ADVERTISEMENT

Free Agency in CFB?

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

"In the end, the only things missing from The Decision: EverettGolson-style were Jim Gray and ESPN. But it's one thing waiting for the world's greatest professional basketball player, LeBron James, to pick his new team and another waiting for a college quarterback to decide where he'll transfer for one year of football.

It is different, isn't it?

If you don't know, Golson left Notre Dame, shopped himself around to different schools and announced Tuesday he'll play this fall for Florida State, per Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman"

I see bleacher report is trying to make something out of nothing again.

First of all, I don't think this even had a fraction of hype of "the decision". A few tweets doesn't make an ESPN hype special.

Next, how is this about only football? This is actually the most academically oriented rule in college football - actually encouraging players to graduate in 4 years to keep another year of eligibility.

Last, how many players does this really affect? Maybe 2 high profile guys a year? Maybe?

You have to have not redshirted, then you have to have actually graduated in 4 years with a year of eligibility left (how many regular students do this, not to mention football players), and then you have to have a player who's not happy with his situation (usually lost his job to another player anyway), and then you have to have a team willing to take the guy.

Just off the top, I can only think of Russell Wilson, Golson, and maybe a few scrubs here and there that I can even remember this applying to.

More Belcher Report garbage.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
It doesn't bother me one bit.
1) As RaiderDoug mentioned, it encourages athletes to graduate
2) Institutions, thanks to the NCAA, weld too much leverage over athletes. Coaches can move from school to school with little punishment, but athletes (who often come to schools because of coach or staff) are forced to sit out a year (or go down a level) if they transfer? Doesn't seem right.
3) It affects only a handful of players. Oregon got a QB from Southern Oregon (IIRC), FSU got Golson, Wisconsin got Wilson a few years back, and Ole Miss enjoyed Masoli for a year.
This is just a journalist's attempt to stir the pot during the doldrums of the CFB offseason.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT