ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Committee Idea

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
This is totally a steal from Marshall but is a fantastic idea. I re-tweeted it to CM and Lee.

Regardless of how the FB season plays out, a fan committee is what MT athletics needs. It will (hopefully) serve to reengage fans, allow the admin to hear from the average fan, and find ways to improve the experience / grow the brand.

I'm not sure anything but winning championships in football will change the direction of the program. In order to do that and excite the fan base, you are going to have to have a brand new coach and staff. I can't imagine any committee has a shot at being successful without a new head coach and winning on a consistent basis.

I am tempted to view such a committee as a reprise of the one which thought a horse with wings was good idea.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Why do I think this "fan" committee is going be just be a bunch of people that think you're not a "real fan" if you have anything critical to say?

Marshall is doing theirs on 2yr terms. Keep the new blood and ideas flowing. It will all depend on how they are choosing that new blood if the status quo stays or if new blood can actually bring new ideas.

I'm not sure anything but winning championships in football will change the direction of the program. In order to do that and excite the fan base, you are going to have to have a brand new coach and staff. I can't imagine any committee has a shot at being successful without a new head coach and winning on a consistent basis.

I am tempted to view such a committee as a reprise of the one which thought a horse with wings was good idea.
When the time comes from Stock to be replaced, they have to go big. They can’t hire a TE coach from a middle of the pack SEC program.

They need someone that can rally the fanbase & sell the program

I don't see this administration allowing this because it would allow a public soapbox to potentially evolve and they are fearful of public scrutiny...

I agree with you. There is zero chance this committee will be more than M&M acolytes.

All valid concerns. It's a start is how I look at it. More fan engagement needs to happen and at least Lee is trying. I absolutely worry he will get fed up with those above him and say forget it and leave. So I do hope this becomes fruitful.

Will it work, who knows. But I'd gladly serve a term to at least try.

Hey, at the worst, you'd get a few free meals out of it for get-togethers now and then.

I hope for the best, but I doubt anything will change as long as a shoddy political appointment sits in Cope.

Why do I think this "fan" committee is going be just be a bunch of people that think you're not a "real fan" if you have anything critical to say?
I agree. After 17 years and all Stock can claim is a back door shared title in Year 1 with the school that regularly owned us in the SunBelt.
If they think they can fire up some new blood with this initiative then have at it. Except for maybe an occasional game that appeals to me, I already told them what it’s gonna take for me to come back and start giving again. It starts with a new Head Football Coach (and staff).
We have assistant coaches who have been here for multiple years. In their profession, those who really excel move on and up their professional food chain (prime example is Manny). We have assistant coaches who have regressed in their career from Coordinator and Head Coach to position coaches. Now Stock is loading his staff with his former players which is another red flag for nepotism and good ‘ol boy reciprocation.

They are milking my alma mater for all it’s worth and I refuse to support it any longer.

Last edited:
When the time comes from Stock to be replaced, they have to go big. They can’t hire a TE coach from a middle of the pack SEC program.

They need someone that can rally the fanbase & sell the program
The would require some ambition to be great. Or even good. I don't think we have it, and I think that's why our fan base has melted away. People can handle losing. They can't handle not trying.

That said, I still think this could be an attractive G5 program. We're in a great area in fertile recruiting grounds. If the facilities thing actually happens, that would be a draw. Really, other than Liberty's massive budget, there's not a whole lot of peer teams in our conference that have much more than we do.

I'm not claiming that Middle is a sleeping giant. But there's more to work with here than our results would have indicated.

I agree. After 17 years and all Stock can claim is a back door shared title in Year 1 with the school that regularly owned us in the SunBelt.
If they think they can fire up some new blood with this initiative then have at it. Except for maybe an occasional game that appeals to me, I already told them what it’s gonna take for me to come back and start giving again. It starts with a new Head Football Coach (and staff).
We have assistant coaches who have been here for multiple years. In their profession, those who really excel move on and up their professional food chain (prime example is Manny). We have assistant coaches who have regressed in their career from Coordinator and Head Coach to position coaches. Now Stock is loading his staff with his former players which is another red flag for nepotism and good ‘ol boy reciprocation.

They are milking my alma mater for all it’s worth and I refuse to support it any longer.
I feel sorry for the poor folks who they just hired to try to promote this garbage of a football program.

The would require some ambition to be great. Or even good. I don't think we have it, and I think that's why our fan base has melted away. People can handle losing. They can't handle not trying.

That said, I still think this could be an attractive G5 program. We're in a great area in fertile recruiting grounds. If the facilities thing actually happens, that would be a draw. Really, other than Liberty's massive budget, there's not a whole lot of peer teams in our conference that have much more than we do.

I'm not claiming that Middle is a sleeping giant. But there's more to work with here than our results would have indicated.
I totally agree with this. Not sure how many of you listen to "Cover 3" college football podcast, but they recently talked about conferences will start looking into southern schools (predicate for BIG getting two CAL schools) simply because that is where the American people are moving and growing. MT is geographically in a goldmine and I think/hope that if we put together three solid years in athletics, eyeballs would turn.

I also think because of this there is a concerted effort by other in-state schools to do everything they can to keep us down.

I know MT athletics has tried similar things in the past (and folks have been ignored). I get that. A LOT of folks in the MT fanbase have bad memories of the old regime & it's easy to be skeptical. I know I am.

It's not consistent to complain when fans are considered & then complain when they are.

All I'll say is give the fan committee a chance. If it bombs, it bombs.

But De Leon has engaged EVERYWHERE he's been. ULL. Purdue. He helped build the stadium at ACU. He's the guy most MT fans have been begging for. Give him (and the team) a chance.

I know MT athletics has tried similar things in the past (and folks have been ignored). I get that. A LOT of folks in the MT fanbase have bad memories of the old regime & it's easy to be skeptical. I know I am.

It's not consistent to complain when fans are considered & then complain when they are.

But De Leon has engaged EVERYWHERE he's been. ULL. Purdue. He helped build the stadium at ACU. He's the guy most MT fans have been begging for. Give him (and the team) a chance.

I can't give this enough thumbs up. Yes CM replied to my email during the CUSA grand exit, and I will gladly call him out for doing so. But he rarely answers other emails or tweets.

Everything I've ever tagged Lee in has gotten a reply. DMs answered. He and he alone is the reason I am hopeful for this committee. Why I'm willing to give it a chance. I would gladly serve due to my MT pride, but his approach and desire to grow MT would make me proud to serve.

I think we absolutely have to give this a chance. The timing is right. CRS could stay for years, but deep down i think he is nearing retirement. We all know he won't be here for forever. MBB appears and hopefully is in the upswing. The King is slowly letting Matt do more, won't be here much longer, and deserves a proper send off. And the facilities upgrades are beginning. Now is the perfect time for a committee to start to prepare and develop plans for those things.

A lot of the BRAA is older. Just a fact. This is an opportunity to have older, younger, fresh alumni, students, business owners, etc all combine for ideas to grow athletics. And if even just a few of the ideas come through, it will only serve for more people to want to be involved.

Go for it. 👍

I have a bit of a bias with this answer, I admit, but a passionate fan group can really influence a sports organization’s product for better or worse when it comes to providing a strong quality game day experience to the community. Highly engaged fans can make or break the game day experience required for customer retention of casual fans, and there’s not a dang thing the organization (the school) can do for it. Sort of like the relationship between a business and social media influencers.
A partnership between the school and the fans that care enough to join this committee would be very beneficial to both. Both parties can hold each other accountable and be on the same page.

Ask and you shall receive GoMiddle.

Now, all y’all go apply and share your brilliant ideas with the MT athletics staff (and not just vent on a message board).

Seriously. Go apply.

I asked Lee about virtual for those out of town and he said absolutely, but of course wants people who come to games regularly too. Makes total sense.

I think I'm gonna hold off till next time. See how it goes and they get a system going. I'm only gonna be attending one football game this year at home. Basketball I attend will be away. Doesn't make sense for me to take up a spot on the committee while only attending one home event. I'd love to be part of it, but I'm sure there are others closer.

Reactions: ldeleon5
ADVERTISEMENT