ADVERTISEMENT

Father-Son coaching situation not going well in Iowa....

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Writers calling for advertisers to pull their advertisements until Ferentz fires his son, who is the OC. Kirk Ferentz, the Iowa head coach, is contracted with the university through 2029. Hmm.

Brutal article below regarding Iowa football and it's offense.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Not to mention daddy Ferentz has done way more than Stock. Frequently ranked, he is .614 with two conference titles, plus two division titles.

If Lil Stock was our OC, Daddy's head would still be being called for.

I am jealous of people actually caring. We have no media calling for any change at all for us.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Meanwhile. Will Healy was fired today in the middle of the season. Even Charlotte, who has only played football for eight years and only one winning season (7-6), has standards. He also has a contract through 2026.

Buyout? Rest of this year's salary and $1.5M. We still owe CRS at least $6M after this year. SMH

Reactions: Hop45
I must be a glutton for punishment. Between us and WVU. It literally is the same thing, just less time.

Brown signed a 5yr deal starting in 2019. After the 2020 season it was extended two years. He was 11-11.

He now is 20-22 and if fired before end of this calendar year, owed $20.2m. Fired in the 2023 year, $16.7m.

Apparently I just can't be a fan of a winning successful having standards program.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I wasn't trying to draw parallels here. I'm done discussing MT football. It's dead to me.

Just wanted to point out that nepotism usually doesn't go well and should be avoided. The only instance I can think of where nepotism in football wasn't a disaster involves the Kiffin family. Lane, Monte, and Chris have generally been successful coaches and have coached together at a few stops. But each of the Kiffin's cut their teeth and proved their worth before being given jobs by family members, which is key.

I agree, however, nepotism to this degree is a little weird to me. There are plenty of coaching jobs where a son can prove himself sans father
The problem we have is the head coach, not the son. Stockstill was a bad coach when Brent was in junior high, that is the constant.

I just go back tohis interview and told me all I needed to know. One idiot asleep while Stockstill was steering the bus toward the cliff with his lone question.

Meanwhile. Will Healy was fired today in the middle of the season. Even Charlotte, who has only played football for eight years and only one winning season (7-6), has standards. He also has a contract through 2026.

Buyout? Rest of this year's salary and $1.5M. We still owe CRS at least $6M after this year. SMH
I was about to say they also were paying him 500k per year. A little easier to swallow that buyout.

I was about to say they also were paying him 500k per year. A little easier to swallow that buyout.
No, that's his base. His total comp is $800K. Even if he was due full it would be a minimum of $2 million and max of $3.2 million. Charlotte just had the foresight to include specific buyout for ineptitude (thus the $1.5M). MT on the other hand rewards it.

By my calculations, CRS has earned almost $15M from MT and by the time his contract is done if he fulfills it will be career earnings from MT of at least $21 million - and that's assuming he doesn't trigger any more automatic extensions.

College sports was never meant for this - but here we are.

By my calculations, CRS has earned almost $15M from MT and by the time his contract is done if he fulfills it will be career earnings from MT of at least $21 million - and that's assuming he doesn't trigger any more automatic extensions.

I honestly don't have a problem with Brent on staff. He was on staff at two other schools before coming here. And obviously Daddy Stock went by the book even if it probably was a shoe in.

I don't know how Kirk's offense is, but we know Stock's. There will be changes here and there, but this is a Rick Stockstill offense. Always will no matter if Brent ever becomes OC or not.

And I've said before, I don't blame Stock at all. I've signed the contract too. And the more I read and talk to people, this is all on McPhee. CM is just along for the ride.

meh, I still don't think there should be a direct report line with nepotism. A lot of companies do not allow this to be in direct reporting structures because of obvious reasons.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
meh, I still don't think there should be a direct report line with nepotism. A lot of companies do not allow this to be in direct reporting structures because of obvious reasons.
I agree. I think the problem everyone had was its in black and white with the policy. I agree with Phil, the everyone else is doing it excuse is garbage.

Bottom line, here we are. Like we're hanging out in the basement with no tv to watch games and no bar full of alcohol to drown our sorrows.

Yea, I forgot about that... I care zero about the sport of basketball, so I guess that could be why...

But you are correct... What the heck, everyone else is doing it...
The thing is, though, Matt was a high level assistant at UK as well as the head man at Ole Miss, so his resume is pretty stout. I have ZERO problems with him easing into the HC position when Rick hangs it up.

Last edited:
The thing is, though, Matt was a high level assistant and UK as well as the head man at Ole Miss, so his resume is pretty stout. I have ZERO problems with him easing into the HC position when Rick hangs it up.
Ditto. He was never even a true on staff assistant here. He learned while at UT, transferred here to finish then went the AAU route before landing LaT, then UK, (and he was there for nearly 5 yrs) then the Ole Miss head job.

Son or not that is a resume no one would fuss over being hired as an assistant. And now being associate HC as a former SEC head coach, no big deal. Totally different in my opinion.

He will wind up as the King's replacement, but it will be earned. He will be a way better coach next time around not to mention his recruiting is off the freaking charts.

Ditto. He was never even a true on staff assistant here. He learned while at UT, transferred here to finish then went the AAU route before landing LaT, then UK, (and he was there for nearly 5 yrs) then the Ole Miss head job.

Son or not that is a resume no one would fuss over being hired as an assistant. And now being associate HC as a former SEC head coach, no big deal. Totally different in my opinion.

He will wind up as the King's replacement, but it will be earned. He will be a way better coach next time around not to mention his recruiting is off the freaking charts.
Agree... Totally ok with it if they cut their teeth someplace else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT