ADVERTISEMENT

Experienced MTSU defensive line eager to set tone

MTLynn

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
DNJ excerpt:

Rhodes, a starter for five games in 2014, is one of five players returning on the defensive line who started at least one game a year ago.

Fellow defensive end Alexandro Antoine, who is missing all of spring practice after tearing his ACL in November of 2014, started four games. Defensive tackles Shaquille Huff and Pat McNeil, who combined to start 23 of a possible 24 games a year ago, return as well, along with fellow tackle Jimal McBride, who started one game in McNeil's absence.

Those returners, along with with contributors like end Chris Hale and tackle Raynard Felton, have the potential to turn the position into a big strength of the team's defense in 2015.

"We've got a lot of guys returning and those guys are beginning to understand the game," defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix said. "They're really improving."

However, the defensive line's depth did take a hit earlier this spring when Jahmal Jones, listed at No. 1 on the team's depth chart at left end starting spring practice, tore his ACL in the second week of workouts.

Jones' injury, coupled with Antoine's absence, have vaulted Hale to the top of the depth chart. The junior has answered the bell.

"Chris Hale has had a really good first two weeks of practice," MTSU coach Rick Stockstill said. "I'm pleased with where we are up front."

The group came away with four sacks during the first scrimmage of the year last week, while holding the team's offense to just 3.2 yards per carry on 50 rushes.

MTSU allowed 4.3 yards per rush last season and gave up 182.6 rushing yards per game, which ranked ninth in Conference USA.

"We're bigger and we're stronger," Nix said. "That's a testament to our offseason program. Those guys put in the time to be better and it's starting to show."

Experienced MTSU defensive line eager to set tone

This is Nix's 4th year? With bigger size on the DL and a seasoned group of LB's along with an all american in Byard - shouldn't we expect by now a good D?

We really need this side of the ball to make dramatic improvement - I don't expect us to slow down the Bama's, but I do expect this group to be above average in CUSA play.

Hoping they get it done.

I agree, I want to hear that we will start covering receivers tighter and not giving a 5-8 yard cushion. Also, that we have figured a way to cover the middle of the field.

Originally posted by mbg2g:
I agree, I want to hear that we will start covering receivers tighter and not giving a 5-8 yard cushion. Also, that we have figured a way to cover the middle of the field.
Why? With stats and rankings like this who needs to throw it against us?

"MTSU allowed 4.3 yards per rush last season and gave up 182.6 rushing yards per game, which ranked ninth in Conference USA."

The truth is we were bad against the run and the pass. We game up a lot of big plays. Something like 48 passing plays of greater than 20 yards.

Its not just soft coverage, its not just defending the run, its not just big plays - its everything.

I just wish they would pick something to excel at and commit to it, I think the identity is to bend don't break and hope for turnovers.

Right now, I would take an average D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT