ADVERTISEMENT

Grammer and Stockstill fighting for starting spot

This should be a good one.

Grammar started the year and looked like one of the better QB's that we've had in a while.

Then, I guess as teams started to get some film, the passing game became more inconsistent. At the beginning of the year, we were attacking teams vertically, but towards the end where we struggled, we came to rely almost exclusively on the running game and passing almost only when we needed to convert a 3rd down.

Was it injuries and guys wearing down? Were teams catching up with us? Who knows, but the offense changed from the first 6 games to the last 6.

I like some mobility and guys that can scramble and pick up that 3rd and 4 when you need it, but if you can't challenge the defense past 10 yards from the LOS, then you're offense will eventually stall out on most drives.

Yep, going to be interesting. I was shocked at how poorly we played offensively the last few games. And our competition wasn't as tough.

Hard to tell, if AG just lost his edge or if it was a combination of teams playing us differently. Sometimes I think we stubbornly tried to run the ball. At the end of the year, AG didn't scramble or run as well.

AG is more than serviceable as QB as long as the other 10 players do their jobs. But if he loses his ability to scramble we become very one-dimensional.

I just hope one of them rises to the top and plays well.

I would say his shoulder injury was more than most thought and it hindered him both throwing and taking a hit running.

Just speculation on my part.

As stated, should be fun to watch the competition. It also sounds like our "O" line will be much improved.

I'm a boy of summer looking for fall!!!

Go Raiders Go

D-winns

Travesty Ederly was ran off. Can't wait to see what he does elsewhere.

AG only plays well when the rest of our team is already dominating the game for him. Things have to be made easy for him, or he crumbles. That's not a good QB. (Spare me your predictable replies of every QB needing a good offensive line, captain obvious. Problem is AG needs perfect OLine play or he folds)

Teams saw this as the year went on and started attacking us at the line of scrimmage, playing everything short, forcing AG to make a play downfield....and he rarely could.

AG struggled against teams that had good db's. They knew the ball would be a tick slower so that would give them more time to get to the ball or break the pass up to a receiver. Things really changed after the Marshall game. Teams studied that film knew what to do with their db's. Our wr's didn't block well either. I think that is why the wr coach is gone. Just my opinion.

We shortened our screen patterns after that game as well. His strength is the fade which he rarely threw last year. I put my money on Stockstill starting at least half of the games next year.

ADVERTISEMENT