ADVERTISEMENT

FIU Extends Mike MacIntyre

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
Good for FIU and CUSA

“The football team's NCAA Academic Progress Rate (APR) score for the spring was an impressive 992 with MacIntyre at the helm, season ticket sales nearly doubled, and single-game ticket sales improved 40 percent. Student attendance at FIU football games was at its highest in over a decade with an opening-game student crowd of over 4,000.”

MacIntyre is a solid coach based on what he was able to accomplish at San Jose State and, even though he was fired, he took Colorado to the P12 title game - both are crazy tough places to win at.

I think he'll do well at FIU.

I get their rationale....to an extent. Those are great accomplishments, and as mentioned, he's done ok elsewhere. Still has only coached two winning seasons in 10 as a HC.

Feels to me they are trying to make up for the fiasco that was them firing Cristobal.

He had one 10-win season at San Jose State and one at Colorado. His other seasons have been below 500.

Both of those are really tough places to win. San Jose averaged 4 wins per year for the decade before he got there. Colorado hadn't had a winning season since 2005 prior to MacIntyre's 2016. They averaged 2 wins per season since joining the P12 prior to that.

I'm not saying he's Saban, but I tip my cap to a couple of nice seasons and jobs well done at some very challenging places. Relative to the competition, it should be easier to win at FIU than at Colorado where they're overmatched by most of the P12 or at SJSU which has no real foundation.

...it should be easier to win at FIU than at Colorado where they're overmatched by most of the P12
It should be easy to win at FIU, but I believe Butch Davis' statement about the administration sabotaging the football program is still true today and likely applies to many perpetually mediocre football programs, including the Blue Raiders.

Administration not allowing coaches to go on recruiting trips even post covid?? If true Davis' claims of administrative sabotage could have validation. Makes one wonder if there were personal issues between Davis & the president or athletic director

Administration not allowing coaches to go on recruiting trips even post covid?? If true Davis' claims of administrative sabotage could have validation. Makes one wonder if there were personal issues between Davis & the president or athletic director

Hmmmm.....I wonder if those same tactics could be applied, um, elsewhere?

Which is kinda crazy. Idk what kind of indoor facilities they have but their stadium isn't horrendous by any stretch. And they are in incredibly fertile recruiting ground in a warm climate city. There certainly are worse places to go.
They have nicer facilities than we do that is for sure. Their field house is nothing special but way nicer than ours.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
It should be easy to win at FIU, but I believe Butch Davis' statement about the administration sabotaging the football program is still true today and likely applies to many perpetually mediocre football programs, including the Blue Raiders.

I don't have direct evidence to support the claim of sabotage at MT for me to up and run with it, but I don't dismiss the idea either. Frankly, the circumstantial evidence sort of leads me to sometimes speculate that just maybe McPhee was put in place by the powers that be in the State to put MT back into it's place. Again, I can only speculate at this point. Sometimes in years past you hear the rumblings from not only Knoxville for the obvious reasons, but other midstate schools that were being overshadowed by the incredible growth of MT were not happy with that development. I'm not making factual claims because I just don't know the first hand details, but I do think it is something to ponder.

What is happening with football is subterfuge. From the coach to the facilities. It’s intentional. Sydney’s name is on my diploma and that was a lifetime ago. The whole thing stinks.

Anyhow, I thought FIU was on its way around 2010 when they crushed the pizza bowl in Detroit. Boy was I wrong. I was confident that they would be shooting for the sky like USF or UCF at that time.

• Angry
Reactions: MTLynn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT