ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL ***GoMiddle Special: Is the risk worth the reward?***

I see fall sports as highly unlikely. The virus is only going to get worse. This fall and winter will be a dark time for this country. Covid will be raging and we will be dealing with yearly influenza cases as well. It's going to be a nightmare. As someone who worked in an ICU for 4 years, the fall and winter months were by far our most busy and almost always full. Spring and summer were always easy peasy, with the unit never being full. We are lucky covid started hitting hard when it did. If it continues to worsen and fall/winter sets in...it's going to get ugly.

Hopefully we get a vaccine available to the masses shortly after the new year. This isn't going away until we do.

Reactions: Tyler Pellom
I see fall sports as highly unlikely. The virus is only going to get worse. This fall and winter will be a dark time for this country. Covid will be raging and we will be dealing with yearly influenza cases as well. It's going to be a nightmare. As someone who worked in an ICU for 4 years, the fall and winter months were by far our most busy and almost always full. Spring and summer were always easy peasy, with the unit never being full. We are lucky covid started hitting hard when it did. If it continues to worsen and fall/winter sets in...it's going to get ugly.

Hopefully we get a vaccine available to the masses shortly after the new year. This isn't going away until we do.
I said it in the article, but I truly feel all the optimism goes out the window as soon as the student body gets back on these college campuses.

Cases are up. Deaths are down. No where near where they were in April.

I like the spirit of the article but I don't agree with your conclusions. At this point, I don't care. If industries want to self destruct, so be it.

2020-07-27-cases.png

2020-07-27-deaths.png

Last edited:
Cases are up. Deaths are down. No where near where they were in April.

I like the spirit of the article but I don't agree with your conclusions. At this point, I don't care. If industries want to self destruct, so be it.

2020-07-27-cases.png

2020-07-27-deaths.png

We do know how to treat and manage this disease much better now, especially in the hospital setting. As long as hospitals are not overwhelmed, we should continue to do well with the death rate. But there's so much more to this disease than simply looking at deaths.

We do know how to treat and manage this disease much better now, especially in the hospital setting. As long as hospitals are not overwhelmed, we should continue to do well with the death rate. But there's so much more to this disease than simply looking at deaths.
What baffles me are all the weird symptoms and the many ways it affects different people. What makes someone have a light fever and loss of taste or smell, and someone else unable to breathe and skin lesions? I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but this shit seems like a synthetic bug created in a Chinese lab to identify and tactically infect.

Last edited:
It's not about death. This crap will make you feel like you wanna die. If a player gets it, they are down. They are pretty much done for a while and have to quarentine after that. The injured list will spike and devastate the season anyway. I just don't see it happening.

My son's roommate had it. He was back at practice before my son, since my son had to quarantine for 14 days and was negative on both test. Once the kid tested negative he was cleared to practice after 10 days. Out of 103 kids only 2 tested positive.

Deaths lag cases by a few weeks to a month. Many who die do so some six or seven weeks after contracting it. I believe healthcare is better at treating it now and there is more equipment all of which helps; however, death rates are largely down because we shut down and there is likely to be a significant spike in deaths in the weeks ahead. We are only a few days out from when we spiked to over 75,000 cases in a single day.

Because it doesn’t live on surfaces too long. Also lots of reports I’ve read say it’s quite a bit more difficult to get it from surfaces, more likely to spread via actual transmission directly from one person to another like a sneeze or cough.

Sure would be nice if the media would promote ways to help us improve immunity or stay healthy. Diet, exercise, vitamin D, etc. but they have their agenda in selling the hysteria.

And as a public service announcement- if you are wearing a mask, thank you for that, but at least put it over your damn nose. Don’t half ass it. The quicker we control this thing the quicker we all see MT football.

Doesn’t require cough or sneeze. Just talking is enough to produce droplets to transmit. I’m so disappointed with my fellow mankind. The level of selfishness, arrogance, and some cases just pure stupidity of Americans through this is demoralizing.

The other problem with it is not to talk about as much. It can scar your lungs and thicken your blood. This has means living with an oxygen machine and/or an increase in strokes and heart attacks.

The other problem with it is not to talk about as much. It can scar your lungs and thicken your blood. This has means living with an oxygen machine and/or an increase in strokes and heart attacks.
my other school’s message board has a thread asking if you know someone personally that had it and what was the outcome. 37 posts at this time and I counted over 20+ deaths, 40+ asymptomatic cases and a wide range in between. Such an odd virus, so many don’t know they caught it and for others, the long-term recovery is going to be difficult.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
We should see a decrease in influenza and the common cold if people are practicing what is being prescribed as preventative measures: social distancing, masks, thorough washing of hands and surfaces.

If that number is still the same this flu season then I don't know what number to believe.

If we don't play ball, things are going to shudder. People are going to be out of work and opportunity is going to halt and may never come back. What about the long game?

Fyi, even if it is not totally reliable, The American Red Cross is offering free antibody testing for donors. I haven't had a sense of smell for months so I am curious.

Last edited:
We should see a decrease in influenza and the common cold if people are practicing what is being prescribed as preventative measures: social distancing, masks, thorough washing of hands and surfaces.

If that number is still the same this flu season then I don't know what number to believe.

If we don't play ball, things are going to shudder. People are going to be out of work and opportunity is going to halt and may never come back. What about the long game?

Fyi, even if it is not totally reliable, The American Red Cross is offering free antibody testing for donors. I haven't had a sense of smell for months so I am curious.

That’s what’s happening in the Southern Hemisphere, but it won’t here because Americans are already over with it. Social distancing and mask wearing is too much inconvenience for Merica. Therefore we will get the full wrath of COVID in the fall/winter for the first time in addition to influenza.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaiderDawg78
That’s what’s happening in the Southern Hemisphere, but it won’t here because Americans are already over with it. Social distancing and mask wearing is too much inconvenience for Merica. Therefore we will get the full wrath of COVID in the fall/winter for the first time in addition to influenza.
God, I hope not. :(

Apparently you haven’t noticed what’s happening in MLB. Or what’s been happening recently in Florida during the hottest months of the year in one of the hottest and most humid states.

There are a number of factors that go into answering your question but what I’ve watched play out through all this and what I suspect is the truth is you really don’t want to hear or know what those answers are.

Football season should have already been cancelled at least collegiate anyway.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
It’s going to be a mess. Team report to camp and then camp is suspended. Some games will be played and others cancelled. With no real leadership, I feel like it’s just gonna be a train wreck.

ADVERTISEMENT