ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS FWIW from the BoR school in North Nashville

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Not sports related but TSU and Meharry have reached an agreement apparently similar to MT's agreement with the medical school. While no doubt we need more physicians MT has lost it exclusivity for this program in the mid-state.

And sports related - If you haven't been paying attention to the Nashville news outlets previous TSU BkB player and current NBA regular Robert Covington has donated $1 million toward the construction of a BkB practice facility on the TSU campus. I remember when Covington was projected as a future pro and, IIRC, on a trip to The Murph Dendy and Co. shut him down to around 10 pts. and handily won the game. Still wish with all the success Davis had at the end of his tenure we had sent at least one player to the NBA.

Thls donation does bring up the question: Has any MT athlete ever given back a million to the school; especially so soon after being a Blue Raider?

I think Dewon made a sizable donation to the baseball stadium...honestly, unless I'm just blanking on another player, the only alum we have that could do that is Byard. Richie James is still on his rookie deal.

I think Dewon made a sizable donation to the baseball stadium...honestly, unless I'm just blanking on another player, the only alum we have that could do that is Byard. Richie James is still on his rookie deal.

Walden made some good cheese in the league (over $20M). But yeah, something sizable would only come from KB at this point. Richie might make some good dough in time. Shanahan is a fool for under utilizing him so much.

Reactions: Hop45
Charvarius Ward may make some money in the NFL as well. Other than Byard we have really only had 3 other players have long enough careers in the NFL to make enough money to make an impact. One is Walden who was previously mentioned and the other two are Kelly Holcomb (approx. $14 million career earnings) and Benny Cunningham (approx. $6 million). We need some more Byards to be able to count on getting any sizable money from alumni in pro sports.

Charvarius Ward may make some money in the NFL as well. Other than Byard we have really only had 3 other players have long enough careers in the NFL to make enough money to make an impact. One is Walden who was previously mentioned and the other two are Kelly Holcomb (approx. $14 million career earnings) and Benny Cunningham (approx. $6 million). We need some more Byards to be able to count on getting any sizable money from alumni in pro sports.

What about Mike Caldwell, Don and James Griffin?

It's not like they don't see the dumpster fire. Didn't walden have to tell Stock he was being drafted by the Cowboys? No relationship and no connection to where they feel they need to donate.

What about Mike Caldwell, Don and James Griffin?
They had long careers, but salaries were not what they are today. Griffins played majority of their careers in the 80's and the average salary was $198,000 in 1986. Caldwell could have made more money, but I can't find his salary history. I don't think he made enough to make a sizable donation right now.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
It's not like they don't see the dumpster fire. Didn't walden have to tell Stock he was being drafted by the Cowboys? No relationship and no connection to where they feel they need to donate.
I remember on the TV broadcast player intros, Walden would say his high school instead of Middle Tennessee. I'm not criticizing him at all. But that doesn't exactly scream school pride and big money donations.

Reactions: C-Bow and mtfblue
Charvarius Ward may make some money in the NFL as well..

Good call I forgot to mention Ward. He’s having a bit of a down year but that hand/wrist injury messed with him more than most think. I think he’s poised to land a good second contract though.

ADVERTISEMENT