks off against SDSU
Sorry folks, it's a crap bowl game for fans hoping to attend. I don't care what De Leon says, MT has to have some say in it.

I've not reached out to Lee because at 50 years old, I am sick of being sold the same crap product. Which is exactly like my wife & I quit donating and dropped season tickets. If MT will not reciprocate the same loyalty to the athletics department, then why should I or anyone else?

I'm gonna go glass half empty here. If this is truly our "3rd best year in 23 years" we have all the more reason to be pissed off and hate those clowns. If we've only had 2 years better than this, with no jobs being lost, that would explain the anger and empty seats. If we didn't care, we wouldn't be angry. In no way can this season be a sign of progress.

I'm gonna go glass half empty here. If this is truly our "3rd best year in 23 years" we have all the more reason to be pissed off and hate those clowns. If we've only had 2 years better than this, with no jobs being lost, that would explain the anger and empty seats. If we didn't care, we wouldn't be angry. In no way can this season be a sign of progress.
Well you can like the stats or not, but they are what they are. Progress usually isnt by leaps and bounds.

Do I want another 10 win season? Hell yea, but everything has to come in context. I also want SMM gone, but if you fail to see PROGRESS (depending on the bowl outcome) when it occurs, then you'll stay a cynic.

Well you can like the stats or not, but they are what they are. Progress usually isnt by leaps and bounds.

Do I want another 10 win season? Hell yea, but everything has to come in context. I also want SMM gone, but if you fail to see PROGRESS (depending on the bowl outcome) when it occurs, then you'll stay a cynic.
Like the stats or not? That reminds me of the three types of lies.

Well, we are 4th down on the list for bowl priorty. UAB grabbed Bahamas. The 3 better located bowls are what we are discussing. UTSA gets to pick I believe if they win the championship and UNT gets 2nd selection. Not many other choices left. UNT may go New Mex for location. WKU will get NO. What other bowls are there for us? Didn't we lose one due to members leaving?

Like the stats or not? That reminds me of the three types of lies.
There ain't crap we can do about our situation. I don't like it anymore than anyone else but we are better than we were in 2019-2020'. Again, it ain't great but better than a lot of other teams. I can't stand mASSaro or Stuck but I'm happy for the kids. They played well enough to earn the trip.

We won 7 which is better than 3 or 5. Ask FAU, CLT. LaTech or UTEP if they'd want a bowl spot right now. AGAIN, this does not mean that I like where the program is. This just means that I'm tired of bashing everything when I know in the end, it ain't changing. I'll bash Stuckstill as long as he's here. The kids..... Nah. They are playing as hard as they can.

Even winning this bowl is not going to propel this to our third best season. A 4-4 conference record and losing your like seventh straight against your rival disqualifies this from being top 3.

Obviously '09 is the best. Winning the east in 2018 was probably the second. 2012 is probably third even though the bookends of that season left a bad taste. We had a chance to win the league, beat two rivals that season (three if you count Troy), had a great P5 win and could have won nine games had we actually not gotten screwed out of bowl. Maybe even 10 if not for Stock's screw up against McNeese.

This year, not a single win against a team that finished with a winning record. This was not a good season even though they did what Stock usually does. Beat bad teams to get to .500ish.

Even winning this bowl is not going to propel this to our third best season. A 4-4 conference record and losing your like seventh straight against your rival disqualifies this from being top 3.

Obviously '09 is the best. Winning the east in 2018 was probably the second. 2012 is probably third even though the bookends of that season left a bad taste. We had a chance to win the league, beat two rivals that season (three if you count Troy), had a great P5 win and could have won nine games had we actually not gotten screwed out of bowl. Maybe even 10 if not for Stock's screw up against McNeese.

This year, not a single win against a team that finished with a winning record. This was not a good season even though they did what Stock usually does. Beat bad teams to get to .500ish.
We lost the NO Bowl in 2018, so how would that trump this year? Again, contingent on a bowl win.

Top 25 win (national attention), back to back bowl win....it would definitely be out our third best year. Maybe even our second. We didnt go to a bowl in 2012 when we went 8-4

Reactions: blueraiderJT
We lost the NO Bowl in 2018, so how would that trump this year? Again, contingent on a bowl win.

Top 25 win (national attention), back to back bowl win....it would definitely be out our third best year. Maybe even our second. We didnt go to a bowl in 2012 when we went 8-4
Why does bowl win trump all other factors? In '18, we went 7-1 in the league, won the East division and the only time we've beat Western in years. It's better in every way than this season. A bowl game is more or less an exhibition. It used to not even count in the stats.

And I'm sorry we didn't really beat a Top 25 team. We just happen to play them early before anyone knew Miami was awful.

Maybe I need to take a break from here. And not as some have stepped back due to mis-steps with the admin. I've said before I bleed Blue and will continue to support, give, and go to games.

Do I agree with things, no. Stock's record is awful...I know. I've got a whole spreadsheet on it. And McPhee has shown no clue that athletics can build a school up. Massaro, who knows if it is him making these awful contracts or if he is along for the ride with McPhee. How much of it is Smith? Who really knows. I do know they aren't going anywhere so I'm gonna make the best out of everything. Sugar coating PR spin or not. I'm not even happy about the bowl location. But it is a bowl.

I have and will gladly call out all three guys, and will big time if we lose the bowl. I'll also gladly say good job guys if we win, now Stock go hire freaking decent offensive line and linebackers coaches.

I can be upset, frustrated, etc and still support. It isn't an all or nothing choice for me, or for a lot of us.

Do I think we as a school can win 10 games every few years and avg 8 instead of 6, with champs thrown in every 4 or so, YES. Do I think it can happen with everyone who is in place now, NO. But that doesn't mean I can't still enjoy the season and bowl games with who IS in place NOW.

Maybe I need to take a break from here. And not as some have stepped back due to mis-steps with the admin. I've said before I bleed Blue and will continue to support, give, and go to games.

Do I agree with things, no. Stock's record is awful...I know. I've got a whole spreadsheet on it. And McPhee has shown no clue that athletics can build a school up. Massaro, who knows if it is him making these awful contracts or if he is along for the ride with McPhee. How much of it is Smith? Who really knows. I do know they aren't going anywhere so I'm gonna make the best out of everything. Sugar coating PR spin or not. I'm not even happy about the bowl location. But it is a bowl.

I have and will gladly call out all three guys, and will big time if we lose the bowl. I'll also gladly say good job guys if we win, now Stock go hire freaking decent offensive line and linebackers coaches.

I can be upset, frustrated, etc and still support. It isn't an all or nothing choice for me, or for a lot of us.

Do I think we as a school can win 10 games every few years and avg 8 instead of 6, with champs thrown in every 4 or so, YES. Do I think it can happen with everyone who is in place now, NO. But that doesn't mean I can't still enjoy the season and bowl games with who IS in place NOW.
Agreed. This place is becoming more toxic than Volnation.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT