ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Give me your 5 biggest wins in history of MT football..

Going with FBS only games...

1. New Orleans Bowl Win - USM
2. First Vandy win in 2001
3. Beating Maryland on the last second FG in the 2009 season
4. Camilia Bowl win - ASU
5. GT win - not that we were that good, but it was beat down.

Reactions: cipman2000
Not really in terms of "value" but personal enjoyment:

1) Ga Tech. I do business in Atl constantly and this one comes up regularly.
2) Vandy 01. West side elitism. Simple.
3) Troy. 2012. FINALLY
4) ASU bowl game...FINALLLLLYYY
5) 2013 Memphis game. 17-15 at home, blackout game. This was a great memory.

New Orleans Bowl
GA Tech
Vandy 01
‘07 vs Memphis (first game of the series set a tone)
Syracuse

Honorable mention: 2000 v La Tech.

New Orleans Bowl - First bowl win is always huge.

Vandy '05 - I remember this game was pretty hyped. This was before Vandy got good at football, and they had Cutler and some pretty decent expectations, and we ripped out their heart.

Honestly, the rest are pretty quickly forgotten considering that we've done very little with them. It's not like you can say that X win was the big win that propelled us to something historic. Usually, we follow up a big win with an equally big loss, negating any step forward.

1. Vanderbilt 2005 - Probably because I was there, we were 16.5 point dogs, we were 0-4 and they were 4-0. They had Cutler, we had Marks. There was a lot of hype about the QB duel leading up to the year, especially over the summer (Died down after we started 0-4). I actually remember a radio announcer saying he would take Marks over Cutler to start a pro team that summer prior to the year beginning. We led wire-to-wire I believe. Vanderbilt then beat Tennessee that year, but was still 1 win short of being able to go bowling. HaHaHa

2. Virginia circa 2008ish - We won that game. Dasher got the first down, no questions asked, should have been over. Worst spot I've seen in college officiating. He was a full yard past the marker, I had the perfect angle. If only we had replay then. We could have gone for it on 4th and inches and sealed the game still, but of course we punted it away and lost on a last second field goal. Classic Stockstill.

3. Georgia Tech - Kilgore, Anthony Amos, and Cunninghan just went wild that game. Our defense obviously played well too. We just physically dominated them. A 100% total, physical beat-down. I don't think I've ever seen a Rick Stockstill led team administer that caliber of a physical beating since then.

4. Maryland on the road, with Dasher, the comeback, yada. Great game, great victory. Beating them twice was so sweet.

5. Beating WKU on the road when they were a sizeable favorite and Jordan Parker ran wild on them. That was another very physical game where we imposed our will. Is that the last time we've beaten WKU? I think it might be. Sad.

The Marshall upset at home as 10 point dogs winning on the last play of the game deserves honorable mention.

1. Vanderbilt 2005 - Probably because I was there, we were 16.5 point dogs, we were 0-4 and they were 4-0. They had Cutler, we had Marks. There was a lot of hype about the QB duel leading up to the year, especially over the summer (Died down after we started 0-4). I actually remember a radio announcer saying he would take Marks over Cutler to start a pro team that summer prior to the year beginning. We led wire-to-wire I believe. Vanderbilt then beat Tennessee that year, but was still 1 win short of being able to go bowling. HaHaHa

2. Virginia circa 2008ish - We won that game. Dasher got the first down, no questions asked, should have been over. Worst spot I've seen in college officiating. He was a full yard past the marker, I had the perfect angle. If only we had replay then. We could have gone for it on 4th and inches and sealed the game still, but of course we punted it away and lost on a last second field goal. Classic Stockstill.

3. Georgia Tech - Kilgore, Anthony Amos, and Cunninghan just went wild that game. Our defense obviously played well too. We just physically dominated them. A 100% total, physical beat-down. I don't think I've ever seen a Rick Stockstill led team administer that caliber of a physical beating since then.

4. Maryland on the road, with Dasher, the comeback, yada. Great game, great victory. Beating them twice was so sweet.

5. Beating WKU on the road when they were a sizeable favorite and Jordan Parker ran wild on them. That was another very physical game where we imposed our will. Is that the last time we've beaten WKU? I think it might be. Sad.

The Marshall upset at home as 10 point dogs winning on the last play of the game deserves honorable mention.

Reactions: C-Bow
1. Missouri, Oct ‘16. Where my late parents lived from ‘78-‘17 and my ‘Sis is an alum. Finally beat an SEC team not named Vandy. People forget in ‘13 & ‘14 Mizzou played in the SEC Championship game. And, we hung 51 points on them to boot.
2. @ GA Tech. We have lived in ATL since ‘91, ‘nuff said.
3-5. All inter-changeable, depending upon my mood & time of day.
First win at Maryland.
Last year’s win at Syracuse.
NOLA Bowl, ‘09. Nothing special about beating S MS, but was our first ever bowl win. And, a great 4 nite trip listening to live music & drinking Big A— Beers on Bourbon Street.
Honorable mention, both close losses early in our transition to big-time football. Giving some semblance of hope that maybe, just maybe, we could compete with programs who had a 75 year head start on a bigger stage.
41-40 loss to Missouri, missed extra point.
35-31 loss to ‘Bama at Legion Field. Think Andrico threw an interception late that wiped out a last quarter drive of pulling an upset. Pretty sure Dennis Francione was their HC. Both games during the Andy Mac era.

Reactions: cipman2000
1. Missouri, Oct ‘16. Where my late parents lived from ‘78-‘17 and my ‘Sis is an alum. Finally beat an SEC team not named Vandy. People forget in ‘13 & ‘14 Mizzou played in the SEC Championship game. And, we hung 51 points on them to boot.
First win at Maryland.
NOLA Bowl, ‘09. Nothing special about beating S MS, but was our first ever bowl win. And, a great 4 nite trip listening to live music & drinking Big A— Beers on Bourbon Street.
Honorable mention, both close losses early in our transition to big-time football. Giving some semblance of hope that maybe, just maybe, we could compete with programs who had a 75 year head start on a bigger stage.
35-31 loss to ‘Bama at Legion Field. Think Andrico threw an interception late that wiped out a last quarter drive of pulling an upset. Pretty sure Dennis Francione was their HC. Both games during the Andy Mac era.

Ga Tech. I believe they went to a bowl game that year.

Maryland. Both times but especially the year that they went bowling.

Syracuse. A great team that most respect.

Mizzou. A solid team and a good win.

Vanderbilt all three times.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
First win at Maryland.

Love all those games... The Mizzou game on the missed extra point hurt! I remember raking leaves in my front yard listening on the radio..

1. GT - 2012 - That is the best I ever saw us play in person. We just destroyed them in their house.
2. Maryland 2008 - They were a good team and won their bowl game that year. Big Win!
3. Syracuse - 2017 - Great road win and that same team beat #1 Clemson a few weeks later
4. Vandy 2005 - They were undefeated with the best QB they ever had. No bowl because of us!
5. Mizzou 2016 - On the road vs. the SEC? Yeah.

Honorable mentions...

Vandy 2001, 2002
USM - New Orleans Bowl
ASU - Camelia Bowl
2000 - La Tech
2016 - La Tech
2013 - Marshall
2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Memphis

Near misses that almost happened that would have been great wins...

2002 Bama - bad ref call
2007 Louisville - ping pong game and ran out of steam vs. the no. 8 team in the nation.
2007 UVA - great team and we were 1 yard from winning it. Instead we punted and lost.
2008 UK - 1 yard short
2010 Minnesota - No Dasher and Beyah fumbled with 2 minutes remaining.
2011 Purdue - Gmae up TD at the end and had our FG blocked
2015 Illinois - Missed FG
2015 Vandy - Had it won and let it go.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
1. GT - 2012 - That is the best I ever saw us play in person. We just destroyed them in their house.
2. Maryland 2008 - They were a good team and won their bowl game that year. Big Win!
3. Syracuse - 2017 - Great road win and that same team beat #1 Clemson a few weeks later
4. Vandy 2005 - They were undefeated with the best QB they ever had. No bowl because of us!
5. Mizzou 2016 - On the road vs. the SEC? Yeah.

Honorable mentions...

Vandy 2001, 2002
USM - New Orleans Bowl
ASU - Camelia Bowl
2000 - La Tech
2016 - La Tech
2013 - Marshall
2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Memphis

Near misses that almost happened that would have been great wins...

2002 Bama - bad ref call
2007 Louisville - ping pong game and ran out of steam vs. the no. 8 team in the nation.
2007 UVA - great team and we were 1 yard from winning it. Instead we punted and lost.
2008 UK - 1 yard short
2010 Minnesota - No Dasher and Beyah fumbled with 2 minutes remaining.
2011 Purdue - Gmae up TD at the end and had our FG blocked
2015 Illinois - Missed FG
2015 Vandy - Had it won and let it go.

All of those honorable mentions were great games. Imagine where the program would be if we had won all of ‘em.. That KY game was a lot of fun to watch!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT