ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Gulf Coast Showcase

after what 15 years? I not making an argument for McDevitt, but just stating that Kermit struggled for 10 years before hiring Monte, Greg then things changed. I still believe those 2 were the catalyst for the success.
He won 16 games in his first year here. CNM ain't won more than 18 total and it's year 3. No comparison. I do agree with you about Greg and Monte though. Greg should have gotten the job. Nothing will ever change my mind about that. We would be in a better place with him.

Looks like another big fat L incoming. To say this team is offensively challenged is an understatement. cNM couldn’t draw up an easy basket if the world depended on it. Such a sad state of affairs this program has become. ETSU winless, replacing all five starters and their coach, and still gonna beat this sorry excuse for a program.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
I’m done guys. I was hoping basketball would save us from football and at least be a decent team this year

Nope

worse than last year. Complete and total garbage. We cannot fire this pretender fast enough. I just can’t waste my time and energy anymore with this sorry excuse for a team
And program. We have got to be a laughing stock of CBB. Top 3 paid G5 coach and we will be lucky to break 300 RPI. Literally the worst money spent in D1 basketball. A complete and total embarrassment.

Y’all have fun

At least it's not the same as last year. Looks like this year, we won't even have a lead to blow in the second half.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
I'm trying to keep in mind "over reaction" Monday in reference to the 1st week of football. You know, the day when fans and sports media rave or rant about how they have the greatest or worst team in the league based upon their respective first win or loss.

I'm trying to remember that this is virtually a new roster that before tip off it was obvious it would take a little time to come together as a team in live minutes. Particularly for these first few games, I'm more interested in effort & fight etc., win or lose.

As disappointing as the first loss was yesterday, it was the way it unfolded at the end that added the sting. Sims messed up, but it was out of his character. So, I'm not looking to throw him under the bus over the matter. I imagine it is ripping him apart inside.

My mention of CNM coming unglued at that time of the critical turnover was something I was kind of actually glad to see. I'd sort of expect a coach to have a cow over such a crucial breakdown. He went ballistic, understandably so, and in a way I don't recall seeing last year.

Coming through the covid era of prep for a game, many teams are rough on the edges, and our opponent already had one game to settle in. That mattered and was obvious to the eye especially for the first 5-8 minutes of the game as evidenced by the early and many fouls.

Bottomline, the lack of effort and fight the last 2 years is what has driven me crazy. That was not the case in this first game. I at least thought that they were overall giving good effort even with some fight.
Well you have seen a massive lack of effort today. We can can only score 40. Zero rebounding effort. We look to be worse than last year. We do not play as a unit. We are not a team. It is truly said but this hoops program is headed to wrong direction. If we do not finish at 500 this year it will be time to move on.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
This certainly makes it harder for anyone who is willing to council patience beyond the first weekend of the season.

Have had a tough day early on, and fell asleep in the second half to awake to this kind of result. Trying to figure out if there's a D1/FBS athletics program that has had a more terrible combo of FB and MBB the last two years.

Reactions: Hop45
Just horrible again. Time for a coaching change. If this is what we were waiting for... please, let's get a refund

It has been a 1-2 punch that is for sure. Three years ago we were throttling FGCU during this time and now we can't even get things going with a supposed good team.

Personally, I think it is time to move on but Beavis and Butthead run the show.

This certainly makes it harder for anyone who is willing to council patience beyond the first weekend of the season.

Have had a tough day early on, and fell asleep in the second half to awake to this kind of result. Trying to figure out if there's a D1/FBS athletics program that has had a more terrible combo of FB and MBB the last two years.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Posters/readers who have been keeping up know that I'm a long-time MT men's BkB fan. Going back to Earle's days I don't think I've ever been as disheartened at any time in my hopes for the future of the program as I am today. Not in the Farrar era, not in the Weil era, and not early in Davis' tenure.

This two game start is beyond disappointing in McDevitt's third year. There appears to be (and I must admit I listened and didn't watch) so much that is concerning. I'll only give one concern I have that IMHO is so telling. Looking at the box score we have three transfer guards who got the most minutes today. Cumulatively these three (Davis, Jordan, and Schuler) scored 42.5 points during their last year at their previous schools yet today these players who were on the floor the most minutes scored together 11 pts. Which ever of these happens to be the leading scorer for any game among these three I would have expected that player to score more than 11 damn points. The transfers for ETSU didn't seem to have as much trouble finding the basket and did you see how well WKU's transfers are playing early (including a grad. transfer from nearby Lipscomb). Were these players that transferred to MT over-hyped or ???

The problem is not depth and if ratings and/or players' previous successes are to be believed the problem is not talent. You can use the excuse of no chemistry developed yet and that the coach hasn't figured out the rotation but these two excuses would equally apply to today's inexperienced opponent who just beat us by double digits. And they have been dealing with covid and limited practice just as we have.

The only thing that I see good for me at this time is that I accepted the one-year layoff in my season tickets with the stipulation that I could get my seats back during the '21-'22 year. Will I even want any tickets after this year?

Reactions: kingaling42
I like u got started during Earle days. This weekend very disappointing. Still time to get it together. Starting to have my doubts.

UTEP had a really bad stretch during the 17-18 and 18-19 seasons. They combined for 1-23 in football and 19-41 in basketball.

The current state of the two major men’s intercollegiate athletic programs at Middle Tennessee State University is a direct reflection of the lack of leadership of the President, his AD and the Board of Trustees that keeps them protected.
It is just plain unacceptable.

I'm around as usual and you can quit asking about me FR315, do you have someone in your life? If so, get off my nuts man...

... flummoxed is a great word. Unlike the first game I wasn't able to watch or listen to the game yesterday but from the look of the game flow/stats/play by play it appears the team quit down the stretch- I hope I'm wrong and hopefully someone who watched the game can talk intelligently about how the game ended so flat for MT.. but it certainly wasn't the response I expected after giving the Omaha game away.. and the turnovers were high and often..

Despite it being so early in the season I have a hard time figuring out why talented offensive players are suddenly unable to put the ball in the damn basket.. someone else mentioned that there's about a 30 point decrease from those guys in terms of production from their previous averages but I don't like the 2 game trend one bit.. think what you want but the first game there were lots of good looks- again I didn't see yesterday's game but the shooting was again dismal.. I expected one player to work his way into shooting the ball due to hand/finger injury a little while back as he's not 100% but the rest I have not a clue.. one game I could chalk up to rust, COVID, chemistry, bad shooting night, or a dull, quiet, empty arena.. 2 games straight no one stepped up and that's unacceptable going forward.. I'm looking for someone to be the man- be the guy that simply steps up to stop the bleeding when the other team goes on a run.. someone who puts the team on their back.. there's a huge need for that- so wondering when/if the alpha is going to emerge or is this yet another team full of Robin's with no Batman.. true alpha's/scorers should flourish in this offense as it is not an oppressive system for scoring..

When I see Sims still in the starting lineup it tells me the other guards haven't evolved as much as I would've expected.. no offense to Sims but he's not a starter on the team you all expect from all I've seen and with the end of last season I was honestly expecting him to be a limited role player this year- I like the guy, he seems like a good kid and I know he's worked on his strength/conditioning/body and worked hard as I understand in the off season- but he was a 160 lb junior that can't defend.. I expected him to come of the bench and play 6-8 minutes (maybe). I expect changes in the starting lineup personally but I'm not around the team to know if that's good/bad.. Shuler got more PT than Sims yesterday and some guys play better coming off the bench but if that's the case I need Shuler to start filling it up if he's in that sparkplug role.. King is supposedly a great offense player and maybe' he needs more PT but he's likely to show issues on the other side of the ball..

Did ETSU play packline defense yesterday? The 3 starting guards all took a bunch of 3's- did they settle for those or did the defense sag where they had to shoot and simply didn't make them? I dunno- perhaps instead of asking if I'm around FR315 you have some actual insight to the game or is it just time and opportunity to bash the coach you never liked to begin with?

So now that you got my response what kind of conversation would you like to have?

Reactions: BlueAlpha
So yall saw nothing good? Is the coach giving everyone a lot of playing time to see who the best players are? If so, i hope the coach communicates that to us. If not, then we really are screwed. It is so tough to be a Blue Raider right now. Apathy is starting to set in.

No one wins with 27:turnovers. It’s not like our guards r inexperienced. They all have plenty of d1 experience. Didn’t watch game kinda glad I didn’t. It had to be ugly. We’ve got to get our act together in a hurry

I'm around as usual and you can quit asking about me FR315, do you have someone in your life? If so, get off my nuts man...

... flummoxed is a great word. Unlike the first game I wasn't able to watch or listen to the game yesterday but from the look of the game flow/stats/play by play it appears the team quit down the stretch- I hope I'm wrong and hopefully someone who watched the game can talk intelligently about how the game ended so flat for MT.. but it certainly wasn't the response I expected after giving the Omaha game away.. and the turnovers were high and often..

Despite it being so early in the season I have a hard time figuring out why talented offensive players are suddenly unable to put the ball in the damn basket.. someone else mentioned that there's about a 30 point decrease from those guys in terms of production from their previous averages but I don't like the 2 game trend one bit.. think what you want but the first game there were lots of good looks- again I didn't see yesterday's game but the shooting was again dismal.. I expected one player to work his way into shooting the ball due to hand/finger injury a little while back as he's not 100% but the rest I have not a clue.. one game I could chalk up to rust, COVID, chemistry, bad shooting night, or a dull, quiet, empty arena.. 2 games straight no one stepped up and that's unacceptable going forward.. I'm looking for someone to be the man- be the guy that simply steps up to stop the bleeding when the other team goes on a run.. someone who puts the team on their back.. there's a huge need for that- so wondering when/if the alpha is going to emerge or is this yet another team full of Robin's with no Batman.. true alpha's/scorers should flourish in this offense as it is not an oppressive system for scoring..

When I see Sims still in the starting lineup it tells me the other guards haven't evolved as much as I would've expected.. no offense to Sims but he's not a starter on the team you all expect from all I've seen and with the end of last season I was honestly expecting him to be a limited role player this year- I like the guy, he seems like a good kid and I know he's worked on his strength/conditioning/body and worked hard as I understand in the off season- but he was a 160 lb junior that can't defend.. I expected him to come of the bench and play 6-8 minutes (maybe). I expect changes in the starting lineup personally but I'm not around the team to know if that's good/bad.. Shuler got more PT than Sims yesterday and some guys play better coming off the bench but if that's the case I need Shuler to start filling it up if he's in that sparkplug role.. King is supposedly a great offense player and maybe' he needs more PT but he's likely to show issues on the other side of the ball..

Did ETSU play packline defense yesterday? The 3 starting guards all took a bunch of 3's- did they settle for those or did the defense sag where they had to shoot and simply didn't make them? I dunno- perhaps instead of asking if I'm around FR315 you have some actual insight to the game or is it just time and opportunity to bash the coach you never liked to begin with?

So now that you got my response what kind of conversation would you like to have?
Given the start of this season and his last two, I’m not inclined to try and figure out what your buddy is doing. It’s pretty evident that whatever it is ain’t working.
At this point, I think most Blue Raider alums would like just a reasonable ray of hope that he knows what he’s doing.

Last edited:
Given the start of this season and his last two, I’m not inclined to try and figure out what your buddy is doing. It’s pretty evident that whatever it is ain’t working.
At this point, I think most Blue Raider alums would like just a reasonable ray of hope that he know what he’s doing.

You’ve got no other choice but to keep watching to see.. as we all do.. on that note did you actually watch either game? Do you know anything other than the stats and poor results?

My guess is you didn’t actually take the time or effort personally observe anything and if you’re not inclined to do so then that’s fine but if so keep my name out of your comments since you have nothing to contribute of substance.. you can b!tch and bash CNM without my involvement..

You’ve got no other choice but to keep watching to see.. as we all do.. on that note did you actually watch either game? Do you know anything other than the stats and poor results?

My guess is you didn’t actually take the time or effort personally observe anything and if you’re not inclined to do so then that’s fine but if so keep my name out of your comments since you have nothing to contribute of substance.. you can b!tch and bash CNM without my involvement..
Tell ya what, you are just a short timer here but you made your presence known as soon as your buddy from Asheville landed in Murfreesboro. For two years you have done nothing in here but fluff and defend a guy who has coached his way into the cellar of one of the worst basketball conferences in college basketball. When he’s finally run out of Murfreesboro, I have a feeling you won’t be posting here anymore. As for me, one of the degrees on my wall says Middle Tennessee State University. I’m not going anywhere. As for you, I was just teasing you but going forward, I’ll post and question anything I want as long as it meets the standards of the moderators.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiderclyde
Tell ya what, you are just a short timer here but you made your presence known as soon as your buddy from Asheville landed in Murfreesboro. For two years you have done nothing in here but fluff and defend a guy who has coached his way into the cellar of one of the worst basketball conferences in college basketball. When he’s finally run out of Murfreesboro, I have a feeling you won’t be posting here anymore. As for me, one of the degrees on my wall says Middle Tennessee State University. I’m not going anywhere. As for you, I was just teasing you but going forward, I’ll post and question anything I want as long as it meets the standards of the moderators.

Fluff? You’ve added no particularly helpful insights or observation to how the team plays or what they actually do.. you just b!tch about the results and the coach.. most fans have at least a modicum of knowledge about basketball and yet you’ve never shared anything of substance.. I wouldn’t use the word fluff unless it is in retrospect of your own posts..

I’ve broken down game plays, situations, have criticized CNM for early roster management, player rotations, and a specific loss last year in a late game situation where I talked about how a time out called probably cost MT the game.. don’t give me that fluff sh!t when you’ve not even come close to saying anything original here.. again you can bash anyone you want here without mentioning my name- but if you mention me at least have something to say that’s a new original thought or something to do with what you actually saw for yourself..

Finally taking a few minutes to offer my observations after watching the 2nd loss. I thought I'd post my observations before reading any other posts.

While there is clearly an upgrade in raw talent and size on the team, the level of performance was only marginally improved. Mostly, the team looked disjointed if not oftentimes lost. Generally, the perimeter defense has been better than last year, but that's really not saying much as last year defense was awful. So far, interior defense is awful. On the perimeter, the defensive improvement is in effort at trying to disrupt the ball. It's a handsy defense rather than a physical on-body defense. It's not great at this point, but at least it is a little improvement.

Coleman-Jones disappeared this game. In fairness, a lot of it was likely due to Tyson Jackson playing decently for quality minutes and staying on the floor. While in, Coleman-Jones was active but not necessarily executing.

Before I go further, the main matter and biggest development must be addressed. At the 7:50 mark in the 2nd half, the team quit. It was glaringly obvious. It was about the time ETSU scored and was fouled. As a team, MT didn't deal with it. They got down and gave up. Entirely unacceptable! It was the return of the same characteristics and tendencies as the last two years. To be clear, not every player quit. One or two remaining on the floor were still fighting and putting in the effort. As a team though, the majority quit. The score reflected this as ETSU built their lead in those remaining minutes.

I could go further into individual performances, but it is somewhat irrelevant if they are not fighting as a team. This is the troubling element of CNM's tenure here at MT. The first two seasons, he just hasn't instilled that culture of fighting with great effort. Bottomline, his teams here have lacked heart. The lack of heart, or fight, showed up late in the 2nd half. At least a couple of the players were still fighting.

Sadly, heart or an attitude of keeping up the fight won't likely change overnight. Heart & fight has to be instilled as a driving force of the culture from when the players first step onto campus. If this team is to have any real success and realize any of their potential, they will have find their heart.

For this team to succeed, CNM will have to learn, grow, and develop in how to instill that culture of heart & fight. There are a few guys on that team who have brought heart & fight with them and are demonstrating it on the floor. Dishman and Jalen Jordan come to mind as examples.

Interestingly, the streaming announcers noted at the end of the game that MT "got their heads down." The announcer noted that MT has some good looking players but added MT fans have to be concerned about the team getting their head down. It seemed obvious he was seeing the same thing.

Now I read other posts:

Kingaling42, you were right. That was the team quitting with 7:50 left in the game. They still had a chance to win up to that point despite playing woeful offense.

AD Massaro would run a great hospitality department with his hires. His coaches seem friendly and like great guys, but unfortunately he is running a sports department that must compete with toughness, fight, discipline, and a degree of nastiness.

Boots wasn't a basketball guy, but he recognized a tough minded coach who was about discipline and fight.

Fluff? You’ve added no particularly helpful insights or observation to how the team plays or what they actually do.. you just b!tch about the results and the coach.. most fans have at least a modicum of knowledge about basketball and yet you’ve never shared anything of substance.. I wouldn’t use the word fluff unless it is in retrospect of your own posts..

I’ve broken down game plays, situations, have criticized CNM for early roster management, player rotations, and a specific loss last year in a late game situation where I talked about how a time out called probably cost MT the game.. don’t give me that fluff sh!t when you’ve not even come close to saying anything original here.. again you can bash anyone you want here without mentioning my name- but if you mention me at least have something to say that’s a new original thought or something to do with what you actually saw for yourself..
For starters, it would be nice to keep Murray State’s win under 30 this week but I doubt it will happen based on current trends. As for how much I bring to the conversation? I was a season ticket holder long before you floated in here. And I’ll gladly re-up my season tickets for MT Men’s Basketball when they once again trigger my interest and support based on wins/losses and 1st Round upsets of NCAA blue bloods.
Your stats, game analysis and “basketball acumen” doesn’t impress me.
As a former boss once told me, “you can wrap it up......even put a bow on it, but at the end of the day, a bag of sh*t is still a bag of sh*t.”

Last edited:
So its year 3 of the New Guy and still losing to teams in crappy conferences? (yes including CUSA). I think he got a 5 year deal so still got the rest of this year and next year before he can be gone, and thats at the earliest.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
It’s a total shame! All we did with this guy is put the program further away from success. When a team quits like our team did against ETSU we are breading mediocrity instead of winning.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I'm a little surprised at the lack of playing time for Elias King...7 minutes in the first 2 games.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of playing time for Elias King... 7 minutes in the first 2 games.
It's not unusual to see new players struggle early in the season.

During Kermit's first few years, his teams would typically struggle in out-of-conference games and then catch fire in January. I'm looking for that to happen with this team.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
ADVERTISEMENT