ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL First MTSU football game you attended...

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Lots of free time being quarantined.

What was the first game you attended? Opponent? Score?

October 2, 1971

at home against ut-chattanooga

MT won 23-13 and IIRC, I wondered at the time why utc was in university division vs MT in college division, I believe that's how the divisions were identified back in the day.

Great Question. When did my fandom start?.
Not sure this was my first game but this game got me hooked after moving here having never heard of a Middle TN. State University
2001 vs Idaho. MT won 70-58
Wild game, up and down the field. Several fist of cuffs and a couple of ejections. Converted this ole Sooner fan and now I’m True Blue
Haven’t missed many since.

Reactions: MTLynn
Great Question. When did my fandom start?.
Not sure this was my first game but this game got me hooked after moving here having never heard of a Middle TN. State University
2001 vs Idaho. MT won 70-58
Wild game, up and down the field. Several fist of cuffs and a couple of ejections. Converted this ole Sooner fan and now I’m True Blue
Haven’t missed many since.
That is the game that sticks out to me as well. It was not my first game, but it was one of the first ones I attended. Great game. I believe I remember MTSU having a big lead at the half and a lot of people leaving. They missed a heck of a 2nd half.

Reactions: MTLynn and MarJac23
I have followed MT sports since the early 1980's (my junior high math teacher was Stan Simpson's wife) but never attended any MT sporting events until the fall of 1988. I don't remember the first game.

I'm associating with a group of newbies (LOL).

My first MTSC game was the annual turkey day game against TTU (TPI at the time?) on Thanksgiving Day, November 23, 1961. I hadn't been to a game before (I was part of the suitcase brigade my freshman year) but that game pitted two undefeated (in conference) teams for the OVC crown and was the talk of campus. I returned to The Boro to sit in the bleachers in the end zone in pouring rain to watch MT lose 6 to 7 when, if my memory serves, a last minute 2 pt. conversion failed in the end zone in front of my location.

The MT QB was All-OVC 1st team Terry Baily who married a HC Queen (didn't all QBs at the time do so?) from Columbia where he went after graduation becoming FB coach at Columbia Central for several years.

As an aside: I really didn't become a true MT fan until a roommate encouraged me to go see Willie Brown and Art Polk's freshman team play BkB. Getting to the AMG a half-hour before the freshman game (usually played a freshman game before the varsity - freshmen were not eligible for varsity) became necessary to get my favorite seat. The freshmen had beaten the varsity in a pre-season game and IMHO the integration of MT athletics was when the modern era of MT BkB began and when I became a fan of all sports at MT with men's BkB always primary.

My earliest MT Football memory: would have been a home game against Murray State while Ben Hurt being coach. Helmets had MT block letters and the State of Tennessee emblem. I remember Mike Robinson being on this team and my folks knew his parents at church to watch. Thinking 1977, was a small school age child and fire hydrants on Tennessee Boulevard were painted in red, white, and blue (could possibly’76). Several other football games were listened to with Monte Hale Sr broadcasting over 96.3 WMTS on our living room stereo (he owned the station, and studio was at 915 Northwest Broad Street, across from Hardee’s). Remember we lost a close game against Murray, but don’t recall score offhand.

Reactions: MTLynn and MTTim
2005 North Texas. We lost a low scoring game.

It was an “ouch” game! Lost 7-14 to the Mean Green. If there were ever a game lost on a single play, this was it. Interception returned all the way back for a touchdown 99 yards. Pick 6. Instead of 14-0, it became 7-7 and North Texas scored to make the margin. Made us 0-5 all time against the Mean Green to that point and allowed them to continue their consecutive streak against Sun Belt foes (reached 26 from 2001-5).

1979 MT vs. Tenn.Tech. A real defensive battle. Brown Sanford was our QB.

Yes it was and remember going to game fairly well. The Tech-Middle games were special to me growing up. That game was from the “Boot ‘em” season: Boots first season. At one time, had a MT Bumper Sticker that had the silver helmet logo from 1979. I was still elementary school age. Think we were winless going into that game, we might have had a tie on our record that season. Also, seems like I remember seeing the WNGE-2 sports crew covering the game with their television van parked under the stadium.

Yes it was and remember going to game fairly well. The Tech-Middle games were special to me growing up. That game was from the “Boot ‘em” season: Boots first season. At one time, had a MT Bumper Sticker that had the silver helmet logo from 1979. I was still elementary school age. Think we were winless going into that game, we might have had a tie on our record that season. Also, seems like I remember seeing the WNGE-2 sports crew covering the game with their television van parked under the stadium.

The win over tech put MT at 1-9 in Boots first year. My first year as a season ticket holder...

2005 North Texas. We lost a low scoring game.

I lost a girlfriend over that game. I cursed so, so bad - she said she had never seen me lose my cool like that before, led to an argument and the end of that relationship.

Although very happy in my life, I do wonder how much more content my sports life would have been if I swore of MT athletics that night instead of her.....

I lost a girlfriend over that game. I cursed so, so bad - she said she had never seen me lose my cool like that before, led to an argument and the end of that relationship.

Although very happy in my life, I do wonder how much more content my sports life would have been if I swore of MT athletics that night instead of her.....
Lol. Probably a good thing it happened then before tying the knot and buying her a house, car and a 401.

Reactions: Predarat
Lol. Probably a good thing it happened then before tying the knot and buying her a house, car and a 401.

If she thought that was bad, I’m glad she wasn’t around for the final 5 minutes of the Troy game in 2006. Heck, I’m glad my actual wife wasn’t around then....

Mtsu at Uga 2003. I was a senior in high school. Went with a bunch of high school teammates/classmates at the time(from georgia). UGA was coming off the whooping of clemson the week before, 30-0 i believe. That was their David Greene/pollack team. We played them extremely tough that first half. Tied at 3 after the first quarter. I was losing my $hit lol. All my friends couldn't believe what was happening. 10-3 halftime score. UGA went on to win 29-10. I've always been a fan of the plucky underdog. I much rather build and grow something than to walk in a situation where its already at the top and your goal is to stay there. Not that I needed hooking but I was hooked. Couldn't explain it then and still can't to a point lol.Why some random small(had to always explain it wasn't small) school in tennessee?

Went with my dad a week later to clemson. Met a gentleman by the name of Allen Hale(some of you may know) there before the game. Was super friendly to us. Started talking to my dad about MT before my dad had to tell him I was the fan and he was just the driver. Spoke for what seemed like hours. Considering I didn't really know anyone from Middle at the time, this was an absolute thrill. gave me his card and told me to come to the boro for a game and look him up. Went the following year to the North texas game in 2004. Met us before the game and gave us tickets, not that they were hard to come by. To this day whenever I make it up to the boro for a game, I always stop by and say hello to Mr. Hale and his wife. That led me to go to more. Went to FAU at FAU in 2009. met up with some random dude from the old BRZ board before the game. I now count him as one of my best friends.

Its funny, as much as we gripe and complain about the state of MT athletics at the end of the day it is just a game. sure,, I would love to win championships and go to the sweet sixteen(please just once) but One can never replace the relationships that have been made because of this special little place.

side note to that UGA game. Believe the cover was 20 or so. They went up 29-3 late, missed the extra point. Kerry wright caught a 71 yd TD with 2 minutes left. Covered baby.

It would NEVER end, it would NEVER be enough, she would make you swear off something else, and then another and then another. You dodged a fatal bullet that night.

It would NEVER end, it would NEVER be enough, she would make you swear off something else, and then another and then another. You dodged a fatal bullet that night.
Yeah, either you wear the pants... or she will...

I must not have been clear.

I meant giving up MT athletics 15 years ago for MY sanity.

ADVERTISEMENT