ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Donte Houston Jr. surprises and picks....

Either academic or has hopes of getting "better" offers after a post-grad year in prep school.
Disappointing for sure.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Kind of suspected that our staff knew this long ago after the offers started going out for JUCO PG's. I have heard there are no plans for roster turnover which means only 1 slot left. So if they're offering JUCO PG's, then that didn't leave any room for Houston.

Reactions: Matt Dossett
Yeah.... Nick has signed a few prep school guys so he may end up here eventually

This is certainly disappointing. I had my fingers crossed. If Nick is still here in the next recruiting cycle, then it may be time to do more than remove my cash and take crposton's advice and just leave anything for MT behind. The football decisions have almost already put me there. I mean I will always have that UT diploma I can use to waste my time on their sports.

I can't even begin to describe how much I look forward to all the lost reality delusions of grandeur posts about how the team next year with virtually the same level of talent and skill as the team that won four games this year is going to somehow win 20 games next year and be a contender.

Last edited:
There is a PF here in Ga, 6'7" can play 2 guard as well. He was committed to ETSU and didn't sign early period. Staff has not reached out. Kid is currently be courted by VT, Texas, ETSU and Pitt.

Reactions: MTLynn
This is certainly disappointing. I had my fingers crossed. If Nick is still here in the next recruiting cycle, then it may be time to do more than remove my cash and take crposton's advice and just leave anything for MT behind. The football decisions have almost already put me there. I mean I will always have that UT diploma I can use to waste my time on their sports.

I can't even begin to describe how much I look forward to all the lost reality delusions of grandeur posts about how the team next year with virtually the same level of talent and skill as the team that won four games this year is going to somehow win 20 games next year and be a contender.
Why wait?

Reactions: kingaling42
Why wait?

Because I care you. Do you? Really? You prove with comments like this that you don’t really give a damn about the university and it’s success. You only care that it provides you some benefit to you. Some source of entertainment perhaps? It, ostensibly bothers people like you that I’m able to see a bigger picture - as if it’s an insult - whereas I actually hope to educate. I care about its success because if we continue to hemorrhage our fan base which is absolutely what’s happening right now there is a very real consequence. Eventually states are going to throw in the towel and stop funding those of us that require high subsidies. If you don’t believe this is feasible you’re living in a fantasy land. We are in a state that already doesn’t give a damn whether we exist or not. You don’t need me to highlight the many examples. We are just one fiscal crisis away from becoming an Idaho or even worse a Pacific Univ or even worse a combination of Pacific and Birmingham Southern where we drop football completely and leave Division I in all other sports for a lower division that’s irrelevant. And that next financial crisis may be here right now because of COVID-19. Again, if you don’t think this possible then you aren’t paying attention. But your comments indicate you are completely fine losing our fan base including our most fervent die hard supporters. If that’s truly your position just because you don’t like things I say because I’m honest and tell it like it is then so be it. But don’t pretend your really care, because if you did you would want to see us succeed as opposed to enabling our current failed state of our university and athletics program, so that we would get the fan base back and avoid a worst case scenario that is growing more probable every single day.

There is one thing that I can assure you that you will never see from me and that is suggesting that you should somehow leave and no longer be a supporter of the University. Because we can’t lose anymore. As we have already lost probably more than half of the fan base over the last few years in both major sports

Last edited:
So I just watched the 2016 historical game where we beat no.2 seed Michigan St. We don't have anyone on this team now even close to the caliber of players we had on that team. Not just that, the coaching was next level, the practice philosophy, the discipline and the toughness. We have none of that now. This kid who we all wanted couldn't get his grades where they needed to be so he doesn't have the discipline or mental toughness. He had the skill and is a great player but still wasn't Reggie Upshaw level when it comes to mental toughness and discipline. We are recuiting kids now who can't even get on the campus. What is this coach doing? If the staff truly knew this kid was a bust, why didn't they pull the offer? SMH.

Like I said, if we get 10 wins next year, I'll be shocked. If we don't commit 25 turnovers a game, I'll be shocked. 4 years ago yesteday, we did the impossible. Today, it's about impossible to imagine us ever getting to .500 again let alone making a postseason.

Because I care you. Do you? Really? You prove with comments like this that you don’t really give a damn about the university and it’s success. You only care that it provides you some benefit to you. Some source of entertainment perhaps? It, ostensibly bothers people like you that I’m able to see a bigger picture - as if it’s an insult - whereas I actually hope to educate. I care about its success because if we continue to hemorrhage our fan base which is absolutely what’s happening right now there is a very real consequence. Eventually states are going to throw in the towel and stop funding those of us that require high subsidies. If you don’t believe this is feasible you’re living in a fantasy land. We are in a state that already doesn’t give a damn whether we exist or not. You don’t need me to highlight the many examples. We are just one fiscal crisis away from becoming an Idaho or even worse a Pacific Univ or even worse a combination of Pacific and Birmingham Southern where we drop football completely and leave Division I in all other sports for a lower division that’s irrelevant. And that next financial crisis may be here right now because of COVID-19. Again, if you don’t think this possible then you aren’t paying attention. But your comments indicate you are completely fine losing our fan base including our most fervent die hard supporters. If that’s truly your position just because you don’t like things I say because I’m honest and tell it like it is then so be it. But don’t pretend your really care, because if you did you would want to see us succeed as opposed to enabling our current failed state of our university and athletics program, so that we would get the fan base back and avoid a worst case scenario that is growing more probable every single day.

There is one thing that I can assure you that you will never see from me and that is suggesting that you should somehow leave and no longer be a supporter of the University. Because we can’t lose anymore. As we have already lost probably more than half of the fan base over the last few years in both major sports
How do you support the athletic department? Do you attend games? Do you donate money? As far as I am concerned complaining on a message board and talking about how you no longer go or give money is not support. Cannot say you support and do neither of those things if you are able. I want us to succeed and my giving money and attendance does not enable anything. I think it is you that does not see the big picture. Funding is a problem and the answer is to stop giving? Attendance is a problem and the answer is to not attend? The only way I know to help us succeed is give what I can and attend the games I can. Full arenas and stadiums will do alot with both funding and recruiting. I of course want all the support we can get, but I cannot stand people who say they are fans and only support the teams when things are going good. I understand the frustration and thinking of putting pressure by not giving or attending, but it is not hurting the administration or coaches. It is only hurting the players. So I do not want to lose any support, but where it matters you are already gone. All you are now is just another guy complaining and repeating yourself on a message board. I hope you start supporting MTSU again, but it should not just be when things are good. Either way I am done arguing with you. We disagree on how to handle the situation we are in and that is that.

Reactions: Danielhammaker
How do you support the athletic department? Do you attend games? Do you donate money? As far as I am concerned complaining on a message board and talking about how you no longer go or give money is not support. Cannot say you support and do neither of those things if you are able. I want us to succeed and my giving money and attendance does not enable anything. I think it is you that does not see the big picture. Funding is a problem and the answer is to stop giving? Attendance is a problem and the answer is to not attend? The only way I know to help us succeed is give what I can and attend the games I can. Full arenas and stadiums will do alot with both funding and recruiting. I of course want all the support we can get, but I cannot stand people who say they are fans and only support the teams when things are going good. I understand the frustration and thinking of putting pressure by not giving or attending, but it is not hurting the administration or coaches. It is only hurting the players. So I do not want to lose any support, but where it matters you are already gone. All you are now is just another guy complaining and repeating yourself on a message board. I hope you start supporting MTSU again, but it should not just be when things are good. Either way I am done arguing with you. We disagree on how to handle the situation we are in and that is that.

Yes and yes. You proved again you don't get it. Perhaps in some utopian society that likely exists where unicorns and leprechauns are plentiful what you suggest could be the case, but that’s not how the real world works. As I mentioned we have already lost at least half the fan base and probably more. Yeah full arenas and stadiums achieve all those things you say but those who are gone aren’t going to magically just have a change of heart and come back as the leadership makes one poor decision after another. It’s going to require significant changes. Yet, the administration continues doing the same thing as we literally are falling apart because of mismanagement. Sometimes you have to make short term sacrifices for long term stability. And this is where we are. This is what you can’t seem to understand for whatever reason. This is why it absolutely is the right answer for the die hard supporters who truly care to let their voices be heard because those casual fans and fence sitters aren’t coming back. It’s no different than the premise that sometimes you have to go to war to gain peace. Sometimes you have to let people get sick to let a virus run it’s path which is also coming to our society in the coming weeks/months. Where we are right now isn’t a fuzzy grey area. At this point as the die hard we either are enabling the failed state or we are doing what we can where we can to say enough is enough. At this point in time it is literally that black and white.

As for my support, you obviously don't know me and you are applying a broad stroke to someone you obviously have no clue how much of myself I have given to the univ. I have given so much of my time and money to this university over the years that I couldn't even begin to quantify it. Much like I have been an early adopter of the poor hire in CNM I was also one of the first to sound alarm on McCollums failed recruiting philosophy and why that 8-3 season in 2001 was fools gold. As he won 30% of his games the rest of the way my support never waned. I was confident we would make the right decision. And we did. When Kermit was struggling to get to the next level I never waned in my support. I was confident we would make the right decision. And we did. When CRS plodded along at .500 and went 2-10 after failing to capitalize on the NO Bowl season my support never waned. But things have changed. MT leadership is no longer making the right decisions. We continue to pile new bad ones on top of old ones. Those that know me know that over the years I have traveled the 750 miles three, four, and five times a season just for our football games alone. I have probably spent more just on airfare and travel expenses than 90% of the alumni over the last two decades. So you can save yourself some time on trying to lecture me about my support. Cheers.

So I just watched the 2016 historical game where we beat no.2 seed Michigan St. We don't have anyone on this team now even close to the caliber of players we had on that team. Not just that, the coaching was next level, the practice philosophy, the discipline and the toughness. We have none of that now. This kid who we all wanted couldn't get his grades where they needed to be so he doesn't have the discipline or mental toughness. He had the skill and is a great player but still wasn't Reggie Upshaw level when it comes to mental toughness and discipline. We are recuiting kids now who can't even get on the campus. What is this coach doing? If the staff truly knew this kid was a bust, why didn't they pull the offer? SMH.

Like I said, if we get 10 wins next year, I'll be shocked. If we don't commit 25 turnovers a game, I'll be shocked. 4 years ago yesteday, we did the impossible. Today, it's about impossible to imagine us ever getting to .500 again let alone making a postseason.

You ask why did the staff not pull the offer on a kid many here think is really really good.. well..
1. If it is a grades/test score issue then he goes to prep and you keep your good relationship intact..
2. If the kid is looking for more exposure/wants to have "bigger" offers- then you still keep your good relationship intact..

By keeping a good relationship you keep the prospects in play that you still may land the kid.. you retain your relationship with the HS coaches, the AAU coaches, and their sphere of influence.. you also have an opportunity to continue to recruit this young man and be introduced to his new coaches and teammates at Sunrise Christian which was the #4 ranked HS team (MaxPreps).. why would you want to burn a bridge to a potential gatekeeper?

There is NO DOWNSIDE to keeping an offer alive to a kid that either may not initially qualify or choose your program.

ADVERTISEMENT