ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL FIU Recap

Overall impressed with the team. I was halfway thinking they would get destroyed both games when I heard they didnt have Dontrell, Jayce, or Jared (and just generally considering they didn't play for 3 weeks).

This defense is really starting to do some impressive things statistically on the mid-major scale. If they can get their offense consistently playing the way they did today in the first half or the Murray State second half, they'll be able to compete against anyone in C-USA.

Last edited:
I was happy to see a little bit of King in action. Was that an indication of a light going on or just that the bench was thinner for a game than it has been?

I was happy to see a little bit of King in action. Was that an indication of a light going on or just that the bench was thinner for a game than it has been?

First thought would be the short bench- would he play over some other guys at this point? Not my first thought.. Shuler would have taken some minutes away from several guys alone.. I think King will find his way but at this point there’s just other guys that play more consistently on both ends of the court

Agree with @kingaling42. It is clear at this point that McDevitt has established a defensive emphasis on this team. My guess is King probably would play more if that wasn't the case but the weakest link breaks the chain, and as long as plays like this happen he's gonna have a tough time seeing the floor.
View attachment Elias King Defense.mov

No doubt perimeter defense is much improved this year. Don't know if credit should be given to players, scheme, or a combination. Interior defense was much improved for the second game this weekend but we really do need a interior stopper. Hopefully one of the three bigs will embrace that role (most probably will have to be Coleman-Jones when he comes off of quarentine - Fussell isn't ready and Jackson is having a horrendous soph slump). Biggest defensive problem I saw Sat. was not closing on perimeter shooters while under control allowing easy blow-bys.

With the back-to-back schedule we're going to see over the season which coaching staffs can make the best adjustments and which teams have the discipline to put the scout into the game for the 2nd game. So far - so good for McDevitt, staff, and squad. Next up see how we do on Sat as compared to Fri. on a road trip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT