ADVERTISEMENT

Donnelly statue planned

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Tennessean:

...Ed Bunio, a longtime MTSU assistant, is spearheading an effort to raise funds for a 6-foot-6 bronze statue of Donnelly to be placed in front of the Kennon Sports Hall of Fame building on campus.

Plans call for a granite wall behind the statue with the names of every player, assistant coach, trainer, manager and secretary who worked in the program during Donnelly's tenure as coach (1979-98).....

This post was edited on 12/13 5:36 PM by SpaceRaider

Donnelly statue planned for MT

The statue is a good idea. We don't need to name the field after him, one it's taken and two it's too much. The rift he has is part his choice.

Originally posted by Blueraider_Mike:
The statue is a good idea. We don't need to name the field after him, one it's taken and two it's too much. The rift he has is part his choice.
Agree. Boots has made great and lasting contributions, but not near enough to get the stadium or field named for him. Example: Roy Kidd won 2 NC at EKU during his tenure. Think at least one NC has to be garnered or something like 250-300 wins over a career. Had he won a 1-AA National Championship, could have consider in the discussion a hyphenated name such as: Jones-Donnelly Field.

I always thought that "Boots & Barbecue" would make a great name for a restaurant.

Originally posted by SpaceRaider:
Tennessean:

From the article:

"Donnelly said he preferred not to comment on the statue project at this point."

Boots is playing this close to the vest until more details are revealed about the dedication ceremony, etc. Look for McPhee to be coincidentally "out of town" or "unavailable" whenever they have the dedication ceremony. Unless I've missed my guess, Boots still doesn't want to be anywhere near McPhee's presence. I don't think that wound has healed, nor do I think it will ever be healed. That's a shame.

ADVERTISEMENT