ADVERTISEMENT

Facilities Ground Breaking Announced!!!

And home MBB game against Charlotte at 6pm. Smart of them to try to make it a full event. Step in the right direction after people fussing about the timing of the tennis groundbreaking.
Also in that email

We hope that you can join us afterwards for the

Men’s Basketball home game vs. Charlotte at 6:00 p.m.”​

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Anyone know the amount needed to be raised in order to begin the Murphy Center improvements?

I still think the IPF should go second.

IIRC, Phase 1 funding is complete (SAPC).
Phase 2 funding is underway, but I'm not sure what the $$$ is to get the green light from the BoT, state, etc
Phase 3 is the same way.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
This is an educated guess but I’d say phase two needed around 20 million. I’d assume they are well on their way to having funding secured for that phase considering there was an increase to the Build Blue campaign.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Not athletics but should be interesting to see what he can do.

Anybody know or heard of this guy? Not exactly what I envisioned for someone overseeing fundraising, but let’s hope it all works out.

Got this email today:

Dr. Sidney A. McPhee invites you to the groundbreaking for the

STUDENT-ATHLETE

PERFORMANCE CENTER

at Kennon Sports Hall of Fame

Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.​
Awesome! I was beginning to wonder when they were going to break ground on this facility. Question - Is it supposed to be completed this year or in 2024?

Awesome! I was beginning to wonder when they were going to break ground on this facility. Question - Is it supposed to be completed this year or in 2024?
Oh, at least 24. It'll mean temporarily moving the weight room to Murphy, tearing down that whole building, the upper endzone bleachers. And that is before they can even really start.

Then it will lead straight in to the Murphy upgrades. That whole area will be a construction zone for at least the next two-three years. Minimum.

Reactions: Bolt_Up_72
The last ribbon cutting ceremony I attended was in 2009 for the baseball stadium renovation to which I contributed.

Since that 44-18 season to date through 2022, our overall Blue Raider baseball record is:
367 - 375 - 2

Right where we always are. In the Middle.

Facilities. 😂😂

Like I said in a previous post, you younger guys feel free to drink the kool-aid. But I’ve done my part for this 17-20 year crew. Show me real change from the top down and I might take another sip. But not before.

Last edited:
The last ribbon cutting ceremony I attended was in 2009 for the baseball stadium renovation to which I contributed.

Since that 44-18 season to date through 2022, our overall Blue Raider baseball record is:
367 - 375 - 2

Facilities. 😂😂
Aside from a couple tennis courts, is 2009 the last major athletic construction project we have completed?
Wow!
Once Steve Smith and his diddy got their names on something he hasn’t been to eager to lead the way on anything else.

Aside from a couple tennis courts, is 2009 the last major athletic construction project we have completed?
Wow!
Once Steve Smith and his diddy got their names on something he hasn’t been to eager to lead the way on anything else.
On campus, yes I think so. Golf clubhouse was built at The Grove in 2021. Indoor tennis with the city was built in 2015. Outdoor tennis is of course under construction now at a whopping $7m.

Softball was updated in 2006 with new dugouts, concessions, etc. That probably was the last major reno besides baseball.

The last major renovation to Floyd was orchestrated, spearheaded and opened by former BRAA Director, Alan Farley in 2012 for the Jeff Hendrix Stadium Club. The two who followed him still claim credit for it in their bios at their previous and current respective institutions, both of which are outright lies. Just Google them.

367 - 375 - 2

Facilities. 😂😂

Like I said in a previous post, you younger guys feel free to drink the kool-aid. But I’ve done my part for this 17-20 year crew. Show me real change from the top down and I might take another sip. But not before.
Right there with ya.

We stopped donating to BRAA and gave up our 4 chair back season tickets in 2016. Need to see some change before I entertain the idea of giving money again.

I saw this article. We could easily do this for a fraction of the cost (our cost is supposed to be 15million). The entire project at Richar Siegel Park was 14 million and that’s with wayyyy more being down than just this facility (see notes below).

• Nine new synthetic turf fields located at the 16-field complex.
  • Indoor soccer training facility.
  • Increased seating at the Championship Field, along with drainage improvements.
  • Office and classroom space.
  • Improvement to the Jordan Farm Practice Fields with restrooms and lighting.
  • Recruitment of regional and national tournaments and events to the City with the goal of 20,000 hotel event-associated room nights for such events.
  • City control of the operations and scheduling of the facility.
  • City retention of revenues associated with rental and usage of the facility.
  • TSSA priority usage of the facility.
  • Relocation of TSSA headquarters to the facility with lease agreement for office space.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I saw this article. We could easily do this for a fraction of the cost (our cost is supposed to be 15million). The entire project at Richar Siegel Park was 14 million and that’s with wayyyy more being down than just this facility (see notes below).

• Nine new synthetic turf fields located at the 16-field complex.
  • Indoor soccer training facility.
  • Increased seating at the Championship Field, along with drainage improvements.
  • Office and classroom space.
  • Improvement to the Jordan Farm Practice Fields with restrooms and lighting.
  • Recruitment of regional and national tournaments and events to the City with the goal of 20,000 hotel event-associated room nights for such events.
  • City control of the operations and scheduling of the facility.
  • City retention of revenues associated with rental and usage of the facility.
  • TSSA priority usage of the facility.
  • Relocation of TSSA headquarters to the facility with lease agreement for office space.

I've wondered the same thing of why the cost is so high. I know they are putting a track in it too since that is coming out of Murphy but it seems really high for what essentially is a prefab metal building with some brick veneer.

Idk if there will be some offices or conference rooms included for scouts to meet with players? Small spectator seating I'm sure. HVAC is never cheap either but that price tag seems super high.

Maybe the cost is so high because it includes money for kickbacks.

I've wondered the same thing of why the cost is so high. I know they are putting a track in it too since that is coming out of Murphy but it seems really high for what essentially is a prefab metal building with some brick veneer.

Idk if there will be some offices or conference rooms included for scouts to meet with players? Small spectator seating I'm sure. HVAC is never cheap either but that price tag seems super high.
Yeah that’s all I can think of. The one at RSP is including hvac so it cannot be that much.

• Sad
Live streaming it on the main school FB page.

Edit...tried posting a link but wouldn't let me.

Jesus I didn’t realize this doesn’t build the indoor practice facility. That’s disheartening, we will probably see one built in 10 years

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Jesus I didn’t realize this doesn’t build the indoor practice facility. That’s disheartening, we will probably see one built in 10 years
I knew it was dead last in the priorities. The thing I would like to know from the images I have seen where is the indoor track going(?) that apparently is being given up in the Murphy Center phase renovation?????

I have not seen any renderings that allude to that.

It’s really weird that we don’t have a IPF.

I wish they would have a plan for that. Again, so much to say about that. Maybe a mail bag question for our resident associate ad?

I knew it was dead last in the priorities. The thing I would like to know from the images I have seen where is the indoor track going(?) that apparently is being given up in the Murphy Center phase renovation?????

I have not seen any renderings that allude to that.
Track is going in the IPF.

From my understanding
Phase 1 SAPC

Phase 2 New Murph entrance, remodeling of basement since football locker rooms and office will be in the SAPC. New practice courts as well and moving of the loading dock.

Phase 3 IPF

The track is coming out for new concourse and club seating. I'm not sure if it is part of Phase 2, 3 or a mix. I tried looking on the original announcement but I'm sure much has changed.

The master plan has the entire north end of the Murphy court becoming club seating but I think things have been changed a bit for this build.

So IPF will probably not happen in the next 7 years...at least.
I'd say closer to 5.

SAPC est time is 18 months. CM said hoping for ribbon cutting fall of '24. Supposedly funding for it of $66m is secured. I guess from fees as BuildBlue is only up to $18m. (Which is still pretty impressive all things considered).

Murphy could start immediately after or even while SAPC is ongoing, say 18 months for that. CM said they are shooting for ribbon cutting on it ASAP so it sounds like it isn't tied to full completion of Phase 1, just needs funding.
A lot of it can be done no matter the weather which will help. If things go smooth....big if.....IPF starting around '26 and done by '27. Surely it won't take more than a year.

Our “leadership” if you want to call it that lacks vision and generally competence as well.

IPF should have come first. With Bidens inflation by the time we get to it the price will probably be double and we’ll have to delay it another five years from that date.

ADVERTISEMENT