ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Give me your score predictions for FAU

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
The staff will give their score predictions and their reasoning.

I'll go ahead and give you my score prediction

MTSU 31
FAU 30

Lines up to 11.5 where I book - it was quickly bet up from 9.

I just don't see it here for the Blue Raiders. Our front 7 will be run on early and often, and our corners won't be able to match up with the FAU passing game. We do not have FBS caliber talent at the corner position in my opinion. It's often masked because our safeties are so good but Kiffin will exploit it this week.

This defense simply gives up too many yards and FAU will not gift us turnovers like Marshall did.

On offense, we will have some success but we've never exactly lit up the scoreboard down in Boca and to realistically win this game we will probably need 40 points. That ain't happening.

This game has the potential to get ugly, especially with Kiffin on the other side likely wanting some revenge.

I'll go with a conservative 11 point game but don't be surprised if it ends up 20+

FAU 35
MT 24

Last edited:
I don't get why everyone is so impressed with FAU? What have they done so far this season? They were blown out by Ohio State and UCF and then beat a 1AA school, Charlotte and Ball State. We may lose to them Saturday but they would have the same record as us of they played our schedule and we would have the same as them if we played theirs.

I don't get why everyone is so impressed with FAU? What have they done so far this season? They were blown out by Ohio State and UCF and then beat a 1AA school, Charlotte and Ball State. We may lose to them Saturday but they would have the same record as us of they played our schedule and we would have the same as them if we played theirs.

I think it will be hard to win but this isn't the 2017 FAU team we will be playing

I'm actually not that impressed by FAU.

It's more my belief that our team still has some fatal flaws that will continue to be exposed. We gave up almost 600 yards of offense to Marshall. We were very fortunate that their QB kept turning it over and was very inconsistent on his passes. The Marshall coaching staff also made one bad decision after another. Marshall beat themselves. Badly.

FAU will not make those mistakes. If we have any chance of victory against FAU, we will have to go down there and win the game because FAU isn't going to beat themselves like Marshall did. And with that being said, I just don't see our defense stopping them nor do I see our offense scoring enough points to keep up. Like I said, we'll need around 40 points to beat FAU. When have we ever lit up the scoreboard down in Boca?

It's not impossible, but we will have to play our best game of the season BY FAR to win on Saturday. No turnovers, no special teams mistakes, get off the field on 3rd down, get FAU offense behind the chains, chew up first downs....the whole nine yards. Team hasn't played like that all year but they're more than welcome to prove me wrong on Saturday.

Reactions: MT Glenn
I'm not completely sold on FAU but we have troubles at their place, even when they're supposed to be bad. Turnovers helped us against Marshall however I don't think we can count on that happening on the road. I still like our defense, but I think our offense won't do them any favors, resulting in the D eventually running out of gas.

FAU 31
MT 17

Reactions: Blue_H
I am predicting a loss.

Really don’t care after the Iowa thrashing. If this is all we play for is best for this crap conference then why did we move from 1-aa?

Retire Rick.

Then what are we playing for? Good grief, I can't for the life of me understand this mentality. Play like you want to win every f'ing game. Not just coast in, get your check and leave. Sick of this mentality and expectation. I expected more when I was a huge proponent in the late 90s of our move...

If all we do is lay over for big games, why don't we just schedule 4 1-AA schools? It's ok. Everyone knows we are FBS in name only and competing with CUSA is our ceiling. Look no further than the stands on homecoming.

Beating Iowa or Duke would not have meant we are playing for something more.

FAU has the best offense in the conference. Their D has holes in it. It will solely depend on creativity and execution on our part to get through this one. We haven't been sharp on any of those 2 aspects lately. I also do think their D will pick up our signals. FAU to cover. Really hope I'm wrong.

FAU 38
MT 24

Then what are we playing for? Good grief, I can't for the life of me understand this mentality. Play like you want to win every f'ing game. Not just coast in, get your check and leave. Sick of this mentality and expectation. I expected more when I was a huge proponent in the late 90s of our move...

If all we do is lay over for big games, why don't we just schedule 4 1-AA schools? It's ok. Everyone knows we are FBS in name only and competing with CUSA is our ceiling. Look no further than the stands on homecoming.
How did my comment say not to play to win every game? It is not my mentality it is reality. If we were undefeated right now we would be playing for a CUSA championship and nothing more. I expect to win every game, but you act like the current environment of college football allows us to compete for more than a CUSA championship and an overall meaningless bowl game. Not saying how things should be. I am saying how things are. No reason to exclude half of the FBS teams from having a shot at the playoff, but that is what the system has done.

How did my comment say not to play to win every game? It is not my mentality it is reality. If we were undefeated right now we would be playing for a CUSA championship and nothing more. I expect to win every game, but you act like the current environment of college football allows us to compete for more than a CUSA championship and an overall meaningless bowl game. Not saying how things should be. I am saying how things are. No reason to exclude half of the FBS teams from having a shot at the playoff, but that is what the system has done.

Bingo...UCF getting snubbed a couple years ago proved to me the most we can ever move the needle in football is win the CUSA championship and play in the Liberty Bowl against a 6-6 SEC team and win. Just how the system is built right now.

Reactions: Blue_H
Bingo...UCF getting snubbed a couple years ago proved to me the most we can ever move the needle in football is win the CUSA championship and play in the Liberty Bowl against a 6-6 SEC team and win. Just how the system is built right now.
Hell, Rick can't even manage a winning bowl record (2-6)

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Someone did mention the Coaching/Athletic Departments calling this a bowl game. That does not bode well. They are so damn tone deaf.

After 20 years of 1-A/FBS/P5s and G5’s. or whatever it may be called in the future one thing is for certain: Conferences such as the Sun Belt, C-USA, Mountain West, (the old) WAC do not have a Frosty the Snowman’s chance in Boca Raton to be in a National Championship Game. Fifty years ago in 1969 there was a team called Toledo that won 35 in a row I believe and didn’t lose until 1972. And, the best Toledo Rockets got was a #7 ranking and a Tangerine Bowl Date (yes, same bowl that MT went to a decade earlier). I’ve always viewed this as the deck stacked against smaller and limited means programs...it hasn’t changed in late 2019.

Are we really any better now than we were a half-century ago? College Football is 150 years old this year, and I submit it appears more of the same then as it is now, if one wants to compete for a National Championship goal in mind and not be FCS/1-AA. It’s still not accessible and program relevance is still just as elusive even with the window dressings. Sure, there are 39 Bowl games with 78 teams enjoying a postseason game; how many people remember who won the New Mexico Bowl three years ago, or remember our Bahamas Bowl at random—its a pretty small population of fans who had relatives, or traveled in person, or perhaps hosted a watch party somewhere, and not much more. As years go by, I wonder about how valuable our 1-A decision was and what engagement it really got us in the Murfreesboro community? Our AM/FM radio footprint is smaller now than in the OVC, but streaming helps; however, it is certainly not what I expected when comparing CFA games of the week or what our college football competitors on West End Avenue currently enjoy. I think Boise State, UCF, Marshall, Cincinnati, and now Memphis have clearly surpassed or out achieved us if one judges the entire 20 year period and our record, bowl wins, or cachet. Our motto is “we compete” instead of “we play for conference championships” and that is a rather sad commentary of Blue Raider football at 20 in the “big boy” leagues. And, leadership is far too passive for us to enjoy success at a high level that we need to be: it takes a whole lot more than what fans have received.

This may be a very unpopular opinion, but as long as it stays this way I think it would be better to drop down and compete for FCS National Championships. Of course that is assuming we would compete at that level. I am not so sure, but I think NDSU and James Madison get more respect for winning the FCS than the CUSA champion does.

That’s exactly why I hate the playoff system as is.

EDIT

Had another paragraph but I’m not gonna start they argument now.

MT 31
FAU 28

Last minute field goal to win.

Last edited:
I'm not completely sold on FAU but we have troubles at their place, even when they're supposed to be bad. Turnovers helped us against Marshall however I don't think we can count on that happening on the road. I still like our defense, but I think our offense won't do them any favors, resulting in the D eventually running out of gas.

FAU 31
MT 17

I second this score. As usual in these instances, I hope I'm wrong.

Well this game isn't going like I expected it at all. Offense is about what I expected but the defense is playing much better than anticipated. Gotta keep it up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT