ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Franklin

"The union of TF and Brent Stockstill should have been a marriage made in heaven . . ."

Might have been if Coach Stock and staff were as adroit at recruiting as we hoped for when Stock was hired. I began to question the reputation as a good recruiter when I was first around the man and have seen nothing to change my opinion. He may be good as a closer for a "Power" program once the prospect is on campus and he may have been good with players parents at one time but IMHO he is too reserved, shy, and unsure of himself to have ever been a good recruiter (and apparently doesn't know how to surround himself with those who can).
As has been said before if Stock was a good recruiter he would have moved heaven and earth to surround his son with players who could make him, along with Tony Franklin, more successful.

You think Stock and Massaro are proud of where the program is? I truly think they are and they think it’s all of us with the problem.

Jokes on them as no one cares anymore.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
Hi playcalling was predictable as hell. All an opposing team had to do was buy his system. LOL. In the last 2 years, teams knew what he was gonna do before he did it. He made zero adjustments. Look at the 2018 UAB championship game. He called the same plays as he did the week before. Like no difference. You think UAB didn't notice it? Their D was prepared and we just did the same crap.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Anyone heard the whereabouts of Joe Craddock?

Been talking to some former players about that possibility. I’m not so sold Joe wants the job. He’s one more failed OC job away from being a position coach for life. Would you want to take that chance at MT? Right now? Pure conjecture here but I’m of the belief it’s gotta be the RIGHT job for him to leap back into it, not necessarily a job at MT.

Been talking to some former players about that possibility. I’m not so sold Joe wants the job. He’s one more failed OC job away from being a position coach for life. Would you want to take that chance at MT? Right now? Pure conjecture here but I’m of the belief it’s gotta be the RIGHT job for him to leap back into it, not necessarily a job at MT.
I don't belive Joe would want to work for CRS.

Craddock would take that job in a heartbeat.

Agreed.
Craddock is making $100,000/yr at UAB. TF was over $300,000. We could offer him double his current salary and give him a promotion to come back to MT for a HC I’m sure he loves. I can’t see him turning that down.

If I was in Stock’s position, I would off Kodi Burns the OC job. He was our WR coach before and was Auburn’s OC. I would offer him $250,000 and then offer Gus Malzahn an analyst position for $50,000-$75,000. Butch Jones made $35,000 as an analyst for Bama. (For comparison, TF made $330,000 this past season). Gus was a great OC and I think their focus on offense would be an improvement. Sure Gus would leave in a year or 2, but if successful, we could role Gus’s analyst money into raises for Kodi. If we paid Kodi 266,000 it would be the SAME he made at AU.

I think it’s a win if you got Kodi & Gus compared to TF.

Agreed.
Craddock is making $100,000/yr at UAB. TF was over $300,000. We could offer him double his current salary and give him a promotion to come back to MT for a HC I’m sure he loves. I can’t see him turning that down.

If I was in Stock’s position, I would off Kodi Burns the OC job. He was our WR coach before and was Auburn’s OC. I would offer him $250,000 and then offer Gus Malzahn an analyst position for $50,000-$75,000. Butch Jones made $35,000 as an analyst for Bama. (For comparison, TF made $330,000 this past season). Gus was a great OC and I think their focus on offense would be an improvement. Sure Gus would leave in a year or 2, but if successful, we could role Gus’s analyst money into raises for Kodi. If we paid Kodi 266,000 it would be the SAME he made at AU.

I think it’s a win if you got Kodi & Gus compared to TF.
I get the idea, but Butch taking $35k to work for Saban was a "rehab assignment." It was a strategic choice to prepare himself for another opportunity.

Can't say giving Malzahn the "analyst" tag at MT would be a strategic choice...unless he was tagged head coach-in-waiting.

FWIW, I could see Stock leveraging a "I'm retiring in a year and will name a OC the head coach-in-waiting" to land a bigger fish.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
I get the idea, but Butch taking $35k to work for Saban was a "rehab assignment." It was a strategic choice to prepare himself for another opportunity.

Can't say giving Malzahn the "analyst" tag at MT would be a strategic choice...unless he was tagged head coach-in-waiting.

FWIW, I could see Stock leveraging a "I'm retiring in a year and will name a OC the head coach-in-waiting" to land a bigger fish.
I just don't think he's that bright. Plus Malzahn has buyout money coming to him. He will be an analyst next season.

...President Sidney A. McPhee directed the university's assistant vice president for human resources, Kathy Musselman, to examine the team's adherence to protocols after Tony Franklin, who resigned Jan. 1 as the team's offensive coordinator, made known his concerns about the team's measures to protect athletes from the coronavirus.

"I met with Coach Franklin, who shared with me his concerns about Head Coach Rick Stockstill's commitment to our COVID-19 protocols," McPhee said. "I take any such concerns very seriously and, as such, I immediately directed Assistant Vice President Musselman to conduct a review apart from Athletics of the football program's compliance to our safety requirements. " .....

Reactions: NUTZ4UMTSU
Something like in “In Stockstill we Trust” Charge 30 bucks and send all the profit to the Braa for a fund to not be used unless for Stockstill contract buyout purposes. Shoot we could make a new one every year.

Reactions: C-Bow
If one thing is true about TF ibesides the fact that he is completely off his rocker, it's that most things that idiot says is refutable. That pic CBow put up though. LOL!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: C-Bow
Classic guy that relied on his past accomplishments to think he didn't have to work or re-invent himself that his resume equated to wins. I was excited to see him come back, but in my mind was a huge disappointment. He even recently described the position as "Easy" which means he probably didn't work hard at all.

Same gameplan, no matter the opponent. Same playbook for 5 years, which was the playbook he had 7-8 years ago at Cal. Blah Blah Blah. Ready to see someone that is hungry and motivated to improve.

Classic guy that relied on his past accomplishments to think he didn't have to work or re-invent himself that his resume equated to wins. I was excited to see him come back, but in my mind was a huge disappointment. He even recently described the position as "Easy" which means he probably didn't work hard at all.

Same gameplan, no matter the opponent. Same playbook for 5 years, which was the playbook he had 7-8 years ago at Cal. Blah Blah Blah. Ready to see someone that is hungry and motivated to improve.

Those are good points. Just makes you look back at the success Brent had. Tony said he knew the system better than anyone. Makes me wonder how much Brent was adapting and really being the OC himself.

We had (and still have) a staff that is basically fireproof, whether by contractual agreements handed out by the AD or buddy buddy deals with the Head Coach. What a sick operation. It’s a miracle this bunch was able to win a single game the past two years. Yet, the AD continues to claim that all is well.

Reactions: MTTim
One of my all-time favorite movies. First time to see it was with my teammates on Friday movie night before playing Ole Miss on the road in Jackson, MS in ‘78. Good times.

Last edited:
Reactions: BRaiderDave

more an article about utk new coach, nonetheless, franklin is discussed in the article:

...Tony Franklin's has spent his career fighting back. The long-time assistant was essentially blackballed from college football after writing a book in 2001 following his departure from Kentucky. "Fourth Down and Life To Go" was a tell-all regarding the inner workings of the Wildcats program.

It was five years before he worked in college football again.

"I felt like, if I didn't get back in, I would have let the bullies win," Franklin said. "My father taught me when I was a little boy … 'If you ever let a bully bully you, he'll do it the rest of your life. You've got to punch him in the nose.'"

Franklin eventually came back and emerged as Auburn's offensive coordinator. As Louisiana Tech's offensive coordinator in 2012, the Bulldogs averaged 51.5 points. Only two teams since then have averaged 50 points. In 2015, Franklin was Cal's OC during Jared Goff's season in which he set Pac-12 records for yards and touchdowns passing.

Franklin resigned at Middle Tennessee State in December after clashing with coach Rick Stockstill and administration regarding COVID-19 protocols.

"The bullies can usually set the things up where they can win but you don't quit," Franklin said.

He gave up his job and perhaps financial security rather be part of a program that, he said, was cavalier about COVID-19. Franklin continues with his longtime offensive coaching service, TF 365. He claims to have over 400 clients. But at age 63, this might be for him on college football sidelines.....

• Haha
Reactions: blueraiderJT
My question is how has Franklin managed to have bad experiences everywhere he's been but it's always been the other guy's fault? Never his. He's never taken any responsibilities for his shortcomings. The other guy is the bully. The other guy is evil and mean. The other guy is always doing shady stuff. He's an angel though. Come on.

ADVERTISEMENT