ADVERTISEMENT

Does Anyone Feel Better a Day Later?

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
I didn’t think so. That was largely rhetorical. This will be my last post for a while. I’ve already pulled back most of my support for this university. I think most of you have already done the same. There is literally no accountability. The number one reason why I believed this is what would happen to the program goes back to the way the contract was written. Stockstill’s lone incentive was predicated on meeting just bare minimum standards to get automatic extensions and automatic raises. And he squeezed every ounce of his limited ability to lead toward meeting those mediocre expectations afforded him by the President and AD. But now those incentives aren’t even there. There was a cap placed on the number of times he could get the automatic extensions and raises. And he’s used them all up. So, now what little incentive he did have to meet those low standards aren’t even a driving factor. He’s already fleeced MT for every penny he possibly could. The only ones who are benefiting at this point is the Stockstill estate.

I don’t say that lightly. I admire Stockstill as a man. I appreciate his integrity and honesty. It’s rare to see anyone in this country lead with those principles. And I appreciate what he did to bring us out of the mess of the McCollum era, but he has never been a great head coach. It’s not like yesterday was his first brush with time management. We’ve literally watched him have the ball at midfield and a minute to play and instead of trying to score just running out the half. Add in the eggs laid in big games and on TV when we had a chance for program building momentum. Inability to use replay (e.g.that would have resulted in a win over UVA), recruiting classes that are increasingly looking like I-AA teams, and a failure to win a championship in 15 years have provided far more than enough evidence that this program is slipping further and further each year. I don’t know what more the university needs. We have far, far more data points to make such a decision to move on than most schools do, but that’s the other point. This university’s leadership has consistently and flagrantly dismissed its alumni and fan’s wishes and interests for decades. And now we see just how inept the leadership is with the hiring of the recent basketball coach. I called this out immediately how terrible that hire was and what was about to happen to the program. Others saw it too. We are a in a constant cycle of bad decisions and a culture of mediocrity. Kermit, though himself was victim to this culture early on, was one of the few people at the university who said no I won’t accept this. We can be better than that here. At first I was angry at him for leaving what he had started building but now - oh it’s clear - he absolutely made the right decision to get the hell away from this two-bit university. I’m ready to follow his lead and frankly so many others have already paved that street. I’m embarrassed I held out this long. They were right. Everyone of them to move on from this stupidity much sooner.

Moreover, the Board of Trustees should be taking a long hard look at how the university is being run and make changes. Just about every alum I know all sees the same things yet the Board has become a rubber stamp for the same little middle culture. I’m done supporting that culture.

We are so far removed from that magical ‘09 season ending in New Orleans that I can’t even recall the final score.

I tried to warn folks 6 years ago and got kicked out of the BRZ forum for posting it.

Watching the Shelby County mandated 4500 limit crowd last night in Memphis on ESPN brought back memories of the End of the Tommy West era ‘09. Except it wasn’t COVID-19 that caused a 4,500 turnstile total back then. The Memphis fanbase spoke and people finally listened. The house was swept cleaned from top to bottom over the next two years. University President included.

FR the sad part is I called it around the same time too yet I continued to support this dumpster fire. That’s what I’m most embarrassed about.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I feel better the day after since I did not watch the disaster the day of, yesterday...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT