SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Huntington, WV Herald Dispatch:

...Pending NCAA approval, which appears to be no problem, C-USA's bowl
lineup for the 2015 football season would expand from six to eight,
thanks to the recent addition of two new bowls.

Say howdy to the Arizona Bowl, located in Tucson, and a bowl in Austin, Texas, to be named later.

I'm not making this stuff up, folks.

A total of four new bowl games are pending approval,
including the Cure Bowl in Orlando, Fla. and another located in Little
Rock, Ark., as well as the aforementioned Arizona Bowl and the one in
Austin, Texas.

The Arizona Bowl will feature a matchup between members of
C-USA and the Mountain West Conference while the Austin-based bowl will
pit C-USA vs. an opponent from the American Athletic Conference....

Eight bowl games a bit much for C-USA slate

Well, considering that two 6-6 teams stayed home last year...is 8 bowl games too much for CUSA?

I get the whole over saturation of bowl games argument, but at this point, what's two more?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm OK with a bunch of bowl games. I think it's kind of cool that about half of all the teams get pitted against a school from another conference at the end of the season, usually of about the same talent. It gives us some unusual match ups and just makes for a lot of fun as they're usually held in cities with lots to do.

Now, for the problem with bowl games. People need to stop viewing bowl games in the same light they did 10 years ago as an acceptable benchmark. It is SO much easier now to reach a bowl game (especially if you play a gimme schedule like MT) that it should no longer be viewed as a milestone achievement but rather a requirement of the job. At some point, "bowl eligibility" needs to be further analyzed into total W/L's and top 25 rankings.

Big difference between a 6-6 "bowl eligible" team and a 9-3 "bowl eligible" team.

With regards to MT......with the type of schedules we have played lately, "bowl eligibility" should be the bare damn minimum for our coaches to collect their paycheck. It does get a little more challenging this season for us, but still, it's so much easier these days to become "bowl eligible" versus 10 years ago when we played fewer games and much tougher opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT