ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Giddy Potts wants to make a name for himself with Raptors

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
article on the pay site Athletic.com (you may be able to view the article as a part of their free trial )

Giddy Potts wants to make a name for himself with Raptors

excerpt:

...Through four games, Potts is averaging 10 points in just 15 minutes. Most notably, he’s continued to show off his trademark shooting touch, hitting 11-of-21 on threes. Over four college seasons, Potts hit 41.7 per cent on a large volume of three-point attempts, and his range extends to the NBA line with ease. He also offers physicality at the point guard position, bulldozing his way into the paint with his 6-foot-2, 220-pound fullback frame, and he’s defended better than advertised early on, even recording a chase-down block on Monday.

“I think Giddy Potts has been a real sort of standout for us in the course of the Summer League,” says Raptors 905 head coach Jama Mahlalela. “Giddy’s awesome. Basketball first, Giddy’s ability to punch through gaps, his ability to make decisions in there, and then more importantly, his ability to take big shots and make big shots is something you need as a professional basketball player. We’ve really been impressed with him organizationally in terms of what he can offer us. Defensively, he can use his body, he’s gotta find his spacing and his gaps, he’s got some sort of college tendencies we’ve gotta get him to work through, but there’s an intrigue with him with what he really delivers to the game. And in terms of now his energy, his impact, his sort of bounce, his presence, really good.”

There’s work to be done still, which isn’t new to Potts. Even with a strong stint in Vegas, he’s probably more of a consideration for Raptors 905 than the NBA parent club. He would seem a likely candidate for an Exhibit 10 deal, where he could get additional experience in training camp with the Raptors before joining the 905 with a $50,000 bonus to supplement the G League salary. An excursion year overseas before trying to crack the league through Summer League again is also on the table, with Potts keeping his mind open to the best long-term career path for him....

Realizing that MT has had quite a few BkBallers who recently have made a nice living playing the game (and have been exposed to a cultural education most can only dream about) but to the casual observer it you "ain't in the NBA" it doesn't count and used as just another reason to consider MT irrelevant.
I'm always frustrated when I see a player from a %$&-major who is playing a significant role on an NBA squad, especially if from a school we compete against (TSU, Belmont, Murray, etc.) while we haven't had, IIRC, a player in 25+ years to make a team even for short stay. I really thought Dendy had a good chance but like Williams and Upshaw nothing yet. As for King: way to short for his skill set IMHO. Potts might have a chance but, again IMHO, he needed a college offense to set him up and is limited in his ability to "create".
Hard to watch Robert Covington playing such a significant role for the 76ers after he was dominated in the games he played against MT while at TSU. Gotta give props to Davis and staff for what they did at MT with, so far, no players destined for the "next level".

Hopefully Mcdevitt brings in the type of players you're talking about. I never though Kermit was a good recruiter, but he definitely did well with what he had.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
The fact that McDevitt couldn’t keep Potts speaks volumes.

Not sure we are gonna win 15 games next year.

Reactions: C-Bow
ADVERTISEMENT