ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Explain this

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
McDevitt and staff brought in a four member class (3 freshmen and 1 JUCO) eligible to play this year. They had approximately 8 months to assemble this class after coming to MT.
Yet, here we are in the middle of the season, we see newcomers contributing at every level of college basketball, and here are some combined stats for these McDevitt recruits for last weeks' 2 game homestand: 17 points, 18 rebounds, and 2 assists.
Four players: Two games (Millin DNP against Marshall - haven't seen or heard why he wasn't used) and the total stat line would be good for, perhaps, one player in those 2 games. As for Jackson we all agree he has upside but why has his production fallen off? Could it be that conference scouting is much more exacting, teams are more prepared for his skillset, and either he hasn't adjusted or possibly the staff doesn't know how to coach him to compensate. (I am aware that he lost a relative during the recent road trip causing him to miss practice time and that there are possibly emotional things he is working through)
With our short bench we needed immediate, reliable, and consistent production from our newcomers. We're not getting it. Recruiting or coaching?

Both recruiting and coaching is the problem. Mcdevitt is responsible for getting players that can actually shoot and score. He has not done that. In fact the shooters he inherited (Green and Sims) have gotten worse. The roster management has been horrible. He seems to like tall guards but the ones he are getting cant shoot or handle the ball.

Watching his postgame presser on the dnj website was downright painful.

I have to agree with Wiley. The guy is way in over his head.

I almost made the trip to MBoro and changed my mind at the last minute when a cousin passing through to ATL wanted to drop by the house.

As a coach, he is trash. They are so bad. I mean "forfeit the season" bad. No excuse. He's lucky jellyspine is his boss. He'd already have a sign in his yard and his bags would be packed if I was the AD. He just ain't the guy. We'll drag it out for years but he ain't the one.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT