ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL G5 teams could have fewer chances vs. P5 after realignment

It'll be one G5 team, if we are lucky. At this point I almost say just pull away and do our own thing. Have our own division and champion. Sure it's possible with one G5, but you are looking at 1 of 60 possible teams making it vs 1 of 16 if you are in a P5 conference with a guaranteed bid.

I'd lay money this will change realignment. If it winds up being one G5, watch MWC schools making calls to P12 and AAC schools calling everyone else.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
At this point it's all about the $$$$. G5 team will never play for a national title so it doesn't matter how they decide who makes the playoff.

We just need to make sure we continue to get that $60 million yearly. That's a big, big chunk of revenue for lower level conferences like CUSA. Life would be very difficult without it.

It'll be one G5 team, if we are lucky…

Looking at the history of the CFP rankings, In 8 previous years, only 5 non-P5 schools would have made the 12 team playoff. UCF and Cincinnati account for 4 of those 5 and both are heading to the B12.

So of the true G5 teams that are not already in the “in crowd”, only Coastal Carolina in 2020-2021 would have snuck in as a 12 seed.

Looking at the history of the CFP rankings, In 8 previous years, only 5 non-P5 schools would have made the 12 team playoff. UCF and Cincinnati account for 4 of those 5 and both are heading to the B12.

So of the true G5 teams that are not already in the “in crowd”, only Coastal Carolina in 2020-2021 would have snuck in as a 12 seed.

And so much is perception too. Cincy getting whipped in the playoffs didn't help. Sadly, Wiley is right. The G5 schools will probably get more $ being the bottom of the big boy barrel instead of doing their own thing.

The more this goes on, the more I love relegation and how soccer does it.

We can't even beat rising FCS teams. We have no business playing P5 teams in our current state. Would be happy to eat crow after this weekend. Prove me wrong Raiders!!!

This is why as some said above, the G5 won't split off. It would be nice if they would but I get the reasons they won't. That $ figure is unreal.

yea, that could easily push conference payouts up about 2 to 5 million per team more for the G5

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Has anyone looked at the new proposal for G5? Does that 6th champ have to be ranked (like it is now, right?), or is it just the highest ranked G5 champ even if they aren't in the top25?

It's the 6 highest ranked conf champs, and then 6 at large

Well let me throw a theoretical out there.

SEC, ACC, B1G, B12 Champs are all ranked in top 10.

Oregon wins P12 (10 or whatever it will be) at 9-4 and is ranked say 16th with two losses to ranked teams.

UTSA wins the AAC at 11-2 and is ranked 15th with wins over two P5s, one ranked say 20th.

App State wins SBC at 11-2 and is ranked 14th
with a win over UTSA for example.

So, in that scenario, no guaranteed bid for the P12? Hope for an at large. Interesting. Yes rare stars align etc etc. But still.

Well let me throw a theoretical out there.

SEC, ACC, B1G, B12 Champs are all ranked in top 10.

Oregon wins P12 (10 or whatever it will be) at 9-4 and is ranked say 16th with two losses to ranked teams.

UTSA wins the AAC at 11-2 and is ranked 15th with wins over two P5s, one ranked say 20th.

App State wins SBC at 11-2 and is ranked 14th
with a win over UTSA for example.

So, in that scenario, no guaranteed bid for the P12? Hope for an at large. Interesting. Yes rare stars align etc etc. But still.
Nope...Pac 12 is left out.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT