ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS GSRs are out

Have we even take one academic at risk player since all the APR mess under mccullom? You would think if there was player out there worth the attempt we could do it. We just don't seem to any risks and therefore there's little reward, while our conference mates can and do and reap the rewards. Sometimes I think we are trying to out 'academic' our competition so that ol Sid can stick out his chest at CUSA Presidents' meetings.

As much as I want a winning team this is something to be proud of.

It is. Extremely proud of. We are an academic institution number one. And you can grow on that. But athletics, successful athletics, help that institution grow even more. I truly don’t think our admin understands that. You can have both. You don’t have to choose one or the other.

Have we even take one academic at risk player since all the APR mess under mccullom? You would think if there was player out there worth the attempt we could do it. We just don't seem to any risks and therefore there's little reward, while our conference mates can and do and reap the rewards. Sometimes I think we are trying to out 'academic' our competition so that ol Sid can stick out his chest at CUSA Presidents' meetings.
Rick has certainly taken players who have had risky characters (Dasher) so it wouldn't surprise me if guys who are academic risks are admitted to MT as regular students and are allowed to join the football team once they get passing grades.

Very appreciative and thankful for players, support staff, and coaches who made MT’s high marks possible. We are an academic institution of higher learning first and foremost. It is more important to create success in life’s journey than a W&L record in a given year. Kudos on the NCAA recognition!

However, at some point, our leadership needs to translate this into more championships on the field, court, and diamond and also greater with opportunities in academics at graduate and professional levels. We have further goals to achieve to get national credibility we desperately need.

Aren't a lot of these guys getting a University Studies Degree? Wasn't that started to help with the APR and GSR. What is University Studies?

If this was all about academics, we wouldn’t be paying coaches these ridiculous salaries under the banner of education. It’s bullshit.

If I were a student, I would protest these outrageous fees that continue this nonsense.

When you have enough credit hours (130 or something close I think) but not enough hours in a specific discipline, you can get a University Studies degree.

It’s also called “Interdisciplinary Studies” degree track. My personal opinion is that it is a bogus degree manufactured by Univ. Presidents to get around the APR. Just Google search for the numerous articles that have been written about former “student” athletes who were steered into this degree track who can’t even get a job interview. It’s pretty sad.

Reactions: mtfblue
It’s also called “Interdisciplinary Studies” degree track. My personal opinion is that it is a bogus degree manufactured by Univ. Presidents to get around the APR. Just Google search for the numerous articles that have been written about former “student” athletes who were steered into this degree track who can’t even get a job interview. It’s pretty sad.

That's what I thought it was created for.

ADVERTISEMENT