SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Part 1 of a three part series from the Evansville Courier

REMEMBERING THE ACES: 1977-78 season brought optimism, then tragedy

636481850283359124-1997PURPLE-ACES015.jpg

On December 13, 1977, the University of Evansville men's basketball team, coaches/staff, and fans, boarded a chartered DC-3 plane for a game in Nashville, TN against Middle Tennessee State University the next day. Ninety seconds after take-off the plane crashed, killing 29, including the basketball team, head coach, 3 student managers, athletic business manager, UE comptroller, sports information director, a popular radio announcer, and 2 fans.

I was the MT bb manager waiting on them for their practice when members of the training room staff saw it on tv and came to tell me... It was an odd feeling then and still is. When they returned to Murphy Center several years ago, their coach allowed me to be there as they entered for practice. I got to meet and greet players, coaches, and managers.... It was very moving for me....

I was 6 at the time, but if I remember correctly there was a blue-white scrimmage the scheduled night of the game. In my mind I remember the general sadness.

Maybe someone else can confirm if this was true.

I was 6 at the time, but if I remember correctly there was a blue-white scrimmage the scheduled night of the game. In my mind I remember the general sadness.

Maybe someone else can confirm if this was true.
I don't recall a Blue/White game... I do, however, recall a ceremony of some type (in remembrance)...

ADVERTISEMENT